PDA

View Full Version : WWII Uniform (Greens)

hankhoffman
07-05-03, 04:49 PM
My Great-Uncle just passed away last Friday. He served with the 1st Marines in WWII. I was given his green uniform and it has a patch over the right pocket. The patch is of a bird in a circle both are gold and it is a diamond shaped patch. I have no idea what the patch means. If you know please tell me.

Thanks for your help. :marine:

marinemom
07-05-03, 08:49 PM
mrcobb served with the 1MARDIV in World War II. You might PM him and ask, he just might know the answer for you.

cbqrr47
07-05-03, 09:08 PM
That is a "rupured Duck" patch, given to all WWII Honorably Discharged veterans.

MillRatUSMC
07-05-03, 10:27 PM
http://www.1armystore.com/Smart/graphics/rd2.jpg

A little history on thr "ruptured duck" patch...
"It was actually an eagle, but people called it a ruptured duck".
At the end of the war when civilian clothes were scarce, soldiers who'd gotten out of the service could wear their uniforms with the ruptured duck patch on the shoulder.
The patch meant that the person was a civilian".

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

firstsgtmike
07-05-03, 10:41 PM
I don't remember the patch, but I DO remember there was a lapel pin issued with the patch.

hankhoffman
07-06-03, 10:10 AM
Thanks for your help. I knew someone here would have the answer. Hope you all had a safe and happy 4th.

Dan_Mills
07-06-03, 01:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your great uncle, guy. We are loosing our WWII veterans faster & faster every day now. Each and everyone of us should take the time to speak to one of these walking history books and record their memories for all times, but we won't. We are all to lazy, myself included. In the last few years I have lost 2 Guadalcanal Marine vets from my own family. Now their history is lost. Shame on all of us.

G392339
07-06-03, 03:22 PM
Hi: Just joined this BB I am a WWII Marine (1941-46) The patch
is definitely a Ruptured Duck, I served with both the 1st & 5th
Marine Divisions in WWII. Good to be aboard

thedrifter
07-06-03, 03:27 PM
G392339

Welcome Aboard to the Best Marine Site on the net. Also welcome to your home away from home................
We have a great crew of Marines in here from WW II to the present............
Throw your sea bag in a corner, pull up a footlocker, sit and chat awhile.........

"AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD."

Sempers,

Roger

virwar
07-06-03, 03:35 PM
Welcome aboard G329339. Thanx for your service sir. You all did a bang up job saving the world, and it's well appreciated. Thanx again and Semper Fi Dave

richgitz
07-08-03, 07:49 AM
SEMPER-FI G329339
Welcome to our home away from home. Glad to see some WW11
Jarheads coming aboard. It will be good to hear from some old-
er and wiser Marines.

G392339
07-08-03, 10:26 AM
Thank you, Gunny G gave me this website, thought I'd give it a <br />
try. I am a regular on Sgt. Grit's Board, but alway like to meet <br />
others that share the same back ground (Marine Corps)Was a ...