PDA

View Full Version : Roanoke community plans dream wedding for military couple

thedrifter
04-08-09, 09:21 AM
Wednesday, Apr. 08, 2009
Roanoke community plans dream wedding for military couple
By RICK MAUCH

Neighbors of a Roanoke family facing unemployment put on a 'dream wedding’ for their son, Marine 2nd Lt. John Mahler, and his wife, Tiffany, before his deployment.

All Jennifer Mahler and her husband, Michael, wanted was a nice wedding for their son, John, and his fiancee, Tiffany.

With John, a 23-year-old 2nd lieutenant in the Marine Corps, soon to be shipped to Afghanistan, taking time to save the money wasn’t an option.

So, with the job market in tough shape and Michael’s position at Bell Helicopter coming to an end, such a wish appeared to be just that — a wish.

That was until neighbors and friends stepped up. From finding a chapel to getting a favorite brand of ice cream, they gave John and Tiffany the wedding of their dreams.

"Everyone was so great," Jennifer said. "The girls made their own bouquets for bridesmaids. The church helped with rehearsals."

Coordinating much of the help was neighbor May Flurry. She even splurged to get John’s favorite ice cream, Blue Bell, for the wedding.

"John grew up on Blue Bell, so I called their headquarters and they said call the local distributor," Flurry said. "I’m so glad we were able to work it all out."

The wedding, held March 7 at Calvary Pentecostal Church in Fort Worth, included two chocolate fountains that were donated, along with a three-layer cake for the bride and a groom’s cake that included a Marine insignia.

"They had these chocolate strawberries that looked like little tuxedos. It was the cutest thing," Flurry said.

The Mahler’s pastor called in a favor for use of the chapel big enough to hold the more than 300 people.

"It was a beautiful church," Jennifer said. "It’s hard to find a church for under $2,000."

As for music, the Mahler family was already on top of that. Younger brothers James, 13, and David, 19, are accomplished in their own right.

James brought his string quartet. David is an award-winning player of the hammered dulcimer.

"They are so talented. It was just beautiful," Flurry said.

John, who graduated from Texas A&M before joining the Marines two years ago, is stationed just outside Palm Beach, Calif. He flew in just in time for the wedding, and now he and Tiffany live there.

"Me flying in the night before the rehearsal dinner, I had one day to see what was going on," John said. "They wouldn’t let me see half the stuff the night before at the rehearsal dinner. They had it blocked off, but it was all pretty amazing.

"Tiffany and I are both honored to have so many people who care about us so much."

John and Tiffany had a 10-week engagement. He said the process was sped up because of his impending trip to Afghanistan, where he will be working in air intelligence. (John was sent to a one-month training program in Arizona on March 24 and expects go to oversees early next year.)

"We didn’t know when we’d have a chance to get married, and we didn’t want me to leave before we did," John said. "We were concerned about finances, but Tiffany’s dad did a lot to make this happen by selling some stocks — and the community coming through like they did was just incredible."

Michael, an electrical engineer, worked at Tellabs for 14 years before being laid off. Then, his gig at Bell Helicopter lasted less than a year before he was laid off in October. Some contract work he found ended recently, so he’s back looking.

"Michael’s on the computer all the time. The wedding was such a highlight for us," Jennifer said.

"One good thing, our house is paid off, and my husband makes us live very frugile. Things will be fine," she said.

The family is not without an income. Jennifer teaches voice lessons in some classes held at Texas Christian University.

Jennifer and Michael are confident the economy will improve along with the family’s finances. In the meantime, they are extremely thankful John and Tiffany were able to have a wonderful wedding.

"It’s been a walk of faith, and we are so thankful that we are so blessed to have friends and neighbors like we have," Jennifer said.

"We’re going to look back and remember how much our families love us, and how fortunate we are to have such friends," John said.

Rick Mauch is a special contributor to The Keller Citizen.

Ellie