PDA

View Full Version : Behind the scenes: Dreams of a power wash

thedrifter
04-08-09, 07:57 AM
Behind the scenes: Dreams of a power wash

By Barbara Starr
CNN Pentagon Correspondent

CNN Pentagon correspondent Barbara Starr and photojournalist Peter Morris traveled to southern Afghanistan with Gen. James Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps.

HELMAND PROVINCE, Afghanistan (CNN) -- Our travels in Afghanistan continue.

I feel like the title of this posting should be "why I had to get power-washed in Afghanistan" or "the body armor is only heavy until they start shooting at you."

OK, now I will explain.

CNN photojournalist Peter Morris and I just wrapped up spending several days in southern Afghanistan with Gen. James Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps, touring the combat zone.

The Marines are living in some of the toughest terrain there is. It is remote and often raining. That means dust turns to mud, and you find yourself covered in it from head to toe. Stinky, cold, wet, oozy mucky mud.

The good news is, everybody stinks, so you lose any sense of self-consciousness about it. But you do dream of getting power-washed. So, yes, after a few days a shower was, shall we say, more than essential.

For the Marines, however, it is a seven-month tour of duty in mud in the winter and dust in the summer.

It seems very grim, especially when compounded by the fact that the Marines are wearing heavy body armor all the time. Ask them if it's heavy to wear, the typical answer goes something like, "It's only heavy to wear until the bad guys start shooting at you. Then it's OK."

The young Marines know exactly how tough the fight they are facing in the coming weeks and months will likely be. Several of them told me security had gotten considerably worse in recent days. Their bases were being repeatedly shelled by insurgents, several roadside bombs had gone off, and local Afghan police had died at the hands of suicide attacks.

Senior commanders usually have a more cheery outlook, but here in southern Afghanistan, everyone is cautious. Almost everyone is a veteran of Iraq and learned the tough lesson there about not declaring victory too soon.

Even Conway, who commanded U.S. forces in Fallujah, picks his words very carefully. He tells me he believes that everyone must be ready for a spike in U.S. casualties as the Marines begin to move into the region in greater numbers this spring.

All of this was rattling around in my head when I saw the Marines riding around in what they call "a 7-ton truck." As the name suggests, it's huge and has some armor plating on the sides. But what it doesn't make clear is that the truck is open in the back and sides. The Marines insist it is a safe way to transport troops.

For years now, the Army has used fully armored vehicles only in the combat zone. The Marines have a somewhat different view. They believe heavy armor isn't everything; sometimes being able to get around on the battlefield faster is better.

But then again, when someone starts shooting at you, I think you want all the armor you can get.
Next stop, Iraq. Yeah, there is still a war there, too

Ellie

thedrifter
04-08-09, 07:59 AM
Behind the scenes: Security on the decline in Afghanistan

By Barbara Starr

In our Behind the Scenes series, CNN correspondents share their experiences in covering news and analyze the stories behind the events. CNN Pentagon correspondent Barbara Starr and photojournalist Peter Morris are traveling to southern Afghanistan with Gen. James Conway, commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps.

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CNN) -- Sometimes you have to be on the road for a few days before you begin to see the pattern of a reporting trip.

Three days in, I realize the pattern that always emerges was right back with me -- a lack of sleep combined with the reality of being in fascinating places and talking to interesting people.

After a day's stop in Ethiopia, we indeed are in Afghanistan -- Kandahar to be exact. It's the place that gave root to the Taliban and the region where al Qaeda found refuge in the months before the 9/11 attacks.

The south is bad. There's no other way to describe it. Marines are being killed by roadside bombs, small-arms attacks and ambushes. These are the techniques in the Taliban arsenal.

Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Conway knows it's going to get worse before -- or if -- it gets better.

He wants to talk to Marines firsthand. When he gets back to Washington, he is scheduled to testify before Congress. Before then, he wants an upfront, personal look at the front line -- and we are going with him.

Conway is finally where he wants to be -- with his Marines. He's walking the ground, talking about the coming fight, getting ready for what he already says will be a very tough time ahead for American forces in Afghanistan.

This will be my eighth trip to Afghanistan. Security has gotten much worse in the last couple of years. Places I would have gone on my own a few years ago -- no way now.

The Taliban have developed into savvy fighters. For the last couple of years, they have focused less on direct confrontations with U.S. troops that they know they can't win and more on simply terrorizing the Afghan people.

Across the south and east, they have taken control of remote villages, installed their own people in local governments and killed Afghan elders. All of this is fueled by money from the poppy crops. U.S. officials tell me there are new indications that various Taliban and insurgent leaders are banding together to fight the Americans when they get here.
So the next few days should be interesting. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ellie

thedrifter
04-08-09, 08:01 AM
Behind the scenes: In the field, coffee a priority

By Barbara Starr

CNN Pentagon correspondent Barbara Starr and photojournalist Peter Morris are traveling to southern Afghanistan with Gen. James Conway, Commandant of the Marines.

ADDIS ABABA (CNN) -- When you are a CNN reporter out on the road, nothing is more important than the first task at hand every day -- securing the morning's first cup of coffee. After that, you can handle just about anything, from the war zone to the flood zone.

No, I am not being silly. Any soldier will tell you the same thing. Morning coffee first.

And nowhere is coffee a more serious business than in Ethiopia. (Did I mention? I am in Ethiopia on assignment.)

And after flying all night, I am up way too early because of jet lag. But yes, I have found a big, steaming, fantastic cup of Ethiopian coffee, so the day can begin now.

OK, now for the serious part. CNN cameraman Peter Morris and I left Andrews Air Force Base on the night of March 31 with Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. James Conway and a small group of Marines.

Our main destination is southern Afghanistan where thousands of Marines are headed in the coming weeks to carry out President Obama's war strategy of securing the country.

But first we have a full day here in Ethiopia, where we will have a look at some of the humanitarian assistance operations the U.S. military has done here in the poverty-stricken Horn of Africa.

Even here, the reach of Osama bin Laden is felt. He has made recent statements calling for the overthrow of the government in Somalia, which is right next door. There is plenty of worry al Qaeda may find a new safe haven here in the Horn of Africa.

Gen. Conway is just one of many U.S. officials who now comes here to check on things and tell governments that the United States is watching the situation carefully.

OK, one last sip of coffee ... now I've got to run. The reporting day is about to begin.

Back now for update:

We went to the Abadir Primary School in Ethiopia's teeming capital city of Addis Ababa. In the coming days we will bring you the story of how U.S. troops helped rebuild this school so children could attend class.
The story will warm your heart, especially when you see these tiny African children's reaction to just the mention of President Obama's name

Ellie