PDA

View Full Version : Havent been on here in a while...Ask Away!

Smitty Puffs
04-06-09, 06:35 PM
I havent posted on here for a while. Ive been in the reserves for about 11 months now, just picked up lance corporal last month. Im currently in my units Scout/Sniper platoon. anyone with querstions about snipers, boot camp, or SOI feel free to ask.

Lupo22
04-06-09, 07:32 PM
When are the Marines getting those sexy M110s!?

Smitty Puffs
04-06-09, 07:36 PM
The M40 has been working out just fine for the last 30 years, im sure its going to stick around for some time. Id take an A4 or an A5 over an SR-25 look-a-like any day of the week.

Lupo22
04-06-09, 07:47 PM
I read an article in one of my tactical magazines the other day on the M110. Its been getting amazing reviews from the Army. I got to see it in action on the Top Sniper show on Military.

Seems like a bad ass weapon. Especially with a suppressor.

The M40 is a great gun. Got to shoot one not too long ago. However, technology does advance...otherwise they'd still be flying around in P-51s :)

Smitty Puffs
04-06-09, 08:44 PM
I read an article in one of my tactical magazines the other day on the M110. Its been getting amazing reviews from the Army. I got to see it in action on the Top Sniper show on Military.

Seems like a bad ass weapon. Especially with a suppressor.

The M40 is a great gun. Got to shoot one not too long ago. However, technology does advance...otherwise they'd still be flying around in P-51s :)If you're implying that the M40 is somehow falling behind the technology curve then you couldnt be more wrong.

Lupo22
04-06-09, 09:26 PM
If you're implying that the M40 is somehow falling behind the technology curve then you couldnt be more wrong.

You obviously have more experience from a tactical standpoint than I do, however, I've been a hunter for a long while using primarily a 7mm rem-mag or a .270 or sometimes my .30-06.

While the M40 may fly straight and be an amazing, reliable weapon, if you miss that first shot, you give up your location, you have to chamber another round, and it isn't very effective in CQB.

The M110 on the other hand has a suppressor to conceal your location much better than an M40 or the M24. Being that its semi automatic, it gives you a chance to take a second shot. And being semi automatic, I'd imagine its slightly more effective in CQB.

I'm not saying the M40 is outdated...during Korea, the P-51 flew sorties right next to the F86...but the F-86 was more effective.

Only time will prove, and like I said, you know more than I do. I'm just basing my comments on what I've read and what I know from practicality through application.

So that being said, why do you think the M40 is better?

Smitty Puffs
04-06-09, 10:24 PM
You obviously have more experience from a tactical standpoint than I do, however, I've been a hunter for a long while using primarily a 7mm rem-mag or a .270 or sometimes my .30-06.

While the M40 may fly straight and be an amazing, reliable weapon, if you miss that first shot, you give up your location, you have to chamber another round, and it isn't very effective in CQB.

The M110 on the other hand has a suppressor to conceal your location much better than an M40 or the M24. Being that its semi automatic, it gives you a chance to take a second shot. And being semi automatic, I'd imagine its slightly more effective in CQB.

I'm not saying the M40 is outdated...during Korea, the P-51 flew sorties right next to the F86...but the F-86 was more effective.

Only time will prove, and like I said, you know more than I do. I'm just basing my comments on what I've read and what I know from practicality through application.

So that being said, why do you think the M40 is better?
Im not saying ones better then the other, its just the Marines have no reason to change. Any rifle with a Minute of angle of 1 is a damn good sniper rifle. Ive only put rounds down range through the M40 a handful of times but ive never used a rifle that was so damn consisten and easy to use. As far as CQB goes, using you're weapon for anything under 100m is unnecessary and probably never going to happen. Thats one of the many purposes of a spotter, to provide security for the primary shooter with a weapon such as a m16 or an m4. Not too mention a sniper is going to go to his sidearm if it **** hits the fan. And id bet someone who's talented with an M40 is going to have no problem getting a second quick shot off using the rapid bolt. Ive seen actual 0317's in my platoon shoot 5 rounds off the rapid in under 5 seconds. The "one shot one kill" term is kind of a myth in todays conflicts. Some insurgents are drugged up and are going to take more then one shot to go down. And I have a feeling, not sure though, that the M110 jams like a *****. A problem that ive never heard of anyone having with an M40. Its set up just like an M16 and those ****ers jam all the damn time in a dirty environment like Iraq and afghanistan.

sbombard15
04-08-09, 06:48 PM
I havent posted on here for a while. Ive been in the reserves for about 11 months now, just picked up lance corporal last month. Im currently in my units Scout/Sniper platoon. anyone with querstions about snipers, boot camp, or SOI feel free to ask.

