PDA

View Full Version : Current gear issue for 03s?

awkwardninja
03-30-09, 02:44 PM
I have a question for current 03s or 03s who have gotten out in the past year regarding the current issued gear for deployments. I'm an 0311 who's never deployed before and I'm getting called back from the IRR. I report in May and when I get there I'm told I won't get leave in between the time I train and when I ship out. Therefore any gear I might want to purchase on my own I have to get before I report. I see a lot of photos of Marines with dump pouches these days. Are these now issued or should I buy my own if I want one? Same question for collapsible stocks for m16 with the m203 launcher. If they're not issued and I buy my own stock will most units allow me to attach it to my weapon in place of the issued stock? I'd appreciate any other advice on gear I might want to get for myself. I do not know what unit I will be with or if I'm going to Iraq or Afghanistan. Thank you.

Apache
03-30-09, 04:02 PM
If they want you to have it they will issue it.
Sound advice from an old salt.

awkwardninja
03-30-09, 04:28 PM
Unfortunately the Marine Corps doesn't have the money or rear echelon speed to always have the gear Marines need or could be useful to them immediately. Many Marines I know bought their own body armor plates at the start of the Iraq war b/c the Corps didn't have enough to issue to all. This does not mean the Marine Corps did not want all Marines to have this gear. I'm not interested in what the Marine Corps wants me to have either way. As the old saying goes, "If the Marine Corps wanted you to have a girlfriend, they would have issued you one." Well I enjoy my girlfriend and don't really care if the Marine Corps wants me to have her or not. Thank you for your input, but from now on I'd appreciate if people only reply if they are 03s who are still in the corps or who got out in the past year since gear issue is constantly evolving.

PaidinBlood
03-30-09, 06:38 PM
Unfortunately the Marine Corps doesn't have the money or rear echelon speed to always have the gear Marines need or could be useful to them immediately. Many Marines I know bought their own body armor plates at the start of the Iraq war b/c the Corps didn't have enough to issue to all. This does not mean the Marine Corps did not want all Marines to have this gear. I'm not interested in what the Marine Corps wants me to have either way. As the old saying goes, "If the Marine Corps wanted you to have a girlfriend, they would have issued you one." Well I enjoy my girlfriend and don't really care if the Marine Corps wants me to have her or not. Thank you for your input, but from now on I'd appreciate if people only reply if they are 03s who are still in the corps or who got out in the past year since gear issue is constantly evolving.

0351 here and I say the old salt was fvcking right. If you really are being recalled you better snap to and start listening. 2 ears 1 mouth and whatnot. Not trying to dog you but you know you are walking back into a different world now. As for your questions, wait til you get to your command. First trip, 3/5 was reasonably cool about personalizing gear but privately purchased armor was a no-no (with the exception of plate carriers or MICH helmets for a few high speed groups). Second trip options to personalize were almost nil. Don't plan on putting anything more than a sissy charging handle on your rifle either. Most optics and what not are off limits. This will all depend on your unit. Don't get sideways with me either...just trying to help you out. Good luck and happy hunting.

PaidinBlood
03-30-09, 06:40 PM
Not sure where you'll be going to, but generally, the smaller the group the more options. PTT/MTT teams had much more latitude. Proximity to the flagpole is a crap shoot. If you're far enough out in the boonies you can get away with murder, but then again sometimes the King's entourage were walking Blackhawk ads. Safest rule of thumb is that the interference from above varies inversely with the volume of incoming fire. When your pecker's in the oven the real pricks stay home.

Alisium
03-30-09, 07:00 PM
0351 here and I say the old salt was fvcking right. If you really are being recalled you better snap to and start listening. 2 ears 1 mouth and whatnot. Not trying to dog you but you know you are walking back into a different world now. As for your questions, wait til you get to your command. First trip, 3/5 was reasonably cool about personalizing gear but privately purchased armor was a no-no (with the exception of plate carriers or MICH helmets for a few high speed groups). Second trip options to personalize were almost nil. Don't plan on putting anything more than a sissy charging handle on your rifle either. Most optics and what not are off limits. This will all depend on your unit. Don't get sideways with me either...just trying to help you out. Good luck and happy hunting.

Agreed,

Gear is expspensive! I wouldn't waste any money on gear until you get to you knew unit and find out what their attitudes of personalization are. Towards the end of my time with 1/4 we weren't even allowed to vary how we wore our stuff, much less buy our own.

And maybe it was the reserves but, when I was with 4LAR only the bootest of the boots wore any issued gear.

Protect your wallet!

SF and good luck on the new trip.
:flag:

marine3043
03-30-09, 07:42 PM
buy the longest knife you can find ---thats al lyou need

PaidinBlood
03-30-09, 07:46 PM
Oh yeah man...saw plenty of knife fights in Fallujah...they're all the rage...:D

awkwardninja
03-30-09, 08:27 PM
I am told the unit I will be going to will have been given its predeployment leave before I report so I'm not supposed to expect any leave when I'm there. So as I said in my first post I need to buy any gear I might want before I report May 18. From what some of you have said it looks like if I think I might want gear and am not worried about my wallet (I'm in the IRR, meaning I have a civilian job with civilian pay) my best bet is to buy it and the worst that could happen is my command won't allow me to use it. I'd still like to hear from someone who is currently in the Corps who knows if the dump pouches or collapsible stocks are being issued (I see them in a lot of recent photos of Marines oversees) so I don't end up buying something I'm going to be issued anyway. Yes, I realize I just said I don't mind forking the money, but it just seems like more of a waste to buy something I'm going to be issued rather than something I can't use. I guess it's the difference between being underprepared and underknowledged. If anyone can answer the questions of whether or not they're currently issued I appreciate it. Otherwise, thanks for the advice from those of you who answered my question rather than just gripe about me asking it.

Quinbo
03-30-09, 08:43 PM
Not currently active and never been to Iraq but I can tell you from and 03's perspective that if you go buy a bunch of cool new gadgets and are allowed to use them .... you are gonna have to not only find a way to cram them in your sea bag but also hump that crap when you get there. Nothing is grunt proof .. nothing. You go buy a cool new toy to take to the front lines and it will either be lost or broken in the first week and guess what... Supply isn't gonna fix or replace your personal crap. If there is something really cool that you just have to have then have your girlfriend mail it to you after you get there.

PaidinBlood
03-30-09, 08:44 PM
Hey azzclown-what part of WE CAN'T TELL YOU do you not get? Even in my Bn no 2 Marines had the same issue. Yes, Coyote CSM dump pouches are IN the supply system but not EVERYONE had them! I ain't fvcking griping but I'm tryin to tell you I don't know the Commandant's shoe size either. Since you're hell bent on checking in as some clusterFvcked gear queer then go for it. Buy the whole magazine, the whole Fvcking warehouse. That way no matter what you are prepared. What unit you going to? They make SAPIs for damn near every square inch of your body, and don't forget top of the line EOTECH sights and Mamba combat slings. drop holster for the 9 mil that you WONT get and maybe a wicked cool kbar for your other leg.

What a mook..

http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/9/m/simp_TheMook_Mobsters_v2f.jpg

PaidinBlood
03-30-09, 08:47 PM
http://images.elfwood.com/art/o/r/orgun246/armourguy_wip.jpg

thewookie
03-30-09, 08:58 PM
This guy is a gear queer.

Pete0331
03-31-09, 08:25 AM
d oyou still get as/packs? those were good s>it!

Nope, day packs are used instead.

There is nothing wrong with being a gear queer.

thewookie
03-31-09, 09:09 AM
Carrying too much equipment can be as deadly as enemy bullets.

Read, Mobility Of A Nation By Colonel SLA Marshall. One of SLA Marshall's hypothesis' is that to often during WW2 soldiers were overloaded with equipment. This overloading of soldiers who were under the stress of combat wore them down even more and caused casualties. I believe the Army's New Land Warrior Gear concept trying to be fielded is great, but one of the main criteria should be the weight of the system and the total weight that a soldier has to carry.

Ease of maintenance is also critical, the average G.I. can break about anything break proof, and trying to fix something is harder than anyone wants to admit when you're out there. For the infantryman relative mobility is crucial in the close fight and their lives depend upon being able to move, shoot, communicate, and sustain themselves.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090310/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/marines_lighter_loads

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4215715.html

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/03/army_soldierload_032309w/

Richman
03-31-09, 09:19 AM
This guy is a gear queer.

More like a "geardo".

awkwardninja
03-31-09, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I guess I've always been a bit of gear queer. And paidinblood, that thank you was directed at you too, I did find your post useful despite the underlying hostility. Same goes for the second post. The part I didn't understand about "we don't know" was the part where you didn't say it straight out. Your second post was useful as well, that was the direct answer I've been looking for - that the dump pouches are in the supply system, but they are not Corps-wide so only some units will get them. Apparently you do know. And yeah, I have no shame looking for gear. I don't any combat experience, but even in the limited training time I've had it's obvious that having a collapsible stock is very beneficial when searching a house or when you are inside a vehicle. So no, I'm not ashamed at not being satisfied with the gear issued to me. If I can spend $60 on a collapsible butt stock or any other piece of gear that will help me do my job better, then I will. And wookie, a collapsible stock wouldn't weight me down, it would decrease the weight I'd be carrying. A dump pouch has positives and negatives, but I'd rather run around with my empty mags in a dump pouch than have them bang against my knee inside my cargo pocket. The gear I asked about is likely to have the opposite effect as you think it will.

thewookie
03-31-09, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I guess I've always been a bit of gear queer. And paidinblood, that thank you was directed at you too, I did find your post useful despite the underlying hostility. Same goes for the second post. The part I didn't understand about "we don't know" was the part where you didn't say it straight out. Your second post was useful as well, that was the direct answer I've been looking for - that the dump pouches are in the supply system, but they are not Corps-wide so only some units will get them. Apparently you do know. And yeah, I have no shame looking for gear. I don't any combat experience, but even in the limited training time I've had it's obvious that having a collapsible stock is very beneficial when searching a house or when you are inside a vehicle. So no, I'm not ashamed at not being satisfied with the gear issued to me. If I can spend $60 on a collapsible butt stock or any other piece of gear that will help me do my job better, then I will. And wookie, a collapsible stock wouldn't weight me down, it would decrease the weight I'd be carrying. A dump pouch has positives and negatives, but I'd rather run around with my empty mags in a dump pouch than have them bang against my knee inside my cargo pocket. The gear I asked about is likely to have the opposite effect as you think it will.

No problem Marine, I'm just being a pain in the azz because I like to.

You are right a collapsible won't weigh you down, but make sure you get a good one. I was involved in testing the M-4's when they were being considered for the CQB role for various units in the Marine Corps, back in 1998. And we had some issues with the various stocks we tested on those sub-guns. I'm sure they have worked out the kinks, but nothing focks up a tight shooting position like a stock that won't stay stuck.

Good luck Marine. Good gear is important, but don't let your love of gear hurt or influence your tactics too much. I've always felt that's what separates the Marines from,, say the SEALs, or one of the things - we have always been known to get the job done and make the most with the least amount of gear or special gizmo's. Keep it real.

Semper Fi

Pete0331
03-31-09, 05:46 PM
And wookie, a collapsible stock wouldn't weight me down, it would decrease the weight I'd be carrying. A dump pouch has positives and negatives, but I'd rather run around with my empty mags in a dump pouch than have them bang against my knee inside my cargo pocket. The gear I asked about is likely to have the opposite effect as you think it will.

Weapon modification isn't something you should do without finding out the stance of your Command.
I've seen it all.
Guys with personally owned upper receivers on their issued lower.
Different pistol grip.
Different bolt and bolt carrier assemblies.

Some commands don't care, others will freak out if you take the buttstock off an A4 for cleaning.
It's something you have to feel out before you try something.

