PDA

View Full Version : Eagles and more gather to show support for troops

thedrifter
04-05-09, 06:58 AM
Eagles and more gather to show support for troops
Comments 1 | Recommend 0
April 4, 2009 - 4:48 PM
MOLLY K. DEWITT

More than 50 people gathered Saturday along Marine Boulevard to show their support to local military.

Attendees waved flags and urged passing motorists to honk to show their support for the military as part of Operation Celebrate Americas Military II, put on by military support organization, Gathering of Eagles.

Among those in attendance were members of the Patriot Guard Riders, Rolling Thunder, Disabled American Veterans Auxiliary, Beirut Chapter of the Military Order of the Purple Heart, Military Appreciation Day and Gathering of Eagles.

The first Operation Celebrate Americas Military event was held in January 2008 as a counter to the protest in Jacksonville staged by the Westboro Baptist Church, the controversial group known to picket the funerals of service members.

Husband and wife, Jennifer and Armindo Rodrigues, of Jacksonville, attended the event. Jennifer Rodrigues said she wanted to show her support because her dad served in the Marine Corps for 22 years and retired in Jacksonville.

Armindo Rodrigues, a native of Portugal, said he attended the event because he believes everyone should support the troops.

"Even though I was never in the military, I have a lot of support for them," he said. "There's no better place in the world than the United States."

Armindo Rodrigues said attending the event also shows support for the wives and families of troops as well.

Military wife Jillian View held a sign at the event thanking all those who have served, are serving or will serve.

"I want to join into the fun. It's exciting to get to be a part of something like this," she said.

View, whose husband is deployed to Iraq, said the public and service members often hear only negative things about the troops and the war, and that it's important to show something positive.

"Even in this town, you still get people that don't support," she said. "I don't know how they can't."

Among the supporters was George Samek of Shallotte, a Vietnam veteran and member of Gathering of Eagles.

"Vietnam vets never forget, it's never over," he said. "I went to Vietnam twice, I got spit on, I want to spit back."

Samek said he hopes the public show of support for the military will spread and reach beyond those who drove by or attended the event.

"I want to inspire our grandchildren, to let them know that somebody really cares," he said. "Each person that sees us can tell 10 more."

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow government reporter Molly DeWitt at 910-219-8455 or mdewitt@freedomenc.com.

Ellie