PDA

View Full Version : MOS availability question

kirax105strike
04-10-09, 09:59 AM
So i sat down with my recruiter 2 weeks ago after swearing in and I gave him my top 3 choices of what MOS field I would like to try and enter. Its been 2 weeks I was just wondering how long it usually takes to find out the availabilities. I am only really concerned because my ship date is coming up very soon. Any ideas?

Ethos
04-10-09, 10:15 AM
So i sat down with my recruiter 2 weeks ago after swearing in and I gave him my top 3 choices of what MOS field I would like to try and enter. Its been 2 weeks I was just wondering how long it usually takes to find out the availabilities. I am only really concerned because my ship date is coming up very soon. Any ideas?

For me it took only about a week from the day I chose my MOS to the day I signed my papers. Of course it may depend on your specific MOS, but just call your recruiter to see how the process is doing.

kirax105strike
04-10-09, 10:17 AM
For me it took only about a week from the day I chose my MOS to the day I signed my papers. Of course it may depend on your specific MOS, but just call your recruiter to see how the process is doing.

I have been. Everyday I give him a call and he says he hasnt heard anything yet.

Ethos
04-10-09, 10:22 AM
I have been. Everyday I give him a call and he says he hasnt heard anything yet.

Ah okay. Then yeah it's probably looking for any availability at the moment. Out of curiousity, which MOS were your top 3 choices?

Wyoming
04-10-09, 10:26 AM

Can't you youngsters simply go see the Recruiter?

It might show you are a bit more interested.

antoinette123
04-10-09, 10:42 AM
so pretty much they aren't available? I chose my job the day before I swore in but then again that was army. I thought Marines chose their job at meps when they swore in?

NoRemorse
04-10-09, 10:44 AM

Gotta agree there, when I wanted something I had to go in and see my recruiter. We don't do negotiations over the phone; that's not initiative.

Inconvenience yourself and your recruiter by camping out in front of his office and ignoring the pitches of the other services. Shows Fortitudine :marine:

kirax105strike
04-10-09, 10:49 AM

Aye Corporal, I should have mentioned I've been stopping by as well. I work 5 feet from RSS Dallas and I actually asked him yesterday at PT.

Ah okay. Then yeah it's probably looking for any availability at the moment. Out of curiousity, which MOS were your top 3 choices?

Intel
Combat Support
Logistics

kirax105strike
04-10-09, 10:52 AM
so pretty much they aren't available? I chose my job the day before I swore in but then again that was army. I thought Marines chose their job at meps when they swore in?

You can pick your MOS at MEPS however you can also sit down with your recruiter and chose it after you've officially sworn in.

antoinette123
04-10-09, 10:57 AM
i see. like i said i chose mine the day before meps and reserved it so i could get in and out quicker...didnt work i was still there the whole day. Anyway good luck with the mos's :)

Gunner614
04-10-09, 06:57 PM

How it goes is this (correct me if im wrong), when you tell your recruiter you want a certain MOS, he has to wait for a spot to open up. Spots open up about every few months or so (?) depending on the needs of the Corps, or if someone that already has the MOS that you want ****s up. But keep in mind, if someone messed up with the MOS you want, your also competing with every other poolee that wants that particular MOS in your recruiting district, so you and your recruiter have to be fast and snatch it up quick. It also depends of whether your an Alpha or a Bravo. I hope that helps, btw I could be wrong, I'm only a nasty poolee.

kirax105strike
04-20-09, 04:11 PM
So its been 20 days and still no word. I just dont understand, I realize that if my desired MOS isnt available I have to wait for an opening but, from what I am understanding from my recruiter, he still hasnt even heard anything about any of the 3 MOS selections period. With my ship date being only 3 weeks away I am getting quite anxious.

MLMonk
04-20-09, 04:36 PM
If all else fails you'll find out training day 60 in bootcamp and the last week or so in MCT.

Gunner614
04-20-09, 05:15 PM
Just chill out and wait until graduation time around June. Your worrying too much about it.

kirax105strike
04-20-09, 06:00 PM
Ya I get what your saying but as I understand it you have to have a job or open contract in the system before you leave. I realize I will eventually be assigned something but I'd rather it be one of the 3 I selected as opposed to just being assigned a random MOS based on the Corps needs.

MLMonk
04-20-09, 06:09 PM
If I remember July 21st, I think the active duty recruits got their MOS right before we got on that bus (van in my case). Might be a bit different for your MEPS.