PDA

View Full Version : 1300 MOS college schooling

JonH
03-29-09, 12:24 AM
Hey first post, so here goes.
My contract is for 13xx but I'm kind of hoping to get Combat Engineer specifically. I realize that there are a bunch of threads about this field and MOS but I've never seen anyone ask my question.

I was wondering if in this field/MOS I'd have much time to go to school and get a degree. If I don't stay in the Corps. I'd like to have something to offer the professional world when/ if I leave. Frankly I'd like to be a Firefighter when I get out (Fire and Crash rescue was my first MOS choice but I didn't get it, 1371 was my second.) God forbid something were to happen to me, or NYC wouldn't be having any Firefighter exams going or something, I'd like to be an English teacher instead as a backup.

Another question I have is about swim qualifications. I searched for it but About.com doesn't say anything about engineers needing to qualify, but I heard that you do. Can anyone clear this up for me? How difficult is swim qualification? I just taught myself how to swim over the summer in hopes of becoming a Marine and I am fairly comfortable in the water, but I haven't been in the water much since around December(school closed the pool for renovations:mad:), will I have a hard time qualifying?

Thanks in advance, and if I was disrespectful, or am lacking in any way please feel free to let me know so I can square myself away immediately.

jungholee90
03-29-09, 01:20 AM
Welcome Aboard, poolee.
Swim qual is not hard at all. That's a good initiative you learned how to swim. It shouldn't be a problem. If you can't swim, they will teach you how to.

TTX
03-29-09, 05:00 AM
It was same with me and I ended up with 1341 Engineer Equip. Mechanic and I enjoyed it. They didn't give me my specific MOS until end of MCT.

JonH
03-29-09, 04:57 PM
What about school? Will I have much time to get a College degree while working in this field? Also, what specifically entails swim qualification for the level I need to be qualified as an Engineer?

TTX
03-30-09, 01:23 AM
For 1341 and 1345 MOS school is roughly about 3 months long at Ft. Leneord Wood, MS. about 2 hrs from St. Louis. They used to be at Camp Lejuene.

For 1371 MOS and Electrician (MOS?) I believe they are still at Court House Bay, Camp Lejuene, and they are also about 3 months long.

The probability of you going to school in the Marine Corps is going to be small, and also depending on where you will be station. I had the opportunity to take some classes from Un. of Maryland where I was stationing 3 yrs on Okinawa, and those classes were transfered to my Texas University.

JonH
03-30-09, 11:00 PM
What if I take online college classes? I also have a few college credits because I've been going to school, and my recruiter also told me everything done in the Corps counts towards college credit as well as some special courses I can take while in the Corps. Will I not be able to get a degree this way? My recruiter said he did it this way and he was a Sniper, will it work for me?

Again, my primary concern is being a Marine but I need a solid contingency plan. It would also reassure my mother if I got a degree for her to put on the mantle next to the portrait of me in my dress blues I plan on earning in boot ;).

TTX
03-31-09, 03:47 AM
Online classes is getting widespread and it is not a bad idea for getting your degree if you stick with your plan. But they might not be acredit institute, which will not transfer to major university.

You will not able to take any classes your first year in the M.C. because bootcamp, MCT, MOS school, and then settle in with your first duty station, which will add up to roughly one year. And depending where you will be station, it may will allow you to go school.

Anyhow, I think you should join, serve with pride, ready to fight, and have fun! and don't worry about school until you get to your duty station.