PDA

View Full Version : Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle gets corrosion makeover

thedrifter
04-10-09, 08:16 AM
Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle gets corrosion makeover
Lance Cpl. Thomas W. Provost

CAMP KINSER, Okinawa (April 10, 2009) -- The first Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle coated with a rust resistant zinc rich primer rolled off the line at the Corrosion Rehabilitation Facility Branch on Camp Kinser March 27.

The MRAP is also the first in the Marine Corps inventory to be painted in the green, brown and black camouflage pattern.

The zinc primer will keep corrosion and rust off the MRAP vehicles up to 10 years before a new coat is needed.

The protection is especially vital in the humid ocean air of Okinawa where metal tends to rust quickly, according to William P. Antell, the Marine Corps Base Corrosion Rehabilitation Facility branch head.

"Most of them were painted in a way to get them out to the dessert where corrosion was not an issue," Antell said. "When they came to Okinawa as a training asset, the corrosion began."

Marines from the Maintenance section, Motor Transportation Company, Marine Wing Support Squadron 172, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, took notice of the corrosion. The unit took advantage of the corrosion rehabilitation facility's offer to put the resistant primer on their vehicles.

"It was one of our priorities to get the MRAP down to CRF for the corrosion treatment, said Cpl. Robert R. Reese, quality control head for maintenance section, Motor Transportation Company, MWSS-172.

With one MRAP treated and more scheduled, MWSS-172 is leading the way in corrosion efforts, Antell said.

He is encouraging all units on Okinawa to follow suit in the cost effective process. Antell stated it cost approximately $1,500 to paint and treat an MRAP.

Replacement cost for the vehicle can range from $450,000-$1 million, depending on the model.

Ellie