PDA

View Full Version : Injured Marines set to run bridge to support others like them

thedrifter
04-04-09, 06:44 AM
Injured Marines set to run bridge to support others like them

Posted: April 3, 2009 09:40 PM

Updated: April 3, 2009 10:14 PM

By Anthony Miller

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - "I was wounded by a mortar, it went through my arm before it hit the ground and shattered the bone," said retired Marine Laura Langdeau.

The Connecticut native was injured fighting in Iraq.

Today the retired Marine is back on her feet and planning to run the Cooper River Bridge Run for others just like her.

"Our mission is to provide financial assistance to injured Marines and sailors," said Wendy Lethine of the organization Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund.

The group was formed back in 2004 out of necessity.

"We've been able to give out $29 million in assistance to over three thousand Marines, sailors and service members throughout the country," said Lethine.

"This organization does it all for them and they don't ask questions, they're like, here you go, you need help we're there," said Langdeau.

Langdeau and five other injured Marines will run the bridge together Saturday, in an effort to raise more money for others injured in battle.

"The challenges they face as injured Marines and sailors hasn't stopped them from competing in athletic events," said Lethine.

Friday, the group gathered for a pasta dinner in Hanahan, getting as many carbs as they can for their morning run.

Saturday they'll hit the road, some broken but not beaten showing the world just what Marines are made of.

And as far as a finishing time for the bridge run?

Well, they make no promises.

"(I'll finish) uh, as fast as I can, under an hour maybe 59:59."

No matter the time all American hero's still fighting for their brothers and sisters in arms.

Ellie