I'm all for Marines taking the initiative and spend their own money on better gear for themselves.
However, it shouldn't not be do for the sole purpose of looking high speed.
It should be for making their job easier.

Having gear for the sake of having it is stupid.
With all the crap we carry, something doesn't need to be there unless it serves a purpose.

Drop pouches are great tools for site exploitation bags as well.

If you need help finding gear shoot me a PM.

Pete

PaidinBlood
03-31-09, 05:55 PM
Ninja...glad you found some good in there somewhere-that was all that was intended. The new dump pouches are actually pretty good gear-one of those few things where someone actually listened to us. From the formed opening to stay open to the drawstring sphincter like cover to the velcro and roll up. Can't compete with the venerable poncho liner (a gift straight from Chesty to every cold miserable infantryman ever to pack a gun) but it is nice. I was always a fan of stock mag pouches but that's just me... Have fun and keep your head down. SF

awkwardninja
03-31-09, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, got what I was looking for.

BR34
03-31-09, 08:12 PM

You were with 3/5? Do you know a N. Dufriend? He was with Comm in 3/5 a couple years back.

PaidinBlood
03-31-09, 08:35 PM
You were with 3/5? Do you know a N. Dufriend? He was with Comm in 3/5 a couple years back.

Yes....No...Didn't meet too many from the Hot dog & Soda Company...:D

I was there from fall 05 to summer 08

HurricaneRJ
04-01-09, 06:05 AM
The Marine Corps is steadily trying to improve it's warrior image. In my battalion anything that is "eccentric" cannot be used. But you can buy gear that you like. For instance, NVG carriers, Pistol holsters etc... The basic **** that we have don't cut it.

I was issued everything in coyote brown, I just went and bought the same gear in black.
My ESS goggles are black, Saw Pouches, Magazines pouches, camelbak. It's just me. I'm the only one in my platoon with a black beenie. I like looking pretty while manning ECPs

PaidinBlood
04-01-09, 07:38 AM
You know how hard I had to try to get ALMOST everything in coyote for my 2nd trip? We looked like a bunch of raggedy azz jundis out there.

Pete0331
04-01-09, 09:07 AM
The Marine Corps is steadily trying to improve it's warrior image. In my battalion anything that is "eccentric" cannot be used. But you can buy gear that you like. For instance, NVG carriers, Pistol holsters etc... The basic **** that we have don't cut it.

I was issued everything in coyote brown, I just went and bought the same gear in black.
My ESS goggles are black, Saw Pouches, Magazines pouches, camelbak. It's just me. I'm the only one in my platoon with a black beenie. I like looking pretty while manning ECPs

I guess camouflage isn't a priority.

ssgtblue
04-01-09, 09:57 AM
Ok- Good grear to have.

1. A good day Pack that is work a Chit !
2. If you can get away with it- A Good Chest Rig from BDS= More Stuff right were you need it.
3. A helment padding system from Orgen Aero= No headach and is much better than the the one the MC spent money on... What are Joke they are...
4th and lastley- A Mid dollar GPS unit, for a quick 8 diget grid to call for fire in a hurry.

These were some of the things that made life a little better for us in Afghanistan, when there was not a thing around at all and little support. Oh, and one last thing More Ammo and Exstra Mags from the armory because they are crap so it is a good idea to rotate them out, to let the springs rest so you will not get a malfunction.

That is my take- Ask the unit if they are getting Plat Carriers also because the MTV Vest Sucks big C O C K.....

SSgt Blue

HurricaneRJ
04-01-09, 10:08 AM
I'm not ricky recon, I'm a pouge.:p

Alisium
04-01-09, 10:46 AM

Agreed. Black is a target indicator too.

HurricaneRJ
04-01-09, 11:05 AM
Black is a target indicator, but I am flexible. I have all my coyote brown gear, but's lets be resonable here. There is no such perfect camoflauge in an urban environment. The enemy knows when we leave the wire. Hell, since we got here, they just now started to shoot rockets at our ECPs.

