PDA

View Full Version : American Ex-POW Day

thedrifter
04-09-09, 09:29 AM
American Ex-POW Day

Until July 18th, 1979, no commemoration was held to honor America's POW/MIAs, those returned and those still missing and unaccounted for from our nation's wars. That first year, resolutions were passed in the Congress and the national ceremony was held at the National Cathedral, Washington, D.C. The Missing Man formation was flown by the 1st Tactical Squadron, Langley AFB, Virginia. The Veterans Administration published a poster including only the letters "POW/MIA" and that format was continued until 1982 when a black and white drawing of a POW in harsh captivity was used to convey the urgency of the situation and the priority that President Reagan assigned to achieving the fullest possible accounting for Americans still missing from the Vietnam War.

National POW/MIA Recognition Day legislation was introduced yearly, until 1995 when it was deemed by Congress that legislation for special days would no longer be proclaimed by Congress. However, the President continues to sign a proclamation each year. In the early years, the date was routinely set in close proximity to the League's annual meetings. In the mid-1980's, the American Ex-POWs decided that they wished to see the date established as April 9th, the date during World War II when the largest number of Americans were captured. As a result, legislation was passed in 1984 which included a July date, but established April 9th as the commemoration date for 1985. The 1984 National POW/MIA Recognition Day ceremony was held at the White House. At that most impressive ceremony, the Reagan Administration balanced the focus to honor all returned POWs and renew national commitment to accounting as fully as possible for those still missing. Perhaps the most impressive Missing Man formation ever flown was that year, up the Ellipse and over the White House. Unfortunately, the 1985 ceremony was canceled due to inclement weather, a concern which the League had expressed when the April 9th date was first proposed.

Subsequently, in an effort to accommodate all returned POWs and all Americans still missing and unaccounted for from all wars, the National League of Families proposed a date in September, usually the third Friday, not associated with any particular war and not in conjunction with any organization's national convention. Nearly all National POW/MIA Recognition Day ceremonies have been held at the Pentagon; however, on September 19, 1986, the national ceremony was held on the steps of the U.S. Capitol facing the Mall, again concluding with a flight in Missing Man formation.

National POW/MIA Recognition Day Ceremonies are now held throughout the nation and around the world on military installations, ships at sea, schools, churches and fire stations. The focus is to ensure that America remembers its responsibility to stand behind those who serve our nation and do everything possible to account for those who do not return.

thedrifter
04-09-09, 09:29 AM
HISTORY OF THE POW/MIA FLAG

In 1971 Mrs. Michael Hoff, an MIA wife, recognized the need for a symbol representing our Prisoners of War and Missing in Action. Prompted by an article in the Jacksonville, Florida TIMES-UNION, Mrs. Hoff contacted Norman Rivkees, Vice-President of Annin & Company who made a banner for the newest member of the United Nations, the People’s Republic of China, as a part of their policy to provide flags to all United Nations member nations. Mrs. Hoff found Mr. Rivkees very sympathetic to the Prisoner of War/Missing in Action issue and he, along with Annin’s advertising agency, designed a flag to represent our missing men and women.

Since its inception this stark black and white flag, which was designed on behalf of American POW/MIAs from the Vietnam War, has come to represent our missing countrymen and women from all wars. The POW/MIA flag has been ruled legally to be “public domain” - as is the American flag; therefore, it cannot be claimed as the sole property by any organization or individual.

The POW/MIA flag flew over the White House for the first time on National POW/MIA Recognition Day, 1988. On 9 March 1989, it was installed in the United States Capitol Rotunda. This occurred as a result of legislation passed overwhelmingly during the 100th Congress and, additionally, in an extremely rare demonstration of bipartisan congressional support, the leadership of both Houses hosted the formal installation ceremony.

Further, by joint Congressional Resolution, the POW/MIA flag - the only flag ever to be displayed in the United States Capitol Rotunda - stands as powerful symbol of our national commitment to American Prisoners of War and Missing in Action.

On 10 August 1990, the 101st Congress passed US Public Law 101-355, which recognized the POW/MIA flag and designated it “as the symbol of our Nation’s concern and commitment to resolving as fully as possible the fates of Americans still held prisoner, missing and unaccounted for in Southeast Asia, thus ending the uncertainty for their families and the Nation.

The POW/MIA flag’s importance lies in the continued visibility of this symbol as a constant reminder of the plight of America’s prisoners and missing. Other than “Old Glory,” the POW/MIA flag is the only flag to fly over the White House, and has flown in this place of honor on every POW/MIA Recognition Day since 1982. In addition, the POW/MIA flag flies over our nation’s capitol on Veterans Day and Memorial Day.

This very distinctive and special flag also flies over the National Vietnam Veterans Memorial, as well as other military memorials across the country; on Federal and State buildings, at each National Cemetery, and at military installations worldwide. It also flies at countless additional locations throughout the nation every day of the year.

Those Americans who fly the POW/MIA flag do so to demonstrate their loyalty and sincere dedication to all Prisoners of War and Missing in Action, and to their safe return - both alive and dead.

Flag etiquette specifies that the POW/MIA flag may be flown below the American flag and/or a state flag. However, it’s size must be equal to or smaller than the flag that is flying above it. The correct order for three flags being flown on the same flagpole is the national flag, the state flag, and then the POW/MIA flag.

Ellie

thedrifter
04-09-09, 09:31 AM
Moderator:

As you entered the dining area, you may have noticed a table at the front, raised to call your attention to its purpose — it is reserved to honor our missing loved ones [or missing comrades in arms, for veterans].

Set for six, the empty places represent Americans still [our men] missing from each of the five services — Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard – and civilians. This Honors Ceremony symbolizes that they are with
us, here in spirit.

Some [here] in this room were very young when they were sent into combat; however, all Americans should never forget the brave men and women who answered our nation’s call [to serve] and served the cause of freedom in a
special way.

I would like to ask you to stand, and remain standing for a moment of silent prayer, as the Honor Guard places the five service covers and a civilian cap on each empty plate.

Honor Guard: (In silence or with dignified, quiet music as background, the Honor Guard moves into position around the table and simultaneously places the covers of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard, and a civilian hat, on the dinner plate at each table setting. The Honor Guard then departs.)

Moderator:
Please be seated ....... I would like to explain the meaning of the items on this special table.

The table is round — to show our everlasting concern for our missing men.

The tablecloth is white — symbolizing the purity of their motives when answering the call to duty.

The single red rose, displayed in a vase, reminds us of the life of each of the missing, and the[ir] loved ones and friends of these Americans who keep the faith, awaiting answers.

The vase is tied with a red ribbon, symbol of our continued determination to account for our missing.

A slice of lemon on the bread plate is to remind us of the bitter fate of those captured and missing in a foreign land.

A pinch of salt symbolizes the tears endured by those missing and their families who seek answers.

The Bible represents the strength gained through faith to sustain those lost from our country, founded as one nation under God.

The glass is inverted — to symbolize their inability to share this evening’s [morning’s/day’s] toast.

The chairs are empty — they are missing.

Let us now raise our water glasses in a toast to honor America’s POW/MIAs and to the success of our efforts to account for them.

Ellie

thedrifter
04-09-09, 09:32 AM
The Soldier’s Code
1) I am an American fighting man. I serve in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

2) I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender my men while they still have the means to resist.

3) If I am captured, I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

4) If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me, and will back them up in every way.

5) When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am bound to give only name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies, or harmful to their cause.

6) I will never forget that I am an American fighting man, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower, August, 1955.

Ellie

thedrifter
04-09-09, 09:33 AM
Flag