PDA

View Full Version : Platoon Leaders Course

Karas
03-28-09, 09:56 PM
I am currently attempting to get into the Platoon Leaders Course for the Marine Corp. I was applying for this summer and it appears that the majority of the spots are taken. I think that I can either sign my contract and get in, sign my contract and not get in and be in the Marine Corp Reserve as a Private (Which makes my whole family nervous) or I can not sign and secure a position for the ten week session in 2010. My question is what would you recommend? Would signing now and being a Private in Marine Corp Reserve somehow jeopardize my enrollment in college? I am meeting with my Captain soon but I wanted as much information as possible. I am sure that there is information on this Forum that answer a similar question to mine but I just wanted a catered opinion to my situation

BR34
03-29-09, 12:49 PM
Marine Corp? Really? Just think about that for a second!

Fubar5812
03-29-09, 01:04 PM
*shakes head...tsk.tsk.

it says it like 7 times right there at the top of the page!!

Quinbo
03-29-09, 04:26 PM
You are not a private or anything else until you have completed recruit training. A delayed entry contract would not mean the Marine Corps is going to snatch you up and send you untrained into combat.

Karas
03-29-09, 07:07 PM
I am currently attempting to get into the Platoon Leaders Course for the Marine Corps. I was applying for this summer and it appears that the majority of the spots are taken. I think that I can either sign my contract and get in, sign my contract and not get in and be in the Marine Corps Reserve as a Private (Which makes my whole family nervous) or I can not sign and secure a position for the ten week session in 2010. My question is what would you recommend? Would signing now and being a Private in Marine Corps Reserve somehow jeopardize my enrollment in college? I am meeting with my Captain soon but I wanted as much information as possible. I am sure that there is information on this Forum that answer a similar question to mine but I just wanted a catered opinion to my situation.

DIBLO7
03-29-09, 07:16 PM
I am currently attempting to get into the Platoon Leaders Course for the Marine Corps. I was applying for this summer and it appears that the majority of the spots are taken. I think that I can either sign my contract and get in, sign my contract and not get in and be in the Marine Corps Reserve as a Private (Which makes my whole family nervous) or I can not sign and secure a position for the ten week session in 2010. My question is what would you recommend? Would signing now and being a Private in Marine Corps Reserve somehow jeopardize my enrollment in college? I am meeting with my Captain soon but I wanted as much information as possible. I am sure that there is information on this Forum that answer a similar question to mine but I just wanted a catered opinion to my situation.

WTF? You fixed the "s" and otherwise said the exact same thing. Do you expect different answers now? Oh and what the crap is wrong with going into the Marine Corps as a Private?

Karas
03-29-09, 07:45 PM
I know that I can not be put in combat untrained even if my reserve unit is activated. I wanted to know if my reserve unit is activated (or for any other reason) could my rank as a private cause me to have to go to training and leave school? If enlisting now instead of waiting until I complete college could jeopardize my education then I would rather wait.

I changed the s on my original post to be as respectful as possible, sorry for the mistake.

BR34
03-29-09, 08:36 PM
Let me see if I'm understanding this...you think that if you're a Pvt you'll have to train more than if you're an officer, so you want to be an officer so you can stay in school vice deploy/train/etc.?

Am I at least in the general vicinity of where you are coming from?

PaidinBlood
03-29-09, 08:58 PM
You're talking to my boy Karas all wrong...he just wants to use our beloved Corps as long as it gets him money and status but isn't willing to commit to the scary world of combat and risk getting his lily azz shot up. I mean there's no such thing as a posthumous degree, right? It’s the wrong tone. You do it again, I’ll stab you in the face with a soldering iron :D

http://www.battleagainstbald.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/07/christopher_walken.jpg

Donut Brigade
03-29-09, 09:39 PM
PiB you crack me up!

Karas if you don't want to mix college and the Corps, then don't! Do either one of the other, and don't get caught up in reserve BS. Marines deploy.

