PDA

View Full Version : Vandals strike war memorial

thedrifter
04-09-09, 08:27 AM
OUTRAGE AGAIN: Vandals strike war memorial

Thursday, April 9, 2009

By SUSAN FIELD
Clare Managing Editor

When Linda Fabian saw the vandalism at the Iraqi Freedom Memorial at Island Park in Mt. Pleasant Tuesday afternoon, her emotions ran high.

“At first, I was in disbelief,” Fabian said. “How can they do this twice?

“I was angry. I was sad. I was frustrated. I was hurt.”

Most of all, Fabian was heartbroken at the thought of telling Justin Ellsworth’s parents that the memorial that began as a tribute to his service to the country was once again the target of vandals.

Located next to the Michigan Vietnam Memorial, the Iraqi Freedom Memorial, vandalized in July 2007, now stands without the brass rifle and helmet. Those were stolen sometime between Saturday and Tuesday afternoon, Mt. Pleasant Police Public Information Officer Dave Sabuda said.

Fabian, whose son, Eric, served two tours of duty in Iraq in the Marines, watches over the memorial for Ellsworth’s parents, who live in Colorado.

Fabian said it would have been difficult and taken some time to steal the bronze inverted rifle and Kevlar helmet from the concrete monument base.

Ellsworth, a Marine lance corporal and 2003 graduate of Mt. Pleasant High School, was killed Nov. 13, 2004, while serving in Iraq.

The memorial was dedicated in September 2005 in Ellsworth’s memory.

If the first vandalism left Fabian upset, the latest has caused her more grief.

She at times feels almost guilty that Eric, who is still in the Marines, came home from Iraq safe, her sadness and frustration is nearly palpable.

In the first vandalism case, the flag pole was damaged, the flag was burned, an eagle statue atop the flagpole was stolen, and plants and trees were poisoned and died.

“To me, it’s a slap in the face to the family,” Fabian said. “Justin’s family is extremely disappointed.”

Local Korean War veteran John Smith was equally outraged about the latest vandalism.

“The big question is, why?” Smith said. “It is a protest against the war in Afghanistan or the war in Iraq?”

“Or is it just a prank?”

Smith knew Ellsworth, whom he referred to as "a fine young man who gave his life for his country.”

Ellsworth’s father, John Ellsworth, president of the Military Families United, said Wednesday that the people of Mt. Pleasant chose to honor his son and support his family.

“The thieves who have conducted this senseless act have taken an honorable and elegant monument to my son and made it a focal point of their hatred and destruction,” he said.

John Ellsworth started Families United to honor his son and all fallen heroes’ families, Families United Executive Director Brian Wise said.

“This terrible vandalism not only dishonors Justin Ellsworth but every veteran and all of our fallen heroes who gave their lives defending our country,” Wise said. “We sincerely hope that this was not a purposeful act of political activism or against our troops.”

Police are taking the vandalism seriously.

Patrol officers and the detective bureau are actively involved in the investigation, Sabuda said.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Mt. Pleasant Police Department at 989-779-5100 or the anonymous tip line at 989-779-9111.

Ellie