PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding religion

Alpha90
04-02-09, 12:37 PM
Good day, Marines.

My question regards the place of religion at boot camp. Personally, I feel that I'm an agnostic, and I've heard that I'll be hazed for this belief at boot camp. Could any Marines here shed light on the issue? Will I be asked for religious preference?

Thanks in advance,
Ken.

0231Marine
04-02-09, 12:48 PM
You will not be hazed for not believing in God. You will be asked because you'll need to have something on your dog tags and your DI's may inquire but you won't be hazed. If you are, then you need to speak to your DI's and/or your Platoon Commander because that's not right.

Aside from that, just keep in mind that there are no atheists/agnostics in a fighting hole!

Pete0331
04-02-09, 01:39 PM
Good day, Marines.

My question regards the place of religion at boot camp. Personally, I feel that I'm an agnostic, and I've heard that I'll be hazed for this belief at boot camp. Could any Marines here shed light on the issue? Will I be asked for religious preference?

Thanks in advance,
Ken.

There was a dude in my platoon who was a Wiccan.
He was never treated differently was a result of his beliefs.

You will be asked for religious preference for the info on your dog tags.

KawiGunny
04-02-09, 02:02 PM
We had a kid in our plt that told the DI's that it didn't matter what was on his dog tags because he didn't believe. So they put him down as Roman Catholic.:D

DocGreek
04-02-09, 02:13 PM
HEY, DUDE.....What YOU believe, is YOUR BUSINESS......NO ONE ELSE'S!!!! ANYTHING GOES!!!.....DOC

Alpha90
04-02-09, 02:37 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. It was something I was honestly worrying about a good bit.

Hayes
04-02-09, 03:09 PM
Yea man you have nothing to worry about. Ive been Agnostic since I can remember. They wont care. I mean we had a kid in bootcamp who actually had his religion as Jedi..I **** you not. Ive got pictures of the guys dogtags still haha.

Alpha90
04-02-09, 09:21 PM
Yea man you have nothing to worry about. Ive been Agnostic since I can remember. They wont care. I mean we had a kid in bootcamp who actually had his religion as Jedi..I **** you not. Ive got pictures of the guys dogtags still haha.

I think I've just been converted. Haha.

richerich
04-02-09, 09:25 PM
LOL Gunny.

To the agnostic, You might find the time away to religious services from your DIs a nice break while in boot..

We had a kid in our plt that told the DI's that it didn't matter what was on his dog tags because he didn't believe. So they put him down as Roman Catholic.:D

CplKJSpevak
04-03-09, 02:19 AM
When I was in Bootcamp you were "Catholic" or "Protestant".....that was it........just like, chocolate or vanilla!

Hayes
04-03-09, 06:30 AM
Oh hell yea! My advice is if your religious or not "GO TO CHURCH". I remember my drill instructors saying to the ones that stayed behind and didnt go "You should have went...I am your god now" and he would slay the **** out of them until everyone got back. The first time I didnt go. Mistake!!!After that you would see my ass at church every sunday just to chillax and not get destroyed every day lol

Marine84
04-03-09, 12:50 PM
I had "Druid" put on a pair one time just for $h!t$ and giggles.

NoRemorse
04-03-09, 12:58 PM
I'm a Catholic but I stayed back a few times during that four-hour block to square away all my gear. Straps taped, grunt rolls in order... all that crap that you'd get nice and inspection ready just before the Drill Instructors warned you that a hurricane was coming through...

Or there was a derby...

Or an act of God struck the squadbay... I'll tell you, God is very precise with His natural disasters. Sand everywhere, racks everywhere, gear everywhere. He didn't like us...

0231Marine
04-03-09, 06:59 PM
I had "Druid" put on a pair one time just for $h!t$ and giggles.

I see your Shwarts is as big as mine 84!

sparkie
04-04-09, 05:55 AM
I had "No Pref" on mine 'cause I figured it was none of their business.

Alpha90
04-05-09, 01:19 PM
If I ask them to put "Jedi" or something on mine, will that get me slayed by the DI? Or should I just cut the **** while I'm there?

Hayes
04-05-09, 01:41 PM
If your really a jedi then I say go for it.

Alpha90
04-05-09, 01:45 PM
Thanks, Lance Corporal. Consider this thread answered and finished with, I've realized that I'm being a little immature here, and that I'm not taking boot seriously enough if I'm worrying about stupid stuff like this.

Thanks for the assistance, Marines.

commdog7
04-05-09, 02:38 PM
I hope none of you poolees are satanic, that might not go over too well with the DIs. I don't think there are any satanic religious services in boot....

PaidinBlood
04-05-09, 02:58 PM
I hope none of you poolees are satanic, that might not go over too well with the DIs. I don't think there are any satanic religious services in boot....

They are held daily in the pit... :D

Actually those are more like "come-to-Jesus" meetings...:yes:

ttracker65
04-05-09, 03:29 PM
Son your religion is your own pref. the same as your Political belief as long as you keep them to your self. Just my two bit's worth.

