PDA

View Full Version : Running in boot camp

sbombard15
04-08-09, 03:21 PM
When you go on long runs in boot camp (3 or more miles) is it a leisurely jog or close to a sprint? This may sound like a silly question but i just want to know how i can pace myself when i run and what to expect in boot camp. Right now i just go as fast as i can. Thanks.

Alisium
04-08-09, 03:22 PM
Hhmmmm

About an 8 - 8 1/2min mile pace.

But they build you up for these things. It's not like you're running 3 miles by the second week. There's a natural progression towards speed and distance.

MLMonk
04-08-09, 06:07 PM
If you actually do a formation run, it would be at a slow pace for a long time. But we have never done a formation run except the Moto-Run on family day, which I was kind of disappointed.

sbombard15
04-08-09, 06:32 PM
Im pretty sure I know the answer to this question but do you actually do alot of running in boot camp? or is more focused on strength building?

stein07
04-08-09, 08:56 PM
I don't know if it is different for males, but we ran in squad-sized ability groups for nearly every run. You were put with runners who ran about the same pace as you and then you are pushed as a group to improve. They'll set a pace that is slightly uncomfortable. If they detect it is too easy for you, they'll bounce you up a group. This helps everyone to improve.

scifguard
04-08-09, 11:52 PM
It was the same for us males. We also did a couple of 2 miles as a company along with three PFTs and the Moto run. But as far as running for PT that was about it.

Alisium
04-09-09, 12:09 AM
Wow things changed. We did mostly formation runs and didn't break down until towards the end of third phase.

I was also one of the last platoons to go through before they switched over to the crucible.

WalkingMan
04-09-09, 05:57 AM
When you go on long runs in boot camp (3 or more miles) is it a leisurely jog or close to a sprint? This may sound like a silly question but i just want to know how i can pace myself when i run and what to expect in boot camp. Right now i just go as fast as i can. Thanks.

I don't know what the current practice is, but when I went through in the 1960's, I don't remember anything at all being done at a 'leisurely' pace! :)

I still run at least five days a week, a seven mile course, in right around an hour... a little less when the weather is good, and a little longer when there is ice and snow, which is a fairly leisurely pace.

When I am pushing it, in competitive 5K and 10K runs, I can get up to around 8 to 8.5 mph. which does not feel very leisurely to me.

Not a world-class runner or anything, but running regularly does keep me from getting fat.

sbombard15
04-09-09, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all the responses. So should i focus more on strength training and not worry as much about my running? I have no problem running a few mies I just cant go balls to the wall for miles.

NoRemorse
04-09-09, 12:54 PM
You'll go balls to the walls when you're not drilling, eating chow, stepping out, in class, etc. When you're ordered to report to so-and-so you'll be getting over in front of so-and-so at the speed of light or better.

Green blur and what not. Practice your running and practice your sprints but don't expect to sprint 3 miles straight.

In 2005 we would break up into groups for PT and run to each section of the circuit course. As was mentioned before you'll be broken up by ability; rabbits, turtles and those in the middle.

Work on your calisthenics as well and learn some knowledge while you're on the site; never hurts to know the good scoop.

sbombard15
04-09-09, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys(and girl). You have all helped me alot.

Rocky C
04-09-09, 03:09 PM

A Leisurely Jog ???

That's too funny :D

AlwaysWillBe
04-09-09, 03:51 PM
A Leisurely Jog ???

That's too funny :D
That just cracked me up!
Great way to end the day !

Alisium
04-09-09, 04:25 PM
That just cracked me up!
Great way to end the day !

You may laugh but, I was certain the Drill Instructors would go easier on us since they already went through it themselves and would empathize with our situation.

I also considered complimenting my receiving Drill Instructor on how shiny his shoes were.

AlwaysWillBe
04-09-09, 06:30 PM
:D
I'm still cracking up!!

Look, I'm not OLD school... I hit PI in 1966... but about the only "easy" was when the DI screamed "GIVE ME TEN' instead of "GIVE ME TWENTY!".

I think it was the use of the term "leisurely"...I mean really!

:iwo:

SGT7477
04-09-09, 06:46 PM
It depends on how mad the DI's are.:evilgrin:

StoneTheWeak
04-09-09, 07:45 PM
I graduated last November. Every run we did was individual effort. I wish every run was individual effort, formation runs at a slow pace do little to help your PFT compared to running on your own and being able to push yourself. In formation runs you are forced to run at the same speed as everyone else. It started off as 2 miles and we worked up to 3. You do alot of like circuit courses involving different exercises during PT sessions, and it involves all out sprints inbetween each.

Alisium
04-09-09, 11:34 PM
I graduated last November. Every run we did was individual effort. I wish every run was individual effort, formation runs at a slow pace do little to help your PFT compared to running on your own and being able to push yourself. In formation runs you are forced to run at the same speed as everyone else. It started off as 2 miles and we worked up to 3. You do alot of like circuit courses involving different exercises during PT sessions, and it involves all out sprints inbetween each.

*facepalm*

I guess the Marine Corps knows what it's doing.

fespar
04-15-09, 06:42 AM
Expect the unexpected.That which cannot happen will!

AlwaysWillBe
04-15-09, 06:48 AM

Stone, may I ask what your MOS is?