PDA

View Full Version : Rescued POW honored at his old high school in Chesapeake

thedrifter
07-04-03, 06:37 AM
Rescued POW honored at his old high school in Chesapeake
By ADRIENNE SCHWISOW, Associated Press
© July 3, 2003 | Last updated 1:44 PM Jul. 3

CHESAPEAKE -- David S. Williams still has nightmares. He flinches at popping balloons and screaming jets and worries about the other men and women captured with him during the recent war in Iraq.

On the other hand, he now appreciates freedom in a way most people cannot imagine. He is reminded daily that he never wants to be separated from his wife and children again, and he delights in something as simple as a smile.

And he knows what he's made of.

``Faith was the biggest thing,'' the former prisoner of war said Thursday at a reception at Great Bridge High School, where he graduated in 1991. ``I never lost faith in my God or in my fellow soldiers and the American military.''

Williams, 30, an Army chief warrant officer from Copperas Cove, Texas, was captured March 23 after his Apache helicopter was shot down in Iraq.

He recounted the moment three weeks later when he heard the American armored vehicle that would bring him freedom.

``I could not control my emotions,'' Williams said.

He broke away from his captors and ran to the top of the building. He was dirty, bearded and clad in yellow pajamas, and his American liberators didn't know who he was until Iraqi guards began holding him back.

``Words can't express what went through my mind,'' he said.

Since his return with the six other POWs, Williams has spent considerable time worrying about them. As the senior officer in the group, he had the job in captivity and afterwards of forming a fellowship among the soldiers and seeing that they were cared for. He keeps in touch with them daily and had what he called separation anxiety when they all split up after arriving in Texas on April 19.

``I love those kids with all my heart and forever will be in touch,'' said Williams, who is stationed at Fort Hood.

Williams has asked his commanding officers to send him back to Iraq to help finish the job.

``I tell my wife every day ... if there's people fighting, dying, I've got to be there,'' he said.

His commanding officers have told Williams no.

Williams was born in West Palm Beach, Fla., and moved to Chesapeake with his family in 1981. He left for the Army the day after graduation 10 years later. His mother, Pam Thacker, still lives in Chesapeake.

His wife, Michelle, also is a helicopter pilot in the Army. She dabbed her eyes several times as Williams spoke to reporters after Thursday's gathering. She recalled how tough the ordeal was for her.

``I had two kids to keep me from thinking about it during the day,'' she said. ``Night was the hardest. I was alone and I fell asleep to the news every night, waiting to hear some word about the POWs.''

Chesapeake Mayor William E. Ward praised Williams as a ``true American hero, one who has exemplified the highest American traits, ideals and values.''

Williams sees himself differently.

``I don't consider myself a hero,'' he said. ``This is my pleasure, doing what I do in the Army.''

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=56440&ran=61959

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: