PDA

View Full Version : 'Fair winds and following seas' Air station CO retires after 30 years of faithful ser

thedrifter
03-29-09, 03:52 AM
'Fair winds and following seas' Air station CO retires after 30 years of faithful service

3/27/2009 By Cpl. Melissa Tugwell , Marine Corps Air Station Miramar

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif. — Since Aug. 11, 2006, when Col. Christopher E. O’Connor first took command of Marine Corps Air Station Miramar from Col. Paul C. Christian, the air station has completely turned a new chapter.

As the CH-53E “Super Stallion” pilot hangs up his flight suit and relinquishes command to Col. David C. Myers April 2, he proudly looks back throughout his career as well as the accomplishments made as commanding officer of the air station.

O’Connor has remained steady on a path he set in 2006 to provide world-class facilities and support to all tenant organizations.

“I’ve taken an awful lot of pride in that Miramar will dare to be different,” said O’Connor. “I am most proud of the fact that operational and service support excellence is the way we do business here.”

“Every decision he makes regarding the station is important to him,” explained 1st Lt. Lacey Stevens, the adjutant for the air station.

He’s precise and thorough while working hand-in-hand with subject matter experts to ensure that every decision is well informed and in the best interest of the air station, she explained.

“Col. O’Connor is essentially the mayor of a small city of more than 10,000 Marines, sailors and family members,” said Sherry Pender, the station S-1 deputy. “He has been a visionary and hands on leader in every respect, from crisis management during the wildfires and this year’s mishap, to support for the war fighters as they deployed and returned, to everyday issues like paying Marines and fixing sidewalks.”

“His leadership is the driving force behind all of the success we have had at the station in support of our tenant organizations and visiting detachments,” said Lt. Col. Steven R. Cusumano, the executive officer of the air station.

O’Connor pays close attention to each detail while making sure his signature on any document represents the best the air station can do, explained Stevens.

“The thing I’m going to remember most about being the CO for the air station is being able to do things for Marines and improving the quality of life here,” said O’Connor.

His concern for service members and their families influenced his accomplishments of providing them with many new and refurbished facilities throughout his time here; the Carlos Hathcock Range, Installation Personnel Assistance Center, The Hub, Infant and Toddler Center, additions to the Marine Corps Exchange making it the largest in the Corps, the reclaimed water distribution project nicknamed “purple pipes”, refurbishing of the runway, Burgess Hall– the provost marshal’s office facility, new vehicle storage lot, veterinary clinic, paintball arena, golf course clubhouse and more.

His first air show brought more than 620,000 visitors here. The air show in 2007 was deemed “Best air show” by the International Council of Air Shows and his last air show in 2008 drew in a record number of more than 750,000 spectators.

Along with improving the facilities here, he also received many awards and recognition through economical improvements.

Over the past two years, the air station won several awards under his command: Secretary of the Navy Energy Award, Best Military Air Show, ‘20-Gallon Challenge’ for saving more than 29 million gallons of water, Navy and Marine Corps Platinum Energy Award, the 2008 Federal Energy and Water Management Award, San Diego Archeological Center 2008 Excellence in Archaeology Award and the 2008 Presidential Award for Leadership and Federal Energy Management.

“For 30 years, I got to live out my boyhood dream of being a Marine and following the footsteps of my father and my high school football coach,” said O’Connor.

With well-earned retirement approaching, he expressed his gratitude for having the chance to lead Marines and give them what they deserve.

“The opportunity to command Marines is something absolutely special and getting this opportunity was the culmination of my career,” he said.

As he makes his ‘bittersweet’ exit out of the Marine Corps, he looks forward to a relaxing retirement and returning to his family on the East Coast.

Ellie