PDA

View Full Version : Class lll swimmer???

Wrestler135
04-06-09, 09:53 PM
what kind of test has to be performed in order qualify as a class lll swimmer?

JWDevilDog
04-06-09, 10:22 PM
Full combat load while swimming, how they tell you to swim, and a bunch of other stuff that I forgot about.

Don't worry, though. Class III is not difficult at all to get. As long as you are not scared of the water you will be fine.

Smitty Puffs
04-06-09, 10:29 PM
level 2 is where people start having trouble. If you've ever been to the beach or in a swimming pool, 3 and 4 are a breeze.

USMCMason
04-06-09, 10:30 PM
You have to float for 2 minutes with a full combat load (flak/kevlar/pack/cammies/boots). You then jump off a 5 meter platform with the same load and swim to the other end of the pool. I think there's one other thing to do, but I can't remember it. Flotation is key... Class 3 is the easiest to get, 2 is where it gets hard.

Wrestler135
04-06-09, 11:03 PM
Ok thanks alot!

Alisium
04-06-09, 11:08 PM
You have to float for 2 minutes with a full combat load (flak/kevlar/pack/cammies/boots). You then jump off a 5 meter platform with the same load and swim to the other end of the pool. I think there's one other thing to do, but I can't remember it. Flotation is key... Class 3 is the easiest to get, 2 is where it gets hard.

I'm pretty sure you have to be able to swim the length of the pool and back in just your cammies too.

Or maybe that's second, I don't thinks though.

USMCMason
04-06-09, 11:29 PM
Not sure Cpl, I just do what they tell me to do. The less thinking the better...

Alisium
04-06-09, 11:32 PM
Not sure Cpl, I just do what they tell me to do. The less thinking the better...

I haven't swim-qualed since 2002 so I am a bit fuzzy on the particulars.

Petz
04-07-09, 12:19 AM
yeah I was a class two... you swim for like twenty mins... and then swim the length of the pool a few times.

but they are revamping the entire swim qual system because they are getting away from WSQ or whatever it was called, and creating a new title that requires different swim qual time-frames.

it's all good.

scifguard
04-07-09, 09:13 AM
The one thing that I remember about Class III is that you have to bicycle kick the length of the pool with your gear on.

jcarter73
04-07-09, 09:32 AM
III is the basic swim qualification... IV is unqualified... I went all the way to level 8 Combat Water Safety Swimmer (CWSS), which has a drop rate over 60%. The thing to remember in the pool for any level of swim qual is to relax... if you tense up, you are going to have a difficult time. Trust in the CWSS's in the water with you, they might be barking orders at you and seem tough, but they are there to train you, and they won't let you drown. So RELAX, LISTEN and get the job done. GET SOME !!

scifguard
04-07-09, 09:40 AM
IV is qualified. It just means that even though you can swim, your not really good at it.

jcarter73
04-07-09, 09:46 AM
If your swim qual on your BTR shows IV, good luck with your next promotion.

III is the basic requirement... IV's have to complete weeks of remedial swim training at the pool with the CWSS's and MCIWS's... learning how to swim first without gear then on to more challenging stuff with gear on.

It's sad to see Marines in the Fleet to unq swim qual...

Tough swim quals are CWSS and MCIWS... swimming underwater for more than 25 meters with limbs bound... and the crazy distance swims... miles at a time.

Don't settle for III ask to keep advancing, it will help your next promotion as points on your cutting score.

Petz
04-07-09, 09:49 AM
they finally came out with the points matrix?? what are the new points for promotion???

Hayes
04-07-09, 10:32 AM
I use to be CWS2 certified. Then i hit the fleet and didnt want to waste a whole day at the pool or bring my own gear so I just went for cws4, passed and went and got wasted...good times.

0231Marine
04-07-09, 11:28 AM
I use to be CWS2 certified. Then i hit the fleet and didnt want to waste a whole day at the pool or bring my own gear so I just went for cws4, passed and went and got wasted...good times.

