PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions

Recruit Hopeful
04-02-09, 09:51 PM
Hello!
This is my very first post, I want to join the Marines like crazy and am just waiting to grow a bit older to do so (parents). Anyway I have a few questions:
1) I was diagnosed with a heart murmur last year but the echo showed no structural damage and I have never experienced any related side effects-will this inhibit me from joining?
2) What workouts do you advise to help prepare for Boot Camp (other than running, situps, pull-ups, and dead arm hangs)?
3) I can swim pretty well but I'm not a strong swimmer how can I improve?
Thank you in advance!:flag:

rvillac2
04-03-09, 04:53 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447
#2, #5, and #10

Recruit Hopeful
04-03-09, 10:18 AM
I sincerely apoligize, rvillac2. that was idiotic of me-won't happen again, and thank you for setting me straight!

Recruit Hopeful
04-03-09, 10:36 AM
!

Marine84
04-03-09, 12:52 PM
And the beat goes on.......................

sscjoe
04-03-09, 01:14 PM
I miss Jims frog

ttracker65
04-05-09, 03:34 PM
As to the swim question, Time in the water is the answer. The best thing to raise your swim Qualification is to be comfortable in the water, Spend 2 hours a day Floating, Treading and Swim sprints. Just my two bits worth.

commdog7
04-05-09, 05:52 PM
I was diagnosed with a heart murmur last year but the echo showed no structural damage and I have never experienced any related side effects-will this inhibit me from joining?

As long as the heart murmur is no longer present, you should be fine. I was born with a heart murmur that went away when I was about 10. They let me ship off to boot, but I had to get it checked out by the docs on the Island during processing to ensure that it was gone and I did not acquire any damages from it. And 13 weeks later I was a Marine. If they do let you train, just be cautious of your heart. If something doesn't feel right, go to medical! Hope this helps.

Ruby
04-05-09, 06:46 PM
I don't know about the heart murmer thing, but as far as swim qual goes, I'd advise spending time treading water with weights of some kind. I was one of only 2 female recruits that made it to swim qual 2, and to be honest, you're not going to be swimming more than 50 yds at a time. The distance is cake, it's just trying to keep your head above water while your wearing boots, helmet, flak jacket, pack and rifle that's tough.
When it comes to PT, aside from running, you should try doing some shoulder-presses, dips, suicides, lunges, etc. I graduated as the high PFT for my company, and those worked pretty well for me.

commdog7
04-05-09, 07:09 PM
I don't know about the heart murmer thing, but as far as swim qual goes, I'd advise spending time treading water with weights of some kind. I was one of only 2 female recruits that made it to swim qual 2, and to be honest, you're not going to be swimming more than 50 yds at a time. The distance is cake, it's just trying to keep your head above water while your wearing boots, helmet, flak jacket, pack and rifle that's tough.

You must have had a small platoon, there were 7 recruits who made it to level 2 on their first try in my platoon (I was one of them). It's when you get into the level 1 and level Q that the swimming really gets tough. I'm a level Q right now, you just have to have some determination- that's all. Anyways, swimming with the pack and all the gear isn't as bad as it sounds. Most recruits dread the water when they don the gear, but once they enter the water they are surprised how easy it really is. The water changes the laws of gravity and so the gear is extremely light in the water. I actually prefer the pack and gear when swimming, I find it easier to stay afloat.

Its good to take basic swimming lessons before shipping off to boot. The better swimmer you are now, the easier it will be when you have to qualify. The recruits who have a fear of water have the hardest time qualifying- hopefully you are not one of them.

Recruit Hopeful
04-05-09, 07:31 PM
Thank you for all your input!
And to reply to commdog7: No I'm not afraid of the water I just need to be a better swimmer.
I'm now at college so I will start using the pool each week. Thank you also for the work out advice ma'am I was getting tired of the just the same old same old-I'll add those in as well.
Thanks again!

MD8724
04-05-09, 09:10 PM
Honestly, if you say you are okay in the water, you are fine as far as boot camp goes. If you can swim for the first qual, the others have gear that floats for you. Just work on your cardio so you don't get tired, be it in or out of water.