PDA

View Full Version : Part Two of Michelle Rieg's look at Marine Corps camp

thedrifter
03-31-09, 09:23 AM
Part Two of Michelle Rieg's look at Marine Corps camp

Posted: March 30, 2009 03:59 PM

Updated: March 30, 2009 05:33 PM

PARRIS ISLAND, SC - Some teachers from around the country, including some from the Sarasota Military Academy, recently went to training camp. ABC 7's Michelle Rieg and Assignment Manager Melissa Parker were also invited. Here's a look from behind the heavily-guarded gates of a Marine Corps Recruit Depot.

At the Marine Corps Recruit Depot on Parris Island, South Carolina, thousands of young men and woman are transformed into U.S. Marines every year. Male recruits come from east of the Mississippi River, and female recruits come from across the U.S.

It's the drill instructor's mission to mentally, physically and morally transform the recruits. "It's a tough duty. It's hard, and the impact that we have on these kids lives that come here is a very humbling experience," says Staff Sgt. Christopher Brewer.

The Marines want to share some of that experience with teachers. So ABC 7's Michelle Rieg, along with about 40 educators from Florida, recently got the chance to see up close what happens during boot camp.

"We want them to work on facts. We want them to come down here and experience what it's like to go through this training and this transition. That way, when they talk to their kids, when they talk to those high school students, they have accurate information to give them," says Sgt. Paul Robbins.

Throughout the 4-day camp, teachers got a snapshot of all three phases of group training, like an up-close look at the yellow footprints where fresh recruits are typically brought in the middle of the night. "It'll teach us how to be more forceful and get them to be how we want them to be," says Jackie Bell, instructor at the Sarasota Military Academy.

The workshop consisted of a tour of the air station, an obstacle course - where some of the brave volunteers succeeded and others did not. Teachers also got to shoot an M-16 A-2 service rifle.

And after a long day, they got the opportunity to see what happens inside the officers club, where everyone - except recruits - gets to throw empty bottles at the faces of some of America's enemies.

The recruits spend 70 days living in tight corridors, on strict diets, and learn fight skills, survival techniques and teamwork. Then it comes down to The Crucible: the 54-hour culmination of recruit training.

Instructors say it's a challenging event where recruits are food and sleep deprived. They'll travel 48 miles on foot and work through 29 problem-solving exercises. They get three meals and carry 45 extra pounds.

"It's also going to push you to any limit you've been pushed through so far, and also teamwork. And after the crucible, you will be given the title United States Marine," says Sgt. William Dycus.

The traditional motivational run precedes graduation, a chance for friends and family to watch the new Marines in formation. It's also chance for a selected group of new Marines to ring the bell of freedom.

"I am so proud of her, and I didn't think this day would ever come. I've missed her so much," says Anita Ludlam, mother of a new U.S. Marine.

"Emotional...it brought a tear to my eye. I'm choked up now, I'm so proud of her," said Bethany Jones, whose friend is a new Marine.

At graduation...known as Training Day 70, the last day on the island...more than 400 new Marines stand tall, ready to move forward on their next mission. "You see the ones that come here from Day One go through the transition, and it's a really special feeling that you had an impact like that on their lives," says Staff Sgt. Brewer.

It costs about $19,000 dollars to go through the training. In the past 2 years, they've gone from 175,000 to 202,000 active duty U.S. Marines.

Officials say the Marines are focusing much of their efforts on Afghanistan now.

video

http://www.mysuncoast.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=3600504&h1=Part%20Two%20of%20Michelle%20Rieg%27s%20look%20 at%20Marine%20Corps%20camp&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=222567&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&rnd=47852061

Ellie