Ruby
04-05-09, 06:15 PM
Hey, even if you don't believe in God, I'd seriously encourage you to go to church. If anything, It's a relief from the DIs, and the music is great, especially at the penocostal services. Those are a lot of fun. It kept me going throughout bootcamp, and besides, you get like 5 hours of free time on Sundays. Church only lasts 1 hour, and you'd really be missing out if you didn't at least give it a try.

BHABIT
04-07-09, 11:30 PM
Simple just put "Infidel"...that's what's on mine. In '66 I didn't know it would be a in thing.

Petz
04-08-09, 12:21 AM
You will not be hazed for not believing in God. You will be asked because you'll need to have something on your dog tags and your DI's may inquire but you won't be hazed. If you are, then you need to speak to your DI's and/or your Platoon Commander because that's not right.

Aside from that, just keep in mind that there are no atheists/agnostics in a fighting hole!

agnostic is actually the belief there IS a higher power, just not one that organized religion follows.

atheist is the one that thinks there is no god or higher power.

but either way, I will give you my experience as I am a "no pref" dog tagger.

I opt'd out of going to service, which was nice because my DIs left me alone, though I polished the ****ters the first phase.

in the second phase more recruits were catching on to my sweet deal and started opt'ing out of going.

third phase my heavy had a hang-over/wanted to hook up with a girl and made everyone goto service even though I said I've been consistently NOT going and is BS that I have to go... and I got a smile out of him then it dis-appeared and told me I had to go, he didn't care.

in the end, it's really up to your DIs. Just listen to what they tell you, and do as you're told... it's not as if you teeth will get pulled out if you have to sit through a sermon... it might be nice to get away from your DIs for half a day each week... you never know.

Petz
04-08-09, 12:22 AM
Hey, even if you don't believe in God, I'd seriously encourage you to go to church. If anything, It's a relief from the DIs, and the music is great, especially at the penocostal services. Those are a lot of fun. It kept me going throughout bootcamp, and besides, you get like 5 hours of free time on Sundays. Church only lasts 1 hour, and you'd really be missing out if you didn't at least give it a try.

what the hell are you talking about?! free time!!! as if after church you can hang out and smoke cigarettes!!! hahahaha.

it's more like you get marched back to the squad bay and get put back to work/training.

all you get is your church time, then you have to wait for every swinging dick to get back, then you goto chow and then you drill the rest of the day.

Petz
04-08-09, 12:26 AM
If I ask them to put "Jedi" or something on mine, will that get me slayed by the DI? Or should I just cut the **** while I'm there?

had a recruit in another platoon with the last name of Yoder.... our series gunnery Sgt told him on the slide for life to use the force (apparently he knew it was coming) so he just let go of the rope and "splash!!" in he went.

so yeah, they'll find things to have fun with you about... imagine what luke was doing with yoda on degobah... do you really think you can do a hand stand on one hand with a trash can on your foot while balancing??? you might after boot if you say you're a jedi.

Ruby
04-09-09, 06:41 AM
what the hell are you talking about?! free time!!! as if after church you can hang out and smoke cigarettes!!! hahahaha.

it's more like you get marched back to the squad bay and get put back to work/training.

all you get is your church time, then you have to wait for every swinging dick to get back, then you goto chow and then you drill the rest of the day.

Hey, we had 4 freakin hours to do whatever the heck we wanted in the squadbay after church, (minus the cigarettes) and the DI's pretty much left us alone, except for occasionally telling us to shut up. The Di's called it Sunday liberty, I call it free time. It was boring, really. Made me look forward to drill.

Petz
04-09-09, 06:53 AM
Hey, we had 4 freakin hours to do whatever the heck we wanted in the squadbay after church, (minus the cigarettes) and the DI's pretty much left us alone, except for occasionally telling us to shut up. The Di's called it Sunday liberty, I call it free time. It was boring, really. Made me look forward to drill.

are you a Marine??? how bout calling me SSgt!!!!

anyways, you had it easy... what Bn where you? 1st?

PaidinBlood
04-09-09, 08:45 AM

We had "square away" time during which if I correctly recall, a few activities were permitted...read/write mail...take a crap (otherwise forbidden during daylight hours)...read a newspaper(they normally were only for cleaning) and I think that was it maybe. Oh yeah-actually squaring things away, too....locker, marking gear, studying, etc.

commdog7
04-09-09, 10:06 AM
[quote=PaidinBlood;475422]read a newspaper(they normally were only for cleaning)[quote]

You had it better than we did. No newspapers for us....

Square away time was awesome, except when the DI's decided to have a little fun. Anyone remember 'two sheets and a blanket'? It was my DI's favorite game during square away time. I learned fast not to square away my rack immediately afterwards, because the DI would often come out shortly after the racks were made and we would play it again. Good times, good times.

commdog7
04-09-09, 10:08 AM
[quote=PaidinBlood;475422]read a newspaper(they normally were only for cleaning)

Square away time was awesome, except when the DI's decided to have a little fun. Anyone remember 'two sheets and a blanket'? It was my DI's favorite game during square away time. I learned fast not to square away my rack immediately afterwards, because the DI would often come out shortly after the racks were made and we would play it again. They always knew how to keep us busy. Good times, good times.

