PDA

View Full Version : After Boot Camp

curlyfryc08
04-04-09, 01:38 PM
I just recently swore into the DEP and my ship date is Oct 12. Once (if) I graduate from boot camp, what is the normal sequence of events? Do they send me right off to school or what? I haven't signed for a job yet but depending on how I do on my DLAB, I'm really interested in becoming an interpreter. If not that, then I'm looking into other Intel MOS's? What kinds of things should I talk to my recruiter about?

JWDevilDog
04-04-09, 03:23 PM
After boot camp, you have 10 days of leave, followed by MCT. MCT may or may not start right away, depending on various factors. If it doesn't start for awhile, it is possible (although unlikely) that you will be given orders for recruiter's assistance. After MCT you will go straight to your MOS school, and usually you will be granted leave (if you choose to take it) after your schooling. You will then hit the Fleet Marine Force.

Try the following websites to read up on MOSs that you are probably interested in.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/27.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/26.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/02.htm

curlyfryc08
04-05-09, 12:04 AM
Oh ok. That actually clears a lot of things up. How long is MCT and what are the details of the FMF? I looked it up and I don't really understand a whole lot about it.

Achped
04-05-09, 12:27 AM
What the hell are you talking about? Details of the FMF?

Fubar5812
04-05-09, 12:39 AM
MCT is 1 month long for non infantry MOS's,Grunts do ITB which is 3 months long as this is MCT (but more in depth obviously) and there MOS school.

and im with achped,wtf do you mean "details on the FMF"????

JWDevilDog
04-05-09, 01:20 AM
Well, "details of the FMF" is kinda a vague question, but I'll see what I can do.

The FMF is simply your duty station. Your new home. You get deployed from there, you do your work there. You live there. It is your life for however long you are stationed there (usually about two years). What the FMF is like is radically different for every Marine, every unit, everywhere.

Achped
04-05-09, 04:47 AM
LCpl JW...you're from Okinawa. Everywhere else duty stations are 3 years (aka you spend your entire first enlistment there) In Oki its a 2 year tour as are other overseas duty stations.

LCpl Walling! Congrats on your promotion.

Lucky11
04-05-09, 06:50 AM
Curly the best thing i reccomend for you to do is to get through you Boot Camp, MCT and MOS schooling before even worrying about the FMF (Fleet Marine Force).. Theres plenty of time to ask questions later on and believe me you will find out soon enough.. As for now concentrate on the first Tasks at hand BOOT CAMP MCT and MOS School....Stay motivated and keep your eye on the prize EARNING THE TITLE....EARNED NEVER GIVEN!!

JWDevilDog
04-05-09, 07:23 AM
As for now concentrate on the first Tasks at hand BOOT CAMP MCT and MOS School....Stay motivated and keep your eye on the prize EARNING THE TITLE....EARNED NEVER GIVEN!!

The very first task at hand is preparing yourself for boot camp while in the DEP. You have signed the contract, so work starts now.

curlyfryc08
04-05-09, 11:25 AM
Well, "details of the FMF" is kinda a vague question, but I'll see what I can do.

The FMF is simply your duty station. Your new home. You get deployed from there, you do your work there. You live there. It is your life for however long you are stationed there (usually about two years). What the FMF is like is radically different for every Marine, every unit, everywhere.

Ah, thank you. That's about exactly what I was wondering. Sorry about the vagueness of the question. Now I have a much better understanding of what's going on. All I have to do now is prepare for boot camp and find a job, lol. Thanks!

Fubar5812
04-06-09, 12:40 AM
thank you corporal :)

JGiddens
06-03-09, 03:21 AM
I dont think its too out of line for a poolee to ask what the FMF is all about... who cares if he would rather ask here instead of googling it.

The only piece of advice I have for you is be confident and know that you can and will succeed in whatever you choose to do with the Marines. The whole thing where you stated "if I graduate" is setting you up for failure, really. Boot Camp is easy, MCT is easier, and the fleet is just another adventure.