PDA

View Full Version : Rank Description?

firescued
04-09-09, 04:37 PM
I read somewhere a while back how to properly give a rank description if a Drill Instructor questioned you. I was unable to find it again. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

Eddie

Alisium
04-09-09, 04:39 PM
Do you mean like:

"Staff Sargeant is three stripes up, cross-rifles and one rocker down."

And it progresses forward or backward from there.

PaidinBlood
04-09-09, 04:42 PM
Do you mean like:

"Staff Sargeant is three stripes up, cross-rifles and one rocker down."

And it progresses forward or backward from there.

I think we said the paygrade as well... "SSgt....E6...Three chevrons up, one rocker down, crossed rifles..." something like that. Just learn them and when your DI so kindly informs you of the proper format you can adjust your answer to that...Number one rule is that you will be wrong...no matter what you say. Get used to it now... good luck!

firescued
04-09-09, 04:43 PM
Correct

I believe it went something like "Sir, The rank of E-2 in the Marine Corps is a Private First Class. The insignia has one rocker up, Sir".

Just not sure of the exact format the drill instructors are expecting it in.

Eddie

PaidinBlood
04-09-09, 04:44 PM
Yeah it will vary. Just keep studying and get ready.

firescued
04-09-09, 04:44 PM
Ok thanks! So chevrons are up and rockers are down.

Eddie

PaidinBlood
04-09-09, 04:46 PM
right. The chevron (or stripes?) look like the V type on the chevron logo and the rocker looks like the rocker of a rocking chair... Brilliant, I know. Sometime I'll try out my gen order mnemonics and see how those go over...

Alisium
04-09-09, 04:46 PM
Yeah, think "rockers on a rocking chair".

firescued
04-09-09, 04:47 PM
Thank you gentlemen!

KilpatrickF250
04-09-09, 04:54 PM
Good question! Adding this to my study material

Wrestler135
04-09-09, 06:38 PM
So what would you say for the first sgt. Diamond?

sparkie
04-09-09, 06:42 PM
So what would you say for the first sgt. Diamond?
Only if you are proposing,,,,,,,:beer:

Alisium
04-09-09, 06:43 PM
Yes. And Master Gunnery Sergeant would be a "bursting bomb".

MLMonk
04-09-09, 06:53 PM
It will be, at least when I said it "Sir, an E-8 in the Marine Corps is, First Sergeant, he wears, 3 stripes up, 3 stripes down, and diamonds in the center, or, Master Sergeant, he wears 3 stripes up, 3 stripes down, and crossed rifles in the center, sir!". We never said rockers, or chevrons, guess it was to not confuse the recruits. For the rank up, we did "Sir, and E-9 in the Marine Corps is, Master Gunnery Sergeant, he wears 3 stripes up, 4 stripes down, and a bursting bomb in the center, or, Sergeant Major, he wears 3 stripes up, 4 stripes down, and a 5 point star in the center, or, Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, he wears 3 stripes up, 4 stripes down, and an Eagle Globe and Anchor flanked by 2 5 point stars in the center, sir!"

Fubar5812
04-09-09, 09:58 PM
"SIR! E-5 IN THE MARINE CORPS IS SERGEANT! HE WEARS 3 STRIPES UP,CROSSED RIFLES IN THE CENTER SIR! HE IS THE BACKBONE OF THE MARINE CORPS!

that was ours,just cause our receiving D.I was a SGT.

benw2200
04-09-09, 10:00 PM
"SIR! E-5 IN THE MARINE CORPS IS SERGEANT! HE WEARS 3 STRIPES UP,CROSSED RIFLES IN THE CENTER SIR! HE IS THE BACKBONE OF THE MARINE CORPS!

that was ours,just cause our receiving D.I was a SGT.

ooh f**king rah. our senior was a SGT as well... matter of fact all my DI's were SGTs

jungholee90
04-10-09, 02:16 PM
It varies. Just say what your DI tells you to say. It's even easier when you go through it during the hump.

DI: E-6!
Rcts: E-6, Staff Sergeant, 3 stripes up, 1 rocker down, and crossed rifles in the middle!
DI: E-2!
Rcts: E-2, Private First Class, 1 stripe up!
DI: E-5!
Rcts: E-5, Sergeant, 3 stripes up, crossed rifles in the middle!

After a while it just comes out automatically.

AlwaysWillBe
04-11-09, 09:36 AM
Cwalling (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=44153)

:flag: You got that right about E-5's!! :flag:

UsmcMotorT
04-11-09, 07:32 PM
It will be, at least when I said it "Sir, an E-8 in the Marine Corps is, First Sergeant, he wears, 3 stripes up, 3 stripes down, and diamonds in the center, or, Master Sergeant, he wears 3 stripes up, 3 stripes down, and crossed rifles in the center, sir!". We never said rockers, or chevrons, guess it was to not confuse the recruits. For the rank up, we did "Sir, and E-9 in the Marine Corps is, Master Gunnery Sergeant, he wears 3 stripes up, 4 stripes down, and a bursting bomb in the center, or, Sergeant Major, he wears 3 stripes up, 4 stripes down, and a 5 point star in the center, or, Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, he wears 3 stripes up, 4 stripes down, and an Eagle Globe and Anchor flanked by 2 5 point stars in the center, sir!"

On point, that's how we did it in bootcamp