PDA

View Full Version : How many uses for a US Gov't ballpoint pen?

MT3533
04-01-09, 04:19 PM
I saw the Apollo 11 documentary where they said that a ball point pen saved the mission so it could operate a switch.

I remembered that we had a trick to operate the heavy cable winch on a Mk 16 LVS when the control unit was broke or crapped out, by contacting 2 of the prongs with the pen clicker.

Anyone else have any of those type of tricks that they used?

sparkie
04-01-09, 04:27 PM
The barrel of a ball point pen can shoot a mean spitball,,,,, but I don't think thats what you're lookin for, is it?

Pete0331
04-01-09, 04:30 PM
I saw the Apollo 11 documentary where they said that a ball point pen saved the mission so it could operate a switch.

I remembered that we had a trick to operate the heavy cable winch on a Mk 16 LVS when the control unit was broke or crapped out, by contacting 2 of the prongs with the pen clicker.

Anyone else have any of those type of tricks that they used?

The spring works as a temporary alternative to a broken/lost feed pawl spring on a M240.

Supposedly the distal end can be used as a breathing tube after a tracheotomy has been preformed but I haven't personally seen it, nor would I recommend it.

It can always be used as an effective weapon when jabbed violently into the enemy's eye, groin, or abdomen.

MT3533
04-01-09, 04:39 PM
Any and all uses! I would never have thought you could fix a machine gun with a pen... Awesome

sparkie
04-01-09, 04:39 PM
OK,,,A real one. The boss told me to go down to Hennissy's on Friemont St, here in Vegas, take all 6 flat screen LGs off the wall, take em apart, and tweak the power ckts 'cause they were gettin old and a little grainy. I grab my ball point pen ink cartrage, break off the head of my small screwdriver, and jam it into the back. Now with a ladder, flashlight, and that flexible screwdriver I fixed them all up on the wall, saving many hours of stupid labor. There,,,,How's that?

By the way, Pete,,,, I saw that operation on MASH.

Oh, By the way, My daughter in a not so bright moment, let her boyfriend use that spring to do a little tatoo on her leg.

Marine84
04-01-09, 08:29 PM
Oh, By the way, My daughter in a not so bright moment, let her boyfriend use that spring to do a little tatoo on her leg.

Even if she's grown now - smack her upside the head for me. Twice if she asks why you did it.

sparkie
04-01-09, 08:34 PM
Thanks, Sis,,,,,,,,,BTW,,,, that tat just went away,,,,,,small scar.

temarti
04-01-09, 09:43 PM
When I worked executive protection a ballpoint pen between the ring and middle finger squeezed together will get anyone out of their chair or move around without much attention.

Haha, I wonder how many will try it on themselves, once and you will know.

Alisium
04-01-09, 11:06 PM
You can use the inkwell to unlock those pesky bathroom doors the kids love to lock.

I have others but they involve thai-*****s and probably not appropriate here.

Petz
04-02-09, 12:47 AM
the pen having it's guts removed works well for a collapsed lung... had a corpsman tell me that one.

I used one as a dowel pin stand in while working on a hmmwv...

and I used it to hold the half-shaft up while I bolted it on the diff.