PDA

View Full Version : Life After Bootcamp

reallybigshoe
04-08-09, 11:20 PM
I have been reading up on postings here and some very helpful stuff at about.com which has let me know a ton about boot camp and some very general information about being a Marine.

I am interested to know where the Marine Corps will take you after boot. What is life like for most of you soldiers? I know that obviously this will depend on the MOS and station you get, but if I am going 03xx what can I expect? I've heard ship to Afghanistan is most likely - then what?

Sorry if this sounds ignorant. I'm really wanting to get an overview.

rvillac2
04-08-09, 11:45 PM
WTF? Soldiers?

Alisium
04-09-09, 12:34 AM
Something you'll catch on to early on, Marines aren't soldiers. It's like calling a Werewolf a poodle. <br />
<br />
After recruit training, we usually have a 10 day leave period, which you may or may not wish...

Quinbo
04-09-09, 01:19 AM
Something you'll catch on to early on, Marines aren't soldiers. It's like calling a Werewolf a poodle.

Classic

reallybigshoe
04-09-09, 01:33 AM
ALISIUM Thanks for the reply and the awesome information, sir. This is the first run-down of an actual 4 year enlistment that I've seen. This has been very helpful.

Achped
04-09-09, 02:41 AM
Sir? Do you know what his rank is?

And yes, actually alot of that has changed since the war started.

As an 03 you will deploy, train, deploy, train, deploy, get out. No MEUs, no ships, no boats, none of that trash unless you're lucky. You will fly from your duty station to the sandbox and back.

Quinbo
04-09-09, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't call riding a tub overseas lucky. Finally after months you get used to swaying two and fro and standing in endless lines all day. Standing fire watch in the well deck guarding am-tracs (yea someone might steal one). Stand in line at the ships store for a couple hours to get a bag of popcorn... Sorry the microwave is broke here is your popcorn ..... wtf am I supposed to do with this? I don't want a bag of un popped popcorn. Sorry you bought it maybe tomarrow the microwave will be working. Field day every stinkin day ... how the hell did you jarheads get dirt on the deck when we havn't seen land in a month? Carry some in your pockets or what? You gireens are using way too much water .... we're switching the pumps to cold sea water so take as long a shower as you like and enjoy brushing your teeth devil dog. You then hit the beach and it feels like the whole world is rocking back and forth.

JWDevilDog
04-09-09, 08:09 AM
ALISIUM Thanks for the reply and the awesome information, sir. This is the first run-down of an actual 4 year enlistment that I've seen. This has been very helpful.

Start learning the rank structure, poolee. Marines use each others' ranks, so you better start learning now.

Alisium
04-09-09, 09:51 AM
Start learning the rank structure, poolee. Marines use each others' ranks, so you better start learning now.

He's not a poolee and my rank is actually "Mr." or CEO of Horno Ridge Security, so sir works just fine for me. It was a nice show of respect.

I would have corrected him but the two post doing so were pretty rude, maybe not in intent but in appearance. Tact is very important.

JWDevilDog
04-09-09, 04:06 PM
Yes, you're right Cpl, I guess he's not a poolee. Personally, I feel that if I were no longer on active duty, I would find it very respectful for a civilian on this site to call me by my rank.

reallybigshoe -
Sorry if I came off as rude to you. Didn't mean anything by it.

Alisium
04-09-09, 04:14 PM
Yes, you're right Cpl, I guess he's not a poolee. Personally, I feel that if I were no longer on active duty, I would find it very respectful for a civilian on this site to call me by my rank.

reallybigshoe -
Sorry if I came off as rude to you. Didn't mean anything by it.

Look at it this way, LCpl. He's new and isn't even a poolee, so he's not going to know that kind of stuff. I've had a lot of civilians refer to me as "Sir" at one time or another while I was in uniform. There's no need for a hard-@ss response in that situation.

Just politely tell them what's up.

Obviously, there here to learn and we want them to learn the rank structures and etiquette. Being a hard-@ss isn't always the best way to go about it.

Notice I corrected the "soldiers" thing.

Good onions on the apology.

That's all. Take from it what you wish.

JWDevilDog
04-09-09, 10:01 PM
Roger that, Cpl. Good to go.