PDA

View Full Version : Maynard gallery will host veterans' images

thedrifter
04-10-09, 08:30 AM
Maynard gallery will host veterans' images
By Brad Petrishen/ staff writer
Thu Apr 09, 2009, 10:41 AM EDT

MAYNARD -

Burgeoning photographer Jeff Sisto’s images speak for themselves.

Often simple, always poignant, they center around the strength and loyalty of men and women of the American armed forces: a shadow-ensconced marine sits opposite an open window inside a home, a young Army couple sit on a couch with their children, a grieving veteran stands before the grave of a fallen comrade.

From May 16 to June 27, Sisto’s work will be on exhibit at Gallery Seven in Maynard as part of an event geared toward supporting families of veterans.

Kelli Costa, owner of Gallery Seven, said she will also be reserving one wall of the gallery for photos of area service members or veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

She asked that families bring her an 8-by-10-inch photo of their veteran to be framed and hung on the wall during the exhibit.

After the exhibit, the families can take the framed picture home for free.

“I’m not sure people in America understand what these people are sacrificing,” she said, adding that one of the women who dropped off a picture said her son hadn’t showered in seven months.

Costa said she plans to post about 30 pictures total, and said she still has most of the spots left. Those wishing to include their loved one in the gallery can drop off an 8-by-10-inch photo at the gallery at 7 Nason St., Maynard.

“My photographs aren’t political. They are about individuals,” said Sisto. “I think that by me photographing veterans, it really is a way to honor them because I’m in awe of people that voluntarily sign up to serve their country.”

Sisto, 34, is a former Marine and combat photographer, who served in overseas from 1999 to 2003.

“When I enlisted, I told my recruiter that I loved the History Channel. So he was able to get me into the audio/video field,” he said.

“As a combat photographer, you photograph the gamut — everything from things for intelligence purposes, to documenting what training and operations your units does, to command and award ceremonies,” he said.

Sisto said, like many others who leave the armed forces, the adjustment to civilian life was tough.

“I realized I loved [photography] as a Marine, and knew I wanted to continue being connected to Marines, the military and veterans in general,” he said.

With that in mind, Sisto enrolled in the New England School of Photography, and as part of his assignments, began building a portfolio of veteran snapshots.

“I started putting ads on Craigslist, looking for any veteran of any war who would let me film them,” he said.

Sisto said in arranging his photos, he looks for who the subject is personally and tries to bring their story to life.

“I spent a lot of time talking to them about them about who they were, and … looking at their facial expressions to best light and compose the photos.”

Accordingly, many of his photos showcase the interplay between light and shadow, and feature personal items that mean something to the subject.

For instance, one of his photos features a former medic in his scrubs next to a guitar.

“He told me he learned to play guitar when he was serving,” said Sisto. “These photos are about identity — yes, you are a civilian, but you still have those things that made you who you are now,” he said.

Sisto said he was excited to know that his images, many of which he produced while an undergraduate, will now be hung on a gallery wall.

“I’m looking for a full-time photography position, and this is a positive step,” he said.
To contact Sisto or view his portfolio, visit www.jeffsistophotography.com.

Ellie

http://www.wickedlocal.com/maynard/archive/x549599235/g13c1bd87454f610a431bcb8e584ad846716ff374fa174e.jp g

Courtesy photo
The work of former Marine Jeff Sisto is on display at a gallery in downtown Maynard.