PDA

View Full Version : July 4 Takes on New Meaning in France

Devildogg4ever
07-04-03, 07:02 AM
July 4 Takes on New Meaning in France

JULIA ZAPPEI
Associated Press

PARIS - The July 4 holiday is taking on extra meaning this year for many French, offering a chance to repair frayed ties and honor U.S. sacrifices there.

Despite differences over the Iraq war, many citizen groups and tourism promoters hope to use the occasion to point out that France has long been - and will remain - a friend of the United States.

More than in years past, France wants to provide an "extra welcome" to American visitors this year, Paris tourism officials say. An array of festivities are planned.

From offering free champagne to cooking up barbecue meals, more than 100 Paris hotels, restaurants and other establishments will reach out to American guests Friday, the Paris tourist office said.

A grass-roots initiative led by about two dozen veterans, educational and French-American groups Thursday began placing 67,500 roses on memorials and tombs to honor U.S. soldiers who fought in France in the two world wars.

"Many people - Americans and French - needed this," said one organizer, Anne-Colombe de la Taille. "We've seen the U.S.-French relationship break down, so we wish to give a strong signal about the U.S.-French friendship that has existed for such a long time."

In an open letter titled "The French have not forgotten," the groups pointed out that France was the first country to recognize an independent America, and said this year marks the 225th anniversary of a U.S.-French friendship treaty.

"It's like a family. There are conflicts, but in the end one remains a family. You stay together," said de la Taille, who once lived in the United States and whose daughter was born there.

Whether because of a weak U.S. dollar or lingering concerns about France's opposition to the U.S.-led war on Iraq, visits by Americans to Paris have plunged recently. Tourism was down nearly 25 percent in the first four months of the year compared to a year earlier, according to the capital's tourism office.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/breaking_news/6234921.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only thing I can still say, in a simple and nice way,
F**K France!!!!!!

richgitz
07-04-03, 07:11 AM
You got that right. I don't trust them Back-Stabbers. They only
interested in the Yankee dollar.:yes: :marine:

firstsgtmike
07-04-03, 07:47 AM
So the French "tourism promoters" are going against their government in their quest for yankee dollars.

"Please come back, we love you" is an echo with a hundred accents expressed by bar girls, *****s, prostitutes, table top dancers, strippers, blow job artists, hookers, exotic dancers, pimps and bar owners all over the world.

France, you're just going to have to wait in line. I've seen better liberty ports.

Sgt Sostand
07-04-03, 11:10 AM
The French what who are they do we know these people hehehehe

virwar
07-04-03, 12:05 PM
"Fair-weather friends", not this time. I haven't kept up with the local news here in Louisiana, but it's the bi-centennial year of the Louisiana Purchase. The french president was suppose to be included in the festivities but, the Governor of Louisiana dis-invited the french president when Iraqi Freedom began and the french weren't there. I laughed my azz off when I heard that news. I don't believe that "family quaral" BS, they are a dis-owned black sheep at best in my book. FVKM Semper Fi Dave