PDA

View Full Version : Plans for the future

Wraith
03-30-09, 11:25 PM
Hey. Just to kick it off, I respect you guys a lot. Heroes in my book any day.

So, I'm a kiwi, living in lil old New Zealand, and I'm joining the NZ Army. But, I don't plan on staying in New Zealand much longer than my service time (4-5 years probably) and I was wondering whether having already been part of an armed forces would help me get into the Marines? Obviously I plan on moving to the States to do this. Any information would be great :thumbup:

0231Marine
03-31-09, 07:03 AM
Sorry but I'm pretty sure any military service with a foreign government isn't going to count for much. The bottom line is you'll be trained a certain way and you'll have to be broken of those tendencies and training more than an average civilian. If anything, it would count against you concerning training.

JWDevilDog
03-31-09, 07:44 AM
I have a buddy who is a Kiwi (and that is his standing nickname), who served two years as a grunt in the Kiwi Army. He is a damn good Marine and knows his job well. He is a good Marine not necessarily because of his prior service (not that it's a bad thing), but because he cares about being in the military and will always be in some sort of military.

His mother is an American, so it was easy for him to join up. He has dual-citizenship, I believe, so it didn't take any serious paperwork.

His prior service may not have helped him initially get into the Corps (he didn't need the help), but it affects how others view him. He may be a PFC, and pretty boot to the Corps, but he has been in the sh*t and knows how militaries work. We all respect him more because of his service, even though he is a nasty Kiwi bast*rd... Lol just playing.

Say hi to some prozzies for me....

Wraith
03-31-09, 01:08 PM
ok cool. It's as I thought, certain pros and cons. Oh well, at least ill be physically better off. And not to be self-promoting, but I'm like the other kiwi, always had dreams of being in the military. I don't know what it is, but I feel a strange, empathy, for soldiers, almost like a brotherhood, because everytime I see a Marine or Soldier go down it hits me, it really does. Strange huh? Oh well, thanks for your help guys!