PDA

View Full Version : A wanna be in need of tips

GavinL91
04-03-09, 11:59 PM
Im a jr in hs and i am considering joining the Marines after hs so my family wont have to worry about sending me to college and so i can have disipline in my life.My issues right now is my weight,im 6 ft and weigh 300.i play football for my school and have weight training for a class.I drink only water and try to eat healty. i run 10 hills twice a day and do 5 sets of 10 pushups and 5 sets of 20 crunches twice a day and i do this all while double layered in clothing.I started this workout last monday,i call the recruiter and told them about wanting info and said i will have to the DEP.He wants to meet me one on one and talk,but i dont think im ready to walk into the office yet,and i dont think my dad is cool on me wanting to join,i havent told him yet.Im overweight now,but im willing to work my ass off and do something my family never did,and thats be able to call myself a Marine!
Thnx if anyone can help me out.

JWDevilDog
04-04-09, 12:08 AM
First bit of advice is fill out your profile and read the Poolee rules. You will get no responses from Marines that are helpful if you don't adhere to the rules. :evilgrin:

jinelson
04-04-09, 12:30 AM
ROTFLMMFAO!!!!!!!! You have got to be kidding me.

Jim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/froglaffing.gif

sparkie
04-04-09, 06:29 AM
It's Springtime!!!!!!!! The FROG is back.

TTX
04-04-09, 08:59 AM
Lets see! You are H.S. junior, over weight, and concerning about your father/family won't support you joining.

You have one year to get rid of those extra pounds and discuss with your family about you wanting to join the Marine Corps.

By the way, why don't you try to do 20 dead hang pullups, 100 crunches in 2 minutes, and 22 minutes 3 miles run?

GavinL91
04-04-09, 11:36 AM
Lets see! You are H.S. junior, over weight, and concerning about your father/family won't support you joining.

You have one year to get rid of those extra pounds and discuss with your family about you wanting to join the Marine Corps.

By the way, why don't you try to do 20 dead hang pullups, 100 crunches in 2 minutes, and 22 minutes 3 miles run?I believe in building myself up to that,i dont know many people who are considering joining just jump up and start doing PFT testing,especially if your overweight.

TTX
04-04-09, 02:02 PM
By the way, why don't you try to do 20 dead hang pullups, 100 crunches in 2 minutes, and 22 minutes 3 miles run?

You have until next year!

jungholee90
04-04-09, 04:34 PM
DEP is to help you get fit and be ready for Boot Camp. Before doing that though you have to lose some weight by yourself to fall under DEP weight standard. Once you're in they will have you come PT with them at least once every week. I was in it for a year before I shipped out. Walking in the office is just to talk about the options and to get yourself some information and use them to talk to your parents about. If you really want this you will lose those pounds no doubt. Like what SSgt told you you have a year so set your goal to passing 1st class PFT and work up to it.

Marine84
04-04-09, 08:07 PM
I been looking for that frog!!!

GavinL91
04-04-09, 10:47 PM
what does the frog mean?I feel left out

Petz
04-04-09, 11:14 PM
don't worry about the frog... it's laughing.

you need to work on your grammar too.. it's making me want to stab my eyes out with my bayonet.

anyways... go get info from the recruiter. <-- that's not a question or me begging

start running on flat ground for as long as you can, preferably a track so you know how far you have ran... then once you can run 3 miles, start timing yourself... running up and down hills will do nothing but hurt yourself if you are over weight.

start doing pull-ups... being over weight is a great opportunity to build that muscle as skinny guys need to put on weight belts to get the effect that you decided a long time ago to produce.

start doing sit-ups as you need to improve your core muscle group... don't ask why, just do it... bet you can't do 44 in 2 min. (min requirements to get picked up by your platoon in boot camp)... so start practicing.

now, if you really want to convince your parents that joining is for you, you need to know why they dis-approve... then once you know that you can slowly show them that the motivation you have for joining is making you a healthier person... ('cause you are losing weight) and that you feel it's what you want to do in life... but that's something you need to figure out (what you'll tell them)

now, you have what you asked for, go do it.

Achped
04-05-09, 04:50 AM
LOL, hey Marines give him a break he "started this workout on Monday". 5 sets of 10 pushups...that's trying!

Petz
04-05-09, 10:02 AM
that's 5 sets of 10 Marine Corps push-ups.

that's not stellar in any way.

Marine84
04-05-09, 10:54 AM
what does the frog mean?I feel left out

It just means SSGT Nelson's meds are working.

Petz
04-05-09, 01:37 PM
um 5 sets of 5 Marine Corps push-ups... I'm off my game today.

GavinL91
04-05-09, 07:15 PM
ive gotten thru this week and will adding on for my next week,dieting and workouts are hard,and im findin the right time to give my dad the "talk"

GavinL91
04-05-09, 10:42 PM
also when i talked to my recruiter i told him i was overweight and he still wants me to come see him,what will there be to talk about.

TJR1070
04-06-09, 07:35 AM
Gavin, S

Start paying attention, attention to detail is a good way to start off on your Marine Corps career and the only way to have a long one. The L/Cpl and the SSgt have both given you the answers to your questions. Talking to the recruiter will give him some idea of what he is working with, and it will afford you the opportunity to ask any questions you want. Also he can give you some detailed information on jobs, possible ship dates and will have a great diet and excercise plan. The most important thing is he probably has other poolee's that either are or were in the same situation as you. Maybe one of the young Marines on recruiters assistance had a problem with weight before getting to go to boot camp, maybe another poolee had trouble getting his parents to understand his desicion to join. This website is only one resource, your recruiter will be your library.

GavinL91
04-06-09, 11:29 AM
Gavin, S

Start paying attention, attention to detail is a good way to start off on your Marine Corps career and the only way to have a long one. The L/Cpl and the SSgt have both given you the answers to your questions. Talking to the recruiter will give him some idea of what he is working with, and it will afford you the opportunity to ask any questions you want. Also he can give you some detailed information on jobs, possible ship dates and will have a great diet and excercise plan. The most important thing is he probably has other poolee's that either are or were in the same situation as you. Maybe one of the young Marines on recruiters assistance had a problem with weight before getting to go to boot camp, maybe another poolee had trouble getting his parents to understand his desicion to join. This website is only one resource, your recruiter will be your library.Thnx,that makes me feel a little more comfortable about seeing a recruiter,and thnx to all that helped.

Petz
04-09-09, 07:05 AM
you should ALWAYS thank the senior Marine... not that the junior Marines don't contribute, but customs and courtesies dictate you address, salute and thank the senior Marine of the group.

Semper Learn.