PDA

View Full Version : uniforms for prior service

retread09
04-03-09, 11:01 AM
Hey I've been out since Sep 03. The SSgt I've been speaking to gives a story of having gone through a similar situation in his life and seems motivated to help. He talked with me for a while and on the next meeting we faxed off for a copy of my records. One of my questions was about uniforms...I asked him where I would get my new uniforms (got out just before we HAD to have the digi cammies and I doubt my service uniforms are "inspection ready". He told me that when he went through this process he went to mcrd parris island and stood in line with all the other recruits...now that's funny. He said I would also get all my initial gear issue there. Not to doubt his wisom but it's easy to do when I we first sat down he said "You probably won't have to go back to boot camp"..I sat back and asked him if there was I chance I would have to and he said yes..but not likely..huh??I knew that much wasn't true. Hopfeully just trying to **** with me and not serious. "Sir, this corporal requests to make an emergency head call?" Anyways does anyone themselves know or know someone who would know how the initial gear issue works for retreads. I mean, whether my school is soi or nas pensacola I can't exactly show up in service civies. :marine:

retread09
04-06-09, 02:48 PM
come on, somebody has to know how this works??

Accord
04-06-09, 03:16 PM
Well you won't get your actual issued CIF gear until you check into your permanent unit. If you're going to SOI or some other school, they'll issue you all the gear you'll need throughout the course of the school and you turn it back in before graduation. Do you have a military ID yet? You could go to the uniform shop at any base and buy what you need.

jcarter73
04-06-09, 03:38 PM
it depends on what your situation is.

Per the order

b. Marines are required to maintain their initial uniform issue per the
current edition of MCO P10120.28 until 90 days after the completion of their
MSO (total of mandatory Reserve and Active duty service). Marines returning
to active duty who have remaining obligated service and do not have a
complete uniform issue upon reenlistment will replace missing uniform items
at their own expense. To limit undue financial hardship, local commanders
will initiate a Combined Individual Clothing Requisition and Issue Slip
(NAVMC 604/604B) and provide Marines the option of liquidating the uniform
expense over a 12 month period. However, commanders with special court
martial convening authority may waive this requirement if circumstances
warrant (i.e., the loss of the uniforms not the fault of the Marine).

so I'd assume you'd have to deal with the admin shop for them to do the research... Probably set you up at your joining units clothing store.

jcarter73
04-06-09, 03:40 PM
I'm in the same boat... once my package comes back approved... I plan on taking a trip down to Quantico, VA closest to my HOR here in NH to get my clothing issue, tailor, and dry clean...

Alisium
04-06-09, 03:50 PM
I looked into going back in and what happens is you'll stay and help your local recruiter for a month or so, just to make sure you have all admin stuff worked out before they ship you to your new unit. They make sure your pay is working, can access MOL and stuff like that. I would imagine at that time they would find a way for you to get your full uniform set.

retread09
04-06-09, 09:17 PM
thanks fellas

MT3533
04-07-09, 11:47 AM
In my case, I am going back as a reservist. The GYSGT that is working with my told me that the unit will do a uniform survey for all my gear. Since I was off active duty before the digital cammies and new boots came out, I would be issued the required sets.

retread09
04-07-09, 01:29 PM
In my case, I am going back as a reservist. The GYSGT that is working with my told me that the unit will do a uniform survey for all my gear. Since I was off active duty before the digital cammies and new boots came out, I would be issued the required sets.
Yeah, I got out in Sep 03, when it wasn't mandatory yet to have digitals. So hopefully I would be issued them. Of course, you said that your unit would do a uniform survey....we'll I know my alphas aren't wearable any more so I'll have to at least get those so I can check into my unit. I'm in the upstate of South Carolina, so I don't know where I'd go to buy that stuff.

Alisium
04-07-09, 01:36 PM
You might have to make a day trip to Lejune.

retread09
04-07-09, 02:04 PM
You might have to make a day trip to Lejune.
good point, I guess that would be the closest....does Lejeune have a uniform store off base that I could buy my service uni's...wondering, because I don't know when/where I'll get a military i.d....or if I could just get a temporary pass or something ( I know I'm lost in the sauce but I'm trying not to bug the SSgt recruiter with every single question )until my dd214/records come in (only been 2 1/2 weeks)....by the way waiting really sucks...i'm unemployed and have ran myself into shin splints:thumbdown so it sucks not being able to run when I'm trying my best to kill the ist.

Alisium
04-07-09, 02:07 PM
I would imagine they do. That's the home of the Second MarDiv so Lejune would be the equivalent of Camp Pendleton.

You might have to wait till you get your new id card and they'll probably give you a clothing allowance up front to go buy your uniforms.

ssgtblue
04-07-09, 04:30 PM
When you get to your Reserve unit the first thing you need to do is go and see the s-4 shop. They will servay all of the uniforms that you have and you can get a 1 of 1 swap. That being said it is for the same size as the org. You will get the new Cammies, boots etc. Now I dont know if they have one on the east side but I am sure they have something like it. Go to the Depot and look for something like quarter sales on Cammies. You can get a great set for very little... Ask around at your Reserve unit...

SSgt Blue

retread09
04-07-09, 06:45 PM
When you get to your Reserve unit the first thing you need to do is go and see the s-4 shop. They will servay all of the uniforms that you have and you can get a 1 of 1 swap. That being said it is for the same size as the org. You will get the new Cammies, boots etc. Now I dont know if they have one on the east side but I am sure they have something like it. Go to the Depot and look for something like quarter sales on Cammies. You can get a great set for very little... Ask around at your Reserve unit...

