PDA

View Full Version : Reserve Questions

fox223
04-02-09, 10:34 AM
I spoke with my recruiter briefly yesterday and had some questions about the reserves. Most of them were answered, but some left me asking questons. I didn't want to keep him on the phone too long - he's actually on leave because his wife just had a baby - so I thought I'd ask here.

1.) I asked about health benefits for reservists and was told they get all the health benefits while on active duty i.e. during Recruit Training and MOS school. He also said there was an option to be on Recruiters Assistance after completion of training to qualify as active duty (even though you're a reservist) and get the benefits. Have any of you heard of this / done this in the past?

2.) I asked if he knew anything about 0351 being phased out and who would pick up the different jobs of the 0351s (SMAW, Demo etc.) He told me he hadn't heard anything about 0351 being phased out, but you do a lot of "cross-training" when you get to your unit. Even though you are, say, an 0311, you will do some training on machine guns, mortars, and the like. I hadn't heard that either and was wondering how often the "cross-training" really occurs.

Thanks in advance.

rvillac2
04-02-09, 12:32 PM
1) You only get health benefits when on Active duty. After MOS school, you are released from active duty and have no coverage. If you are seriously injured while on drill or during your annual...

MLMonk
04-05-09, 12:13 PM
There is actually a 6month TAD for RA after MOS School, or you can go full-time active-reserve recruiter, but that will basically make you a recruiter for a long time.

If your reserve unit supports 03's, then you can just about choose which 03 you want that you qualify for. Since I am a contract 3533/3536, I have to go through 3531, 3533, 3536 in Ft Leonard Wood, MO. You will just acquire the other training during ITB.

TBRIANTIV
04-07-09, 03:11 PM
Im a reservist at Miramar 4th Tanks, As A 0621 (Radio Operator) I notice alot of cross training in our unit. Mainly Different MOS's Learning COMM. Motor T, Supply, etc... As for benefits. Your Health...

rvillac2
04-07-09, 03:42 PM
To clarify my young PFC... <br />
<br />
Coverage for an injury or medical emergency starts and stops around your drill weekends and annual training. However, don't think that you can just request to go see a...

TBRIANTIV
04-07-09, 04:42 PM
Appreciate It Sgt.

Scottie0417
04-07-09, 05:10 PM
In my drill letter every month there is always a section about the Tri-Care health plan for reservists. I think it's right around $100 a month for full medical and dental.

lavgunman
04-07-09, 05:23 PM
In my drill letter every month there is always a section about the Tri-Care health plan for reservists. I think it's right around $100 a month for full medical and dental.

If you are single. If you are married with family it will run about $800