PDA

View Full Version : Do you think my plan will work out?

Jscorn09
03-29-09, 12:24 PM
Hello my name is Joseph Corn and I'm leaving for Boot in a couple of months 18 years old. Im and Eagle Scout, got around 15 hrs college credit great physical condition. I would like to hear your opinion on my plan to eventually get into flight training. First, my MOS that I signed for was AJ (UAV Operator) for 5 years active 3 reserve (because of the training length). I plan on finishing a bachelors degree in this time period. Is this out of the question? I am very determined and focused so if it is up to me I will do it, however I still worry that I not have enough time to complete college in my first enlistment? Then after words I want to apply For OCC or OCS. I heard OCC is a guaranteed flight school rout. I like the idea of earning everything my self but getting a guarantee would be nice. Will I be able to get into OCC or is it only available to civilians? I appreciate any help you can give me Preferably someone who has done something like this like a Mustang. Thank you!

LaResistance
03-29-09, 11:00 PM
Why don't you just finish college?

TTX
03-30-09, 01:46 AM
The only chance for you to finish your college is to go reserve and then OCS. I had never seen any Marine finished college during his/her 1st enlistment.

You are only 18 and you still have time. You will be 22 after 4 yrs active, and then you will be 26 when you finish your college, and if you will go with your plan. You can also go reserve while attending college. Keep in mind, college now days will take you 5 yrs to complete your 4 years degree, unless you will take 18-20 credit hrs per semester, and it is going to be a killer!

Jscorn09
03-30-09, 08:48 PM
Well thats a good point. I was just thinking I could get college finished during the first enlistment. I like the idea of doing it this way instead of NROTC or paying for college myself. I want to be enlisted but also I want to be an officer. I may decide to stay enlisted but right now I am very determined to accomplish all my goals mainly to fly. I could have done it the easy way through the army but it just didn't feel right to me. Thank you Ssgt. TTX.

Jscorn09
03-30-09, 08:50 PM
Oh and Lance Corporal. thank you also.

JWDevilDog
03-30-09, 09:48 PM
Hello my name is Joseph Corn and I'm leaving for Boot in a couple of months 18 years old. Im and Eagle Scout, got around 15 hrs college credit great physical condition. I would like to hear your opinion on my plan to eventually get into flight training. First, my MOS that I signed for was AJ (UAV Operator) for 5 years active 3 reserve (because of the training length). I plan on finishing a bachelors degree in this time period. Is this out of the question? I am very determined and focused so if it is up to me I will do it, however I still worry that I not have enough time to complete college in my first enlistment? Then after words I want to apply For OCC or OCS. I heard OCC is a guaranteed flight school rout. I like the idea of earning everything my self but getting a guarantee would be nice. Will I be able to get into OCC or is it only available to civilians? I appreciate any help you can give me Preferably someone who has done something like this like a Mustang. Thank you!

Nothing is guaranteed in the Marine Corps.

Ok, here's how it works. If you finish college and in the summer go through OCS, once you receive your commission you will pick one of three fields: ground, air, and law. Ground can be anything from a motor T officer to a grunt. Air, well you fly. In air, you don't get the option of what aircraft you fly, but you fly. In law you are a lawyer, a JAG.

As far as I understand, even if you pick the field you want, you are not even guaranteed that. If you pick air, for example, the Corps might put you in ground because they might need more Logistics officers, or something like that.

Now, as it was already said, you don't have a great shot of finishing your degree in your first enlistment. Although, it won't be as long as others are thinking because you will receive some college credit for your MOS schooling (especially since yours is so long), so that in itself takes out some of the credits you would have to complete. However, I still doubt you could finish a bachelor's degree in four years. It is approximately 120 college credit hours to finish a degree. You have 15. That's one semester worth of hours, out of a minimum of 8 semesters, going to college full-time. In the military, yes you can take classes, but the most dedicated student Marines I know only take 2-3 per semester. Normally full time students take 5 or more classes per semester.

On the other hand, sometimes the Corps will send you to college, on orders, to finish your degree. However, I have only heard of this happening for Staff NCOs who were interested in an officer's commission. You would not be a SNCO after one enlistment. Maybe after two, depending on your MOS.

If you really do want to be enlisted first (which I encourage), then you basically have two options:

First, choose a different MOS, with a much shorter school, and do the 92 day reservists program, where you go to boot camp in the summer and back to school after your training. You would be a Marine, but you would be a reservist.

Your other option is to basically make the Corps a career, and finish your degree in your first two enlistments. Upon completion of your degree while on active duty, you can then try for your officer's commission.

Or you can throw the mustang route out the window and finish college now. Yes, mustangs are more respected among the enlisted Marines, but a shaved-tail is still a Marine.

Jscorn09
03-30-09, 10:33 PM
If you really do want to be enlisted first (which I encourage), then you basically have two options:

First, choose a different MOS, with a much shorter school, and do the 92 day reservists program, where you go to boot camp in the summer and back to school after your training. You would be a Marine, but you would be a reservist.

Your other option is to basically make the Corps a career, and finish your degree in your first two enlistments. Upon completion of your degree while on active duty, you can then try for your officer's commission.

Or you can throw the mustang route out the window and finish college now. Yes, mustangs are more respected among the enlisted Marines, but a shaved-tail is still a Marine.

You also make some good points Lance Corporal. I am 99.9% sure Im going enlisted First. Your first option sounds interesting but I don't want to loose the MOS I have now and I've never heard of the 92 day reserve program. Option 2 is more what I was thinking I would do, in the meant time I would apply for MECEP. I realize its highly competitive and with 24 ACT and 75 AQFT I most likely wont get selected. But Im determined enough I believe I can accomplish my goal if I try my best.

JWDevilDog
03-30-09, 11:08 PM
Basically in the 92 day reservists program you go to boot camp your first summer. Return home in the fall and go back to school, while reporting for duty once a month (just like any other reservist). The second summer is when you go to MCT and your MOS school (or, if you are infantry, you just go straight to SOI, which is both your combat training and your MOS schooling). Obviously, since MCT is one month long, your MOS school would have to fit into the remaining months of that summer so that you can go back to school in the fall. The exception to this is if you do choose an MOS that has long-ish schooling, you could take a semester or two off of college.

That's pretty much the gist of how it works.

Yes, MECEP is competitive. But if you prove yourself to be a stellar Marine, it isn't a problem. However, there are requirements for scores to get into MECEP. I don't remember what they are off hand, but they deal with a minimum ASVAB and/or ACT score. A quick google search on your part would probably tell you what you need to know. Hell, it's probably on this site somewhere too. I will tell ya that if your scores aren't good enough to get into MECEP, you can go through the BOOST program, which is basically a continuing education program that helps to boost your scores, if you need help in certain areas. But I think your scores are fine, if I remember correctly.

Jscorn09
03-31-09, 03:16 PM
Ok I appreciate all your help. I just got a little worried that I might have bitten off more than I could chew. But I have enough confidence now to see it all through. Thanks