PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone, I have a few questions.

reallybigshoe
04-06-09, 09:11 PM
Hello everyone,

Please take a look at my profile and let me know if there is anything unsatisfactory about it. I have read the poolee rules and I believe I am in compliance. Thank you for this opportunity to learn from your wisdom and expertise.

My grandfather was a marine in the Pacific Islands, and he is my greatest role model. I am trying to determined what it will take to follow in his footsteps, if I am able. Let me explain what I mean.

I have childhood asthma on my record, which has not been treated since I was 12 or so. I also had a DWI conviction almost 3 years ago. Am I beyond eligibility?

If I am still eligible with waivers, I still have a road ahead of me. I need to lose around 25 more pounds (already lost 70 or so) and build a lot of strength. That's more than doable in my eyes, as the goal is easily worth it.

On an unrelated question: If I should make it through the screening process and get a date, what should I do about my active Navy girlfriend? Are there any prospects for us to be anywhere near each other once I am in (and what if we married)?

I realize I will be away for training but if I am stationed in Hawaii, and she's still here in SA - what's the point, right?

Facts, opinions, and advice are all eagerly encouraged. Thanks again for the help! :)

USMCMason
04-06-09, 10:00 PM
It's Marine!

The Marine Corps doesn't care about your girlfriend. If they wanted you to have one, they'd issue you one. You can request a duty station, but the odds aren't in your favor to get it.

reallybigshoe
04-06-09, 10:20 PM
Thank you. My mistake. I don't mean any dishonor to the Marine Corps by my typo.

How is the issue of married Marines addressed by the Corps concerning duty stations. I realize that best case scenario, I'd be a PFC whining about wanting to be near my family - and so my intention is to avoid such a situation unless policies are already in place that allow for family life in the early years of a Marine Corps life.

I haven't bothered talking with my girlfriend about my desire yet, as I will make my decision and then present her with my choice and give her the options.

JWDevilDog
04-06-09, 10:21 PM
I have childhood asthma on my record, which has not been treated since I was 12 or so. I also had a DWI conviction almost 3 years ago. Am I beyond eligibility?

If I am still eligible with waivers, I still have a road ahead of me. I need to lose around 25 more pounds (already lost 70 or so) and build a lot of strength. That's more than doable in my eyes, as the goal is easily worth it.

On an unrelated question: If I should make it through the screening process and get a date, what should I do about my active Navy girlfriend? Are there any prospects for us to be anywhere near each other once I am in (and what if we married)?

I realize I will be away for training but if I am stationed in Hawaii, and she's still here in SA - what's the point, right?

Facts, opinions, and advice are all eagerly encouraged. Thanks again for the help! :)

I had childhood asthma too. It didn't DQ me or anything. Just make sure you are completely honest with the recruiter and the gentlemen at MEPS. It isn't anywhere on my record, but the doctors knew about it and didn't DQ me. I was in a similar situation, as I hadn't had an asthma attack for about 7+ years at the time of my enlistment.

The best shot you have of getting stationed with your gf is if you marry her. The Corps (especially since she is in the Navy) will usually do what it can to accomodate the two of you if you are married. But, if she is just a gf, probably not. As the other Lance Corporal said, the Corps doesn't give a sh*t about your girlfriend.

The DWI conviction will not DQ you. I have Marine friends who have much, much worse records than that. At most you will need a waiver. That isn't a big deal, really.

In terms of the physical fitness. I suggest running every other day, and doing a LOT of push-ups. That is a great way to build strength. Also do crunches everyday. If you can do pullups, then start doing pullups and increasing reps. But really, running and push-ups are the best for you right now, without getting too complex.

Good luck.

reallybigshoe
04-06-09, 10:27 PM
It is good to hear there is a chance of sticking together if she should want that. Who knows, though - her last boyfriend was army and his deployment was what broke things up. Then again, apparently he was calling home whining about missing her every chance he got. F*ck that.

Best case scenario would be something like six months before I am ready to ship, so I'll have time to decide to see how the relationship pans out. She is a good woman, so who knows.

I will certainly pick up on the running, push ups, and crunches. I need to find/buy a bar so I can work on the pull ups. I was asking the GF today if I can go with her to the gym on base, but she didn't know. She could just be trying to avoid extra PT honestly. Is this a base-by-base thing or does anyone have info on the general policy on an AF base? Lackland AFB is anyone is from around here.

Marine84
04-07-09, 08:06 AM
On an unrelated question: If I should make it through the screening process and get a date, what should I do about my active Navy girlfriend?

There are plenty of Marines who will watch her for you while you're gone. :) Somebody go wake Jack, I mean Jody, up!