PDA

View Full Version : good credit bad credit no problem

retread09
04-08-09, 11:10 PM
I just heard back from the SSgt recruiter who's been working with me and he verified my records were sent and I should get them next week. Now I've got to start thinking what I want to do. I was...

thewookie
04-09-09, 04:24 AM
Speaking with my lending hat on, I would do something about those charge-offs and such, and try to make them whole. Just because the lender or credit issuer categorized your account(s) as "charged...

NoRemorse
04-09-09, 07:46 AM
Even if you have a bunch of charge-offs or outstanding debt if you can show that you're working with your creditors or have approached them in the past and that you're being fiscally responsible now...

sscjoe
04-09-09, 07:51 AM
Retread09, I agree with the Wook don't ignore those debts. I would also make myself familiar with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If your accounts were...

Rocky C
04-09-09, 07:58 AM
Get your Credit reports and see what everything looks like.

TransUnion- 1-800-888-4213
Equixfax- 1-800-685-1111
Experian- 1-888-397-3742

retread09
04-09-09, 04:50 PM
I appreciate the input. I do finally intend on dealing with my mistakes...however I am unemployed and live in a state with the second highest unemployment rate in the nation (thank you nafta). I...

thewookie
04-09-09, 06:34 PM
I appreciate the input. I do finally intend on dealing with my mistakes...however I am unemployed and live in a state with the second highest unemployment rate in the nation (thank you nafta). I can't begin to deal with the situation until I have some real income coming again. That's just the facts. The SSgt I'm working with said that there's not a credit check unless you apply for a job requiring clearance. After that I could do some type of debt consolidation and get my **** squared away. The government has worse credit than any one individual and is practically owned by the Chinese now...what a joke.

No problem, thanks and good luck. Keep in touch with the lender/ service of the debt and you should be fine down the road once it's paid. Just keep the receipts, forever.

As far as the credit report goes: I'm kinda certain they pull one no matter what you're doing. I'm not in the loop so I don't know for sure but I'd think they would. I'd double check with that SSgt to be sure, best to be honest and keep it all on the table from the get-go so it doesn't come back to bite you in the azz down the road. The guy in my Marine Corps League that got turned away, did so because of bad credit - I don't know if that was due to his MOS or a Corps policy of pulling credit reports prior to enlistment.

Any way, good luck, sh*t happens.

fallen771
04-13-09, 09:13 PM
I am still young into the Corps being only in my first year still and I had a very hard time due to bad credit. I had a couble debts still outstanding and was unemployed before enlistin/going off to boot. As said, you need to just show you're attemtping to correct things. I had to have a top secrect security clearance for my mos and damn near didn't get it. I had to have in writing in agreeance with the debtors that I would setup a plan once I had enlisted.

Since then I've started slowly paying off my debts but I got my cleance, mos, and have had no issues. You just need to get the ball rolling. Since the economy/job market is still pretty low, most creditors are willing to do about anything to setup a payment plan. Especially if you're in any branch of military b/c of the guaranteed paycheck they see.

retread09
04-13-09, 09:55 PM
cool, thanks