I'm pretty sure, my black gear is going to make me stand out even more or less. Hell, my skin color gives me away and the big weapon I lug around ain't going to help either. Let's also think of this fact, think CB works in the woods??? It doesn't. My TAN ESS goggles, got me spotted so much during Ft. Pickett that we had to wrap a black sock over so we wouldn't be seen.

thewookie
04-01-09, 11:41 AM
Is black a target indicator at night?

Pete0331
04-01-09, 12:09 PM
Ok- Good grear to have.

1. A good day Pack that is work a Chit !
2. If you can get away with it- A Good Chest Rig from BDS= More Stuff right were you need it.
3. A helment padding system from Orgen Aero= No headach and is much better than the the one the MC spent money on... What are Joke they are...
4th and lastley- A Mid dollar GPS unit, for a quick 8 diget grid to call for fire in a hurry.

These were some of the things that made life a little better for us in Afghanistan, when there was not a thing around at all and little support. Oh, and one last thing More Ammo and Exstra Mags from the armory because they are crap so it is a good idea to rotate them out, to let the springs rest so you will not get a malfunction.

That is my take- Ask the unit if they are getting Plat Carriers also because the MTV Vest Sucks big C O C K.....

SSgt Blue

I would stay away from BDS.
They are the supplier of military issue gear.
Lowest bidder.

You can get a decent day pack for $100.
Any less then that and I wouldn't trust the quality.
Expect to pay $200 to $300 for a good one.

Mystery Ranch makes a day pack designed to be worn on top of SAPI plates that's worth its weight in gold.

Oregon Aero is a good company and makes a good system.
Worth the $100 if you don't have the opportunity to buy a MICH/ACH helmet.

I used and a Garmin eTrex that I picked up for $150 refurbished.
If I were to do it again I would get one of the wrist worn models.

If you can get them, buy Magpul PMags.
They are around $18 a piece.
Other companies make polymer mags (Lancer, TangoDown) but Magpuls' are better.
If you can't, get their rebuild kits for the USGI mags.

Stay away from Blackhawk gear (BHI).
It's substandard and made in Viet Nam.

There is an MCO that authorizes the use of other body armor, but your command can be stingy about stuff like that.

Eagle Industries, Diamondback Tactical, Tactical Assault Gear (TAG), Tactical Tailor, High Speed Gear Industries (HSGI), Emdom USA, and Triple Aught Design (TAD) Gear are all companies I will suggest without reservation.

Pete0331
04-01-09, 12:12 PM
Black is a target indicator, but I am flexible. I have all my coyote brown gear, but's lets be resonable here. There is no such perfect camoflauge in an urban environment. The enemy knows when we leave the wire. Hell, since we got here, they just now started to shoot rockets at our ECPs.

I'm pretty sure, my black gear is going to make me stand out even more or less. Hell, my skin color gives me away and the big weapon I lug around ain't going to help either. Let's also think of this fact, think CB works in the woods??? It doesn't. My TAN ESS goggles, got me spotted so much during Ft. Pickett that we had to wrap a black sock over so we wouldn't be seen.

No accuse to forget camouflage.

Your Tan ESS goggles got you spotted from the glare reflected from the lenses.

POG mistakes.

Alisium
04-01-09, 12:18 PM
Is black a target indicator at night?

I mean, yeah, cause the Marine Corps shuts down during the day.

I might just be a matter of preference. I wouldn't let my Marines clad themselves in black, especially on the grape and especially if they were anywhere near me. And there are plenty of people who don't care, that's just one of my pep's. I want every chance I can get.

If it's all you have, it's all you have but, I would never choose wear it, to look like Lorenzo Llamas on dinosaur island.

HurricaneRJ
04-01-09, 12:18 PM
No accuse to forget camouflage.

Your Tan ESS goggles got you spotted from the glare reflected from the lenses.

POG mistakes.

True enough the glare comes from the lenses, from me being in the LP/OP position in the day time. the STA snipers sent in over the radio that they spotted us by the TAN goggles differing from the trees and leaves, but my PltSgt is old school. We were wrapping black elec. tape around are BFA's so they wouldn't make noise or look out of place. Silencing all of are gear, and course the whole platoon went to CIF to get new of everything that was broken.

