PDA

View Full Version : Group runs to raise awareness for injured Marines

thedrifter
04-05-09, 07:38 AM
Group runs to raise awareness for injured Marines

By Brooke Katz
Reporter / Producer
Published: April 4, 2009

While some people take part in the Bridge Run for the experience, others do it because of an experience they’ve had.

Laura Langdeau retired from the Marine Corp after being injured by a mortar back in 2004.

“It went right through me before it hit the ground and exploded.”

That’s why she’s running with team Semper Fi. The group is made up of injured marines and their supporters, all working to raise money for those hurt in combat.

“When you get injured in Iraq, you come back, you have no idea what is going on. You’re entire life stops when you get deployed, and then you come back and it stops again, but it stops for you as well as your family.”

This is the third year the group has participated. They had six runners this year, and say it’s been a successful event. Over the course of the weekend, Semper Fi has raised between $12,000 and $15,000. Those running with the team say they’re amazed by the community’s support.

“We had a couple of young guys carrying a Marine Corp flag, and an American flag and they ran the whole race with the team, so it was great.”

Lori Wiegel is a retired sailor with two sons in the military, and she’s been with the group all three years they’ve taken part in the bridge run.

“The love, the camaraderie, just being a part of them was so wonderful, and last year we had two runners that came back and ran this year with us, and I felt like they were my kids coming home.”

Langdeau agrees, it’s a wonderful experience she’s glad to be a part of. And even though it came at a price, she says there is a bright side.

“The more of a challenge it is, the more you strive, the more you push, the more you get on top.”

Want to donate? Click the following link: http://www.semperfifund.org/donate.html

Ellie