PDA

View Full Version : Body art ban will help Marines in future, officials say

thedrifter
03-31-09, 09:27 AM
Body art ban will help Marines in future, officials say <br />
By Jeff Schogol, Stars and Stripes <br />
Mideast edition, Tuesday, March 31, 2009 <br />
<br />
ARLINGTON, Va. — For one former Marine, being a &quot;young...

mcvet57103
03-31-09, 09:37 PM
I can agree with that. It's an image thing. I was amazed the Corps even alowed em to begin with. I got a tattoo, but it was small and tasteful. Getting those gaudy oversized tattoos that can't be covered pretty much hamstrings a person when looking for a good job. How many Donald Trumps, or Bill Gates do you see sporting all that? SF

GSEMarine94
04-01-09, 07:42 AM
I also agree, I have two tattoos both are on my back. Tattoos are not accepted in a professional setting and those that get large, easily visible tattoos should realize that by getting them they have thrown away any possiblity of working in such an enviroment.

kentmitchell
04-01-09, 02:04 PM
One tattoo, an eagle, globe and anchor, and nothing else.
Same guys who spend all those bucks to do that sleeve thing must be the same smokers who--in Georgia anyway--now pay 40 cents per cigarette.
If you have all that money to throw away, mail it to me and I'll take care of it.

mcvet57103
04-01-09, 03:44 PM
I have one tattoo on my right forearm. It's 2 inches wide and 3 inches tall. Blurred now because years ago I distroyed it myself. It had the ex-(b)witches name on it. Knew a few that had bigger, one covered his whole back. Was an Eagle with a snake in it's talons, but when he had a shirt on, short or long sleeve, it wasn't visible. Frankly, when I see guys today with Tatoos all over their arms, neck, chest, belly, and legs, I instantly wander if they are dopers, gangsters, bikers, or any combination of the three. They might not be, but first impressions are lasting impressions. And unless, people have similar tatoos they tend to think like me.

sparkie
04-01-09, 05:00 PM
Got myself a shoulder EGA,,,, all I need, all I ever wanted.

PaidinBlood
04-01-09, 07:41 PM
I don't have anything like this but I think they are trying too hard to parent Marines. Don't get me wrong-99.9% of us are entirely too short-sighted to think past EAS or that first job we THINK we...

Marine84
04-01-09, 08:12 PM
Yeah, no $h!t. <br />
<br />
I'm all for doing what you want with/to your body too - hell I have a couple - but, I'm sorry, sleeves are tacky when in uniform. I went to a graduation at the Island a couple of...

sparkie
04-01-09, 08:36 PM
84,,,,, Knock that the fuk off,,,,,,,,,,LOL.

Alisium
04-01-09, 11:49 PM
I have no tattoos and probably won't ever get one.

The only two I would consider would be an Eagle Globe and Anchor on the shoulder or Marines across my back.

Pete0331
04-02-09, 12:17 AM
I do not have any tattoo's
I don't see this lasting.
How do tattoo's affect Marine Corps operational capability?
They don't.
Does an individuals visible tattoos' affect the ability for them to do their job effectively?
I don't believe that they do.

Now what should have happened is an mandatory annual class telling Marines of the implications any tattoo's may have on their perspective careers followed by mandatory counseling, from an appropriate member of the chain of command, prior to the Marine getting a tattoo in violation of the present policy.

We are fighting two different campaigns overseas.
There are more important topics that should be concerning HQMC.

Petz
04-02-09, 12:28 AM
to add to this... there are certain tattoos that are ok, hell I think getting your back and chest canvased are ok... but when it comes to making these visible... it's just, well, professional... we are supposed to look professional in our service uniforms no matter what.

to add some insight as to the ban's begining POV, it's inception was due to so many Marines coming back from war, getting inked up like mad and then upon re enlisting, are not able to go on recruiting duty... and at this time they were begining to force people... literally.. one Sgt had his orders to deploy with us canc'd 2 weeks before we left so he can wait for the board's decision... and yeah, he got selected.

it was tough times... but now it seems as though they are giving it other reasons to keep the ban in place.... the good news is that a MCO only has a 10 year shelf life then it's no good anymore.

so in 2015 you might be able to get a sleeve again... that is to say another commendant doesn't reinstate it/add more.

Pete0331
04-02-09, 12:33 AM
to add some insight as to the ban's begining POV, it's inception was due to so many Marines coming back from war, getting inked up like mad and then upon re enlisting, are not able to go on recruiting duty...

Dang, they know the secret plan for Marines who want to be warfighters and not careerists.

Petz
04-02-09, 12:38 AM
we gotta cop in tha ATX, hates brothas, has a big a//ss ega tat. was wif 2/3 or sum sh..it., bi///tch nevr cuts a brotha a nbrake:mad::thumbdown:thumbdown

don't call me a ***** again...

why you so racist?

Hayes
04-02-09, 04:52 AM
Its ****ing awesome how we are still judge on what we look like. This country is just finding ways to go back in time. So ****ing ignorant. We have no progress in the past 400 years. *******s. Im going to get my sleeves done as soon as i get back to Oki.. Semper ****ed

mcvet57103
04-02-09, 06:45 AM
I do not have any tattoo's
I don't see this lasting.
How do tattoo's affect Marine Corps operational capability?
They don't.
Does an individuals visible tattoos' affect the ability for them to do their job effectively?
I don't believe that they do.

Now what should have happened is an mandatory annual class telling Marines of the implications any tattoo's may have on their perspective careers followed by mandatory counseling, from an appropriate member of the chain of command, prior to the Marine getting a tattoo in violation of the present policy.

We are fighting two different campaigns overseas.
There are more important topics that should be concerning HQMC.Should this guy have been allowed? The only ones who would notice this tattoo would be Officers:

When I was in there was a private who wanted out. He got his wish when he had "fvck you" tattooed on his right hand so that when he saluted it could be clearly read. But he didn't realize it would be a BCD with time in the brig first. Wonder what ever became of that dumb-azz.:evilgrin:

Tovarish1
04-10-09, 11:58 AM
So... Tattoos ain't allowed anymore?