I like black for some reason, call me color struck or what. If i was in the desert one day and then in the jungle the next, I'm pretty sure black would do me best in both environment.

Pete0331
04-01-09, 12:27 PM
True enough the glare comes from the lenses, from me being in the LP/OP position in the day time. the STA snipers sent in over the radio that they spotted us by the TAN goggles differing from the trees and leaves, but my PltSgt is old school. We were wrapping black elec. tape around are BFA's so they wouldn't make noise or look out of place. Silencing all of are gear, and course the whole platoon went to CIF to get new of everything that was broken.

I like black for some reason, call me color struck or what. If i was in the desert one day and then in the jungle the next, I'm pretty sure black would do me best in both environment.

Brown works wonders.
Training for CENTCOM ops in the green forests is bad.
BFA's are supposed to be red/orange.
Training to overcome elements only present in training is bad.

You know one of the reasons Marines have brown boots now right?
The enemy in Viet Nam would look for black boots in the underbrush because it stood out.

Alisium
04-01-09, 12:36 PM
Black isn't a color regularly found in nature. And you pick that up pretty quickly. Sure, there are shadows but, there's a difference between a shadow and a large solid black shape. Think about it, Earth tones are variations of brown and green and no blacks or grays. You won't be fighting in Prague where there's lots of black but sandy brown SW Asia.

The black in your woodland MarPat helps break up your shape and create the "shadow" effect but, once you start adding larger black squares, cubes, rectangles, cylinders and so forth that all stands out.

Pete0331
04-01-09, 12:38 PM
Black isn't a color regularly found in nature. And you pick that up pretty quickly. Sure, there are shadows but, there's a difference between a shadow and a large solid black shape. Think about it, Earth tones are variations of brown and green and no blacks or grays. You won't be fighting in Prague where there's lots of black but sandy brown SW Asia.

The black in your woodland MarPat helps break up your shape and create the "shadow" effect but, once you start adding larger black squares, cubes, rectangles, cylinders and so forth that all stands out.

Size
Shape
Shine

... I know I'm forgetting one...

Alisium
04-01-09, 12:42 PM
Smell??

I don't remember.

thewookie
04-01-09, 02:11 PM
Size
Shape
Shine

... I know I'm forgetting one...

I think it's silhouette if you are referencing the 7 rules of camo...

1. Shape
2. Size
3. Sound
4. Silhouette
5. Color
6. Pattern
7. Movement

Chumley
04-01-09, 02:25 PM
Brown works wonders.
Training for CENTCOM ops in the green forests is bad.
BFA's are supposed to be red/orange.
Training to overcome elements only present in training is bad.

You know one of the reasons Marines have brown boots now right?
The enemy in Viet Nam would look for black boots in the underbrush because it stood out.

Your current boot color is cooler than black in the heat of the desert sun.
SFi
C

Alisium
04-01-09, 02:36 PM
There are a lot of good reasons for the brown suede.

They used to make us polish our boots up before going out to the field. By the end of the day there were a form of brown suede... and then we'd have to re-polish that night.

This from the same guy who'd make us do civil war style attacks on the Mech Assault Course.

Apache
04-01-09, 03:48 PM
You got a real attitude pup.
0321 I'll let you wounder what that is.

Hope you buy all the gear you see and then have to ****can it.

Maybe the lights will go on ??

awkwardninja
04-01-09, 06:33 PM
Pete - do you have a link to the mystery ranch pack designed to fit over SAPI plates? I checked out the site and wasn't able to figure out which one you were talking about.

Pete0331
04-01-09, 06:40 PM
Pete - do you have a link to the mystery ranch pack designed to fit over SAPI plates? I checked out the site and wasn't able to figure out which one you were talking about.

Just checked the website.
It's not working/not showing what I'm talking about

Its called the "BVS" system.

It's also possible that they are on back log from military orders.