PaidinBlood
04-09-09, 10:17 AM
[quote=commdog7;475531]

Square away time was awesome, except when the DI's decided to have a little fun. Anyone remember 'two sheets and a blanket'? It was my DI's favorite game during square away time. I learned fast not to square away my rack immediately afterwards, because the DI would often come out shortly after the racks were made and we would play it again. They always knew how to keep us busy. Good times, good times.

There's always one harder (or bigger or tougher or etc)out there....

commdog7
04-09-09, 10:23 AM
[quote=commdog7;475531]

Instead of editting, I accidentally did a double post. Hopefully the mods can delete this. (sorry!) :iwo:

commdog7
04-09-09, 10:26 AM
There's always one harder (or bigger or tougher or etc)out there....

I pride myself on being harder and tougher, Rah! :banana:

PaidinBlood
04-09-09, 10:27 AM
[quote=PaidinBlood;475541]

I pride myself on being harder and tougher, Rah! :banana:

:thumbup: A little too moto this early in the morning, but good answer nonetheless..

ttracker65
04-09-09, 12:51 PM
With us if you did not want to go to Church you got to Field Day the Barracks, after you were done you had free time. I still miss Rack Races and Flood/Earthquake (Old Times)

ttracker65
04-09-09, 01:05 PM
Almost forgot the Tornado that hit the Barracks every time we had an easy T-Schedule

Ruby
04-09-09, 03:31 PM
are you a Marine??? how bout calling me SSgt!!!!

anyways, you had it easy... what Bn where you? 1st?

Yes, I'm a Marine, a very new one, and I'm very sorry if I came off disrespectfull SSgt, It wasn't intentional.
I was with 4th Bn, and we did have it easy. (on Sundays anyway)

PaidinBlood
04-09-09, 03:34 PM
Yes, I'm a Marine, a very new one, and I'm very sorry if I came off disrespectfull SSgt, It wasn't intentional.

Ruby-don't let Commdog see that-she will shi t a chicken if she sees a lady admitting life is good in 4th Bn...:D (even a little bit)

commdog7
04-09-09, 03:48 PM

It sounds like you were in N Co, otherwise known as the 'Princess Platoon'. In O Co, we had some of the meanest Drill Instructors on the Island- bred straight from Satan himself! Our fire-breathing DIs could smell a recruit a mile away... only the hard core Marines made it through O Co, 4th BN. The rest... well... I'm not sure exactly what happened to them... they just suddenly vanished. I'm pretty sure our DI's ate some of them, those non-hackers of ours. Only the strong survived.

Blood, sweat, and tears- that was our life for those 13 hellish days on that Island. Sunday was no exception.

Semper Fidelis :iwo:

PaidinBlood
04-09-09, 04:01 PM
It sounds like you were in N Co, otherwise known as the 'Princess Platoon'. In O Co, we had some of the meanest Drill Instructors on the Island- bred straight from Satan himself! Our fire-breathing DIs could smell a recruit a mile away... only the hard core Marines made it through O Co, 4th BN. The rest... well... I'm not sure exactly what happened to them... they just suddenly vanished. I'm pretty sure our DI's ate some of them, those non-hackers of ours. Only the strong survived.

Blood, sweat, and tears- that was our life for those 13 hellish days on that Island. Sunday was no exception.

http://www.blakeneymanor.com/images/carryon/shock.jpg

Petz
04-09-09, 10:04 PM

um, weeks... right?

anyways... the men didn't cry. goes to show a womans temperament... sad really.

but it should help those who wonder why women aren't allowed in combat roles understand the reasons... hahahahahaha:iwo:

score one for the male half of the species!

Ruby
04-10-09, 06:11 AM

Nasty Co? haha no, I was O Co. And the DI's were mean as hell. They still get their blood, sweat and tears, I guess I could just take it a little better than some of the others. (1/4 of our platoon dropped.) The N Co. DI's would threaten their problem recruits with being moved to O Co. as punishment. :bunny:

Captain Kirk
04-10-09, 06:27 AM
Goodmorning Marines.

No matter what you believe I pray for you that You will be safe and blessed and return home to us; I'll personally give you a hero's welcome as I do with every service person I see. I'll buy your lunch or dinnner, I'll thank God for you and aanything you have need of is yours if it is within my power to get it for you.

When I returned home on a streacher, wounded I was pelted with tomatoes and called murderer and baby killer. I promise you that will NEVER happen to you as long as I have breath!

Happy Easter.

commdog7
04-11-09, 06:45 AM
I'm just having a little fun. :D
Although my DI's were more machine than human, they trained us well. Makes me want to go out and kill a terrorist, Rah! :banana:

Petz
04-11-09, 09:04 AM
to bad you're in CUBA.