PDA

View Full Version : It’s a small world after all

thedrifter
04-09-09, 06:52 AM
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. —With just under 202,000 Marines, the Marine Corps is relatively small compared to the other branches of service, but for a former high school principal it couldn’t get any smaller.

Col. Brian T. Oliver, chief-of-staff, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, has left his impact upon Marines for the past 26-years and high school students for the past 13.

After joining the reserves in 1996, the Drexel, N.C., native began a career in secondary education as a teacher. He soon became an Assistant Principal as well as wrestling and football Coach at Watauga High School in Boone, N.C.

In July 2004, Oliver became the principal of Freedom High School in Morganton, N.C., and it was at Freedom that he made an impression on Pfc. William M. Chester, Logistics Vehicle System operator, 2nd MLG.

“He did a lot to help me out,” the 19-year old explained. “I don’t think he realizes how much he did for me. I was kind of a troubled kid in high school but was able to turn my life around.”

Oliver has met at least two other Freedom High School students since he reactivated in January 2009.

“It’s kind of strange when I’m walking through the gymnasium and I hear someone say, ‘Mr. Oliver? What are you doing here?’”

Along with meeting former Freedom High School students, Oliver has also met a former Appalachian State University graduate and Freedom High School graduate, 2nd Lt. Michael J. Bradley, platoon commander, Landing Support Company, 2nd MLG.

“You know it’s always nice to see someone who’s from the same area,” Bradley said.

Oliver said that being an educator is similar to being a Marine and serving in both aspects gives him a greater appreciation for young Americans who choose to serve their country.

“Whether you’re taking care of your teachers and students or your Marines and sailors, your primary mission is to take care of the people you serve with,” Oliver explained. “It’s really encouraging as a Marine, an educator and an officer to see the patriotism in the youth of America.”