So you're bragging about being lazy? Good work Marine! :thumbdown

Petz
04-07-09, 11:34 AM
haha, what about my question?!!

last I heard about this change was 7 months ago when I qual'd last.

they didn't entertain the idea of going over 4 'cause it was being revamped and implemented this year and going over 4 would mean you just have to do it again this year.

jcarter73
04-07-09, 11:46 AM
SSgt, not sure of the revamp... You ALWAYS want to get the highest swim qual they have available at the pool during that training week of your qual. The difference between the levels is how soon you have to re-qual. They are doing away with WSQ as that carried with it a lifetime qual, never had to re-qual. That and WSQ was so easy... a caveman could do it. :) No offense to any cavemen out there :)

I'll get that matrix over when I get it across my desk... I'm a PSEP'er and Swim Qual was always important to me, this time back I'll be looking for a MCIWS school seat.

If the perfect PFT is a 300 I want a 300... if the most advanced swim qual is MCIWS I want that... etc. Our Corps is getting more and more competitive, and anything you can do to rise above the rest you should go for.

MOTIVATE ME !!

BR34
04-07-09, 12:47 PM
I've never seen or heard anything about swim qual being worth points toward our Comp Score, Carter. Where'd you come up with that?

jcarter73
04-07-09, 12:49 PM
It's in the works... and WILL be counted... in the past it hasn't been added to cutting scores for promotion, but anything that shows you are "out in front" of your peers can only help your cause...

Hayes
04-07-09, 01:49 PM
So you're bragging about being lazy? Good work Marine! :thumbdown
Oh **** sorry what I meant to say was SEMPFER FI, KILL BODIES, EAT BABIES MOTIVATE DEDICATE, SEMPER ****IN FI!!!!!!!!!

oorah...

BR34
04-07-09, 02:43 PM
It's in the works... and WILL be counted... in the past it hasn't been added to cutting scores for promotion,

So, is this just your opinion, something you've heard, or is there actually some source you can produce?

jcarter73
04-07-09, 02:46 PM
It's something I heard from a realiable source at HQMC... May not take flight for some time, but it's being considered along with the re-vamp of the swim qual program.

Wrestler135
04-07-09, 02:53 PM
Looks like i need to get to the pool and do some swimming... I could never float (too skinny i guess) lol but i can swim. so it may be a little bit of a challenge.

NoRemorse
04-07-09, 02:56 PM
Looks like i need to get to the pool and do some swimming... I could never float (too skinny i guess) lol but i can swim. so it may be a little bit of a challenge.

If you can't float... relax... work on your prone and supine float and your breathing. If you still can't float, learn to tread water... or get a good swimmer to teach you...

Otherwise you will be drownproofed at MCRD.

Have fun :evilgrin:

Wrestler135
04-07-09, 03:07 PM
I can tread water but thanks for the advice i still need to swim more often im not the best but i can do it.

giveen
04-07-09, 03:53 PM
I only was able to get qual 4 in boot camp, due to various reason, but Yuma doesnt have the right pool side, so we all got waivers. Sucks because I would have like to have gotten 3rd or 2nd.

Petz
04-08-09, 12:13 AM
So, is this just your opinion, something you've heard, or is there actually some source you can produce?

the commandant is making all combat essential training count towards promotion... the only thing that is holding up the swim qual points is the fact that MANY Marines are basically body builders and they don't float very well, so to make swim qual a competitive thing for promotion is an up hill battle.

MCMAP is on it's way to being scored... basically it'll be one of those "goto the max belt you can attain or your will not be promoted with your peers" kinds of things as a LCpl can only attain grey belt and Cpl green and Sgt brown/black (not sure really on this one, pretty sure it's black 1st degree) and SNCO is maxed at 6th degree.

commdog7
04-08-09, 01:20 AM
They are doing away with WSQ as that carried with it a lifetime qual, never had to re-qual. That and WSQ was so easy... a caveman could do it. :) No offense to any cavemen out there :)

I guess I'm a caveman then, ooga-ooga! :D

I never heard about this before. I'm a WSQ and I have to re-qual in 6 years (not a lifetime thing). If they are getting rid of WSQ, are they replacing it with anything? Anyone know? I don't want to be demoted to a CWS1!!!

Petz
04-08-09, 01:23 AM
the whole program is getting revamped... so yeah, you'll be a class 4.

commdog7
04-08-09, 01:26 AM
the whole program is getting revamped... so yeah, you'll be a class 4.

A 4!!!! Now I'm starting to hope for the 1! Any idea when they are supposed to come out with the new requirements?

Petz
04-08-09, 01:27 AM
probably if you read my post earlier you'd see it's fighting an up hill battle.

also did you know we have chat!!!! I'm there now!