PDA

View Full Version : The times of his life

thedrifter
04-05-09, 07:16 AM
The times of his life

Ron Counts, rcounts@starexponent.com (540) 825-0771 ext. 166
Published: April 5, 2009

Mick McAllister was part of one of World War II’s largest invasions that never came to fruition thanks to the heroics of a relative that helped strike what would be the conflict’s final blow.

“I’m nobody, but my brother-in-law is very famous,” says the former Navy Pharmacist’s Mate 2C. “I could’ve been killed in the invasion, but my next-door neighbor from home, who also happens to be my wife’s brother, saved my ass.”

McAllister was a medic assigned to the first wave of the second Marine Division, which was set to storm the beaches on the Japanese island of Lyte, but never hit the sand because of McAllister’s brother-in-law Ted “Dutch” Vankirk and the rest of the crew of the Enola Gay — a B-29 bomber — who ended the war by dropping the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.

The invasion force was 1 million strong, supported by a fleet of around 800 ships, according to McAllister, who says most people don’t even know about the sizable contingent’s plans.

“Some people have said, ‘They weren’t really going to invade,’” he says. “The hell we weren’t, we were headed in. I dealt mostly with Marines, who were a tough breed and still are. I never saw guys like that, who said, ‘We’ll go ashore and we’ll whip their ass no problem.’ And I have admired and respected the Marines all my life for all they do.”

McAllister has seen plenty during his lifetime — whether it was as a medic, a boy scout or a member of an orchestra — but there’s one thing he has had a love affair with since high school, and that’s tennis.

“Tennis is my relief of stress,” he says. “It has been the saving factor in terms of staying healthy, and if I get discouraged or disgusted or feel like life is running out on me I just play a little tennis and the next thing you know I can be positive again.”

The 84-year-old Lake of the Woods resident has been playing tennis two times a week at the Culpeper Sport and Racquet Club for 21 years, and McAllister says the game has never been as important as it is now because his wife, Jean, undergoes dialysis treatments in Culpeper three times a week.

“Tennis has been a saving grace,” he says. “The treatments are stressful not only for her but for me too. I’ve got to make sure I don’t get sick so I can get her there and back and do what I can at the house to help all I can.”

McAllister has gotten used to playing at the facility on Industrial Drive every Tuesday and Thursday, but when he showed up to take the court on March 31, the club’s staff had quite the surprise planned for him — a birthday party complete with cake, ice cream and balloons.

“We think it’s great he (McAllister) still enjoys the game so much,” the Racquet club’s Carolyn Beckham says. “But that’s the way tennis is. You can keep playing in your 80s, that’s the beauty of the sport.”

Tennis pro Joe Noth says the clay courts are a lot easier on knees and other joints and McAllister’s love of the sport have kept him chasing backhands and for so long.

“It’s just a game that sticks with you for the rest of your life,” Noth says. “I have kids that are 3-years-old all the way up to Mick’s age coming out here.”

McAllister formed his own tennis club with eight of his friends not long after moving to Lake of the Woods in 1987 and even though some members have passed away and others may have simply moved on, they’ve been hitting the indoor courts at the racquet club ever since.

“I look forward to it every Tuesday and Thursday,” retired Marine Joe Nolan says. “It’s the highlight of my week.”

Most people probably can’t fathom an 84-year-old man sprinting from foul line to foul line chasing down shots like Roger Federer, but even though he may have lost a step or two over the years, Alice Mote says he’s no pushover with a racquet in his hand.

“It inspires us to try and stay healthy and active to play like he does,” she says. “He’s a tireless competitor and he plays like he’s 50.”

It’s not only McAllister’s athleticism that’s an inspiration, but also his attitude, according to another of his teammates, Louisa Bradford.

“All I can say is Mick is the most fun to play with and against,” she says. “Because he’s always got a good joke every week and he’s always got a good sense of humor and never down. And if I could be half that steady, I would love it.”

Even with the stresses that come with an ailing loved one and getting older, McAllister still finds a way to be serious about his tennis. He’s on the court promptly at 2 o’clock and Nolan says McAllister still hates to lose.

“It (tennis) has been the saving factor in terms of keeping my shape and weight in control,” says the 5-foot-7 inch, 135-pound McAllister, who can still fit into his original Boy Scout and Navy uniforms. “I’m like everyone else, sometimes there will be a ball called out and I’ll have to fuss a little, ‘hey wait a minute that was in!’ but even though I win some and lose some, it has always been enjoyable.”

Many people slow down and even get a little despondent as they get older, but that’s not McAllister’s style.

So what’s his secret? Nolan has an idea.

“Drink high quality vodka,” he says with a laugh and a poke to McAllister’s ribs. “Don’t drink that cheap stuff.”

84 Years Young About the series

84-year-old Mick McAllister has seen plenty in his lifetime, but three things he has always loved are
tennis, music and scouting.

The Star-Exponent will take a look at McAllister’s inspirational life in a three-part series.

Today: Tennis

Monday: Music

Tuesday: Scouting

Ellie