I am also joining the reserves as a 0311 so if i wanted to go scout sniper after boot how would i go about doing that?

Smitty Puffs
04-08-09, 10:24 PM
I am also joining the reserves as a 0311 so if i wanted to go scout sniper after boot how would i go about doing that?
Well you have to get to your unit and wait until the SSP has an indoc. IF you pass the indoc then you'll be apart of the platoon and they will train you to be a sniper. You wont be an official 0317 Scout/Sniper until they get you a spot in the school and you PASS it. Theres 15 guys in my SSP and only 3 are actual 0317's. Me being the new guy the chances of me goign to school anytime soon are slim to none. Not to mention that passing scout/sniper school as a reservist is next to impossible. S/S instructors hate F.AS.T. Marines and they hate Reservists. If you **** up, you're gone. THe only reason im even in the Scout/Sniper Platoon is because I happened to get on the good side of an officer who saw something in me. Guys right out of SOI usually never get a chance to do what im doing. Everyone in my platoon has been to Iraq or afghanistan, except me.

sbombard15
04-08-09, 11:23 PM
Well you have to get to your unit and wait until the SSP has an indoc. IF you pass the indoc then you'll be apart of the platoon and they will train you to be a sniper. You wont be an official 0317 Scout/Sniper until they get you a spot in the school and you PASS it. Theres 15 guys in my SSP and only 3 are actual 0317's. Me being the new guy the chances of me goign to school anytime soon are slim to none. Not to mention that passing scout/sniper school as a reservist is next to impossible. S/S instructors hate F.AS.T. Marines and they hate Reservists. If you **** up, you're gone. THe only reason im even in the Scout/Sniper Platoon is because I happened to get on the good side of an officer who saw something in me. Guys right out of SOI usually never get a chance to do what im doing. Everyone in my platoon has been to Iraq or afghanistan, except me.

So should I put 0317 in my contract or do i have to put 0311 and then hope i can get in? Thanks for the response.

Smitty Puffs
04-09-09, 02:00 AM
haha no dude. You cant just BE a sniper and put it in you're contract. You have to 1. Be an expert rifleman. 2. Have a very high first class PFT 3. Have a high GT score and 4. pass a rigorous indoc.

And theres no gaurantee you're unit will even be having an indoc for the platoon. They only do it when they need more slots to fill, which is few and far between.

And to be honest with you bro, doing this type of stuff isnt as fun as you think it is. Only 20% of a S/S's job is shooting. the rest is mainly recon and surveillance. Its a crap load of memorizing. I remember after my first few days with my team and the classes we got I thought: "if 90% of the kids who say they want to be snipers saw this stuff, they wouldnt want to do it anymore." What im trying to say is, take it one step at a time man. You dont even know what being a grunt is like yet.

sbombard15
04-09-09, 08:19 AM
Yea. I just thought if I could put that in my contract and i dont pass the scout sniper school i would be a regular 0311. Thanks.

sbombard15
04-09-09, 08:36 AM
I know that snipers could be in the field for days and not fire a shot but thats fine with me. I would even be happy being a spotter so i would assume the requirements are the same for spotters as they are for the shooters right? I am a very avid shooter so i dont think qualifying shooting wise would be a problem for me. What would i need to do to be qualified on the pft?

Smitty Puffs
04-09-09, 10:10 AM
get a 280+.

A spottet is still a sniper. its usually the more experienced member of a two man sniper team. Stop worrying about being a sniper, if you're ment to be one, you'll be set on the right track eventually. Just worry about being a Marine first and foremost.

sbombard15
04-09-09, 11:33 AM
Thanks. I just want to expore my options and keep them open.

get a 280+.

A spottet is still a sniper. its usually the more experienced member of a two man sniper team. Stop worrying about being a sniper, if you're ment to be one, you'll be set on the right track eventually. Just worry about being a Marine first and foremost.