SSgt Blue
thanks, SSgt but I'm actually goin active duty.

Supersquishy
04-17-09, 02:58 PM
retread09, how long did it take to get your OMPF?
Whats your status right now?

jcarter73
04-17-09, 03:09 PM
I'm going through the same PSEP process for return to Active Duty too... OMPF only took 10 days to arrive. I faxed the request down. Got through all the way through the package process to include the MEPS physical and PFT in 3 weeks from start to finish. They threw a curve ball at me this week however, They need me to Swim Qual at WS2 for the MOS I selected (0861). Waiting for the Reserve Unit S3 to get together with my recruiter for a date. They have to lock on the local YMCA for the a few hours. Hope to get that done next week... then it's down to MCRC Quantico for approval.

The uniform deal is something I need to sort out as well. They will give me the clothing allowance up front, I plan to get myself down to Quantico as it's the closest base to my HOR (NH).

As I get any details on that front I'll post, as no one seems to really have a handle on that. I also have the POC for PSEP at MCRC Quantico if you want to call to see if your package has arrived.

Helps to know people... not to effect outcome, but once the package leaves your recruiter's hands they quickly lose interest in helping or getting updates.

I worked for the MCRC at Quantico as a Civilian GS Employee after my first enlistment and still have good contacts there.

Best of luck

Supersquishy
04-17-09, 03:54 PM
jcarter73, are you allowed to post those POC numbers here for us Marines trying to get back in and need to know?

I think we should have a sticky for the exact process, requirements, age limits, who and what to contact for updates on packages etc. etc. for refernce instead of going through all these millions of posts. IMO

jcarter73
04-17-09, 03:57 PM
I can't post them... but I can give them out on an individual basis...

Send me an e-mail to joncarter@att.blackberry.net and if you are in process
I'll give you the hook-up.

Just please I'm asking that you don't abuse the POC...

retread09
04-19-09, 09:12 PM
I'm going through the same PSEP process for return to Active Duty too... OMPF only took 10 days to arrive. I faxed the request down. Got through all the way through the package process to include the MEPS physical and PFT in 3 weeks from start to finish. They threw a curve ball at me this week however, They need me to Swim Qual at WS2 for the MOS I selected (0861). Waiting for the Reserve Unit S3 to get together with my recruiter for a date. They have to lock on the local YMCA for the a few hours. Hope to get that done next week... then it's down to MCRC Quantico for approval.

The uniform deal is something I need to sort out as well. They will give me the clothing allowance up front, I plan to get myself down to Quantico as it's the closest base to my HOR (NH).

As I get any details on that front I'll post, as no one seems to really have a handle on that. I also have the POC for PSEP at MCRC Quantico if you want to call to see if your package has arrived.

Helps to know people... not to effect outcome, but once the package leaves your recruiter's hands they quickly lose interest in helping or getting updates.

I worked for the MCRC at Quantico as a Civilian GS Employee after my first enlistment and still have good contacts there.

Best of luck

Wow! Ten days? It's been a month and I'm still waiting on my OMPF (keep hearing any day now) ...anyways congrats, I'm glad to heard the process is going well. Thanks for the info, it's nice to know other people going through the same thing. Yeah, be sure to update how the uniform deal and all that stuff works out. Later.

Petz
04-23-09, 01:20 AM
I looked into going back in and what happens is you'll stay and help your local recruiter for a month or so, just to make sure you have all admin stuff worked out before they ship you to your new unit. They make sure your pay is working, can access MOL and stuff like that. I would imagine at that time they would find a way for you to get your full uniform set.

actually it sometimes takes that long for your orders to come down the pipeline....

best to call your monitor once you sign your new contract.

you'll be given the opportunity to get new stuff... you can always buy them here...https://www.nexnet.nexweb.org/pls/nexauth/nexauth.wg_login_proc?p_app_id=9021... but that's after you get back in the system... I think, you can try it now.

they have a good return policy, but you'd have to pay for them up front... but when it's just one pair of each set of cammies and a new set of alphas (so you can at least check into your new unit) then the rest will be issued when possible... it's just a little more out of your pocket, but then at least you got an inspection set of alphas and a use-only pair... that's what I got now... iz vary nice.

Petz
04-23-09, 01:25 AM
Wow! Ten days? It's been a month and I'm still waiting on my OMPF (keep hearing any day now) ...anyways congrats, I'm glad to heard the process is going well. Thanks for the info, it's nice to know other people going through the same thing. Yeah, be sure to update how the uniform deal and all that stuff works out. Later.

you should attempt a re-submit... if you didn't send all the right info or it was illegible they will throw it out... two weeks is about right...

as for your ID... you can get that at the front gate at lejuene or what ever base you goto... just have a clean haircut and shave when you go or they will turn you away... they will see your contract info and put everything on the ID that is required... just have two forms of personal ID with you... and now per the DOD order, any cloths are acceptable (or so my ID shop told me)

Supersquishy
05-05-09, 12:47 PM
retread09, jcarter73 or any others getting back in have any good news or updates to share with us? Im still waiting for OMPF but its only been 2 weeks, any day now......

Big Country
05-05-09, 01:42 PM
Retread you can actually go to the reserve unit over in Greenville to get your ID. I'm not sure if you're still having problems or not. If you are pm me and I'll help you because I'm from Up-State SC also and I came back in 2007.