Karas
03-30-09, 12:03 AM
BR34 You are in the general vicinity but it has nothing to do with not wanting to train. It has to do with the risk I would have of being in the reserves and still having finishing college be first priority. I want to be an officer when I graduate but I want to be involved in the Marine Corps in college in some way. What makes me nervous about the situation is that it seems as if I could very easily sign the contract, not get into the Platoon Leaders Course Program, and be sent off to boot camp as soon as possible.

PaidinBlood I am not a lily *** but it sounds like you need a little more cow bell

Donut Brigade I am not under the illusion that signing a reserve contract involves no risk of being deployed or having my college career cut short. I am simply trying to determine what is the likely hood of not getting into the Platoon Leaders Course and then being sent to boot camp immediately.

Quinbo
03-30-09, 06:04 AM
You are mixing apples and oranges. You either sign an enlisted contract or you sign an officers contract. If you wash out as an officer in PLC, OIC or an Acadamy then that is that. You will not be dumped into the enlisted side of the house. You are just plane done.

If you want to some how be involved with the military then sign up for ROTC at your college. Go answer phones at the recruiting office.

Petz
03-30-09, 06:09 AM
to answer the question... you'd be able to sign a contract as a 90 day reservist... so after boot camp you are a PVT/PFC but you do not goto MCT... so you do not deploy as you have no job or combat training... this is not the stuff you learn on the job or in the reserves. as far as I know you don't drill, but you check in with someone I think... you'll have to check on that with yoru captain..

0231Marine
03-30-09, 07:03 AM
You're talking to my boy Karas all wrong...he just wants to use our beloved Corps as long as it gets him money and status but isn't willing to commit to the scary world of combat and risk getting his lily azz shot up. I mean there's no such thing as a posthumous degree, right? It’s the wrong tone. You do it again, I’ll stab you in the face with a soldering iron :D

http://www.battleagainstbald.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/07/christopher_walken.jpg

OK, this was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on this site!

Gurt B. Frobe doesn't mess around!

rvillac2
03-30-09, 12:28 PM
to answer the question... you'd be able to sign a contract as a 90 day reservist... so after boot camp you are a PVT/PFC but you do not goto MCT... so you do not deploy as you have no job or combat training... this is not the stuff you learn on the job or in the reserves. as far as I know you don't drill, but you check in with someone I think... you'll have to check on that with yoru captain..
You do drill after boot camp and then return to MCT/MOS the next summer. You will be OJT on your MOS every drill.

Mindgame
04-01-09, 01:25 AM
Im confused.. Your trying to go into Platoon leaders course, before bootcamp?

Correct me if I am wrong, but that doesn't happen until your at least a Sgt, or so. Or unless you become an officer.

If your worried about finishing college first, then do so. If your a 92day reservist. Then like the SSgt said. Apparently you don't deploy seeing you have no combat training.

If your a regular reservist, and your unit gets called up. Then You have no choice. I believe you can start the semester over again when you come back.

Petz
04-01-09, 01:29 AM
um PLC is after OCS... you need to goto OCS your sophmore summer vacation then your junior summer vacation you go through PLC or TBS... PLC is for infantry officers and TBS is for all other MOSs.

then when you graduate you get commisioned. This whole time you are supposed to (I'm 95% sure on this) be in a school with a NROTC program and you basically drill with your NROTC group and do PT and what-not.

there are other approaches of course, but this is a favorite for those who don't want a huge commitment upfront.

anyone interested should talk to their officer recruiter guy in their area.

ssgtblue
04-01-09, 01:55 AM
You got that right Sgt. 90 Day Reservest is not a bad way to go if you are going to school

Petz
04-01-09, 02:19 AM
SSgt, just like you.

DIBLO7
04-01-09, 06:37 AM
um PLC is after OCS... you need to goto OCS your sophmore summer vacation then your junior summer vacation you go through PLC or TBS... PLC is for infantry officers and TBS is for all other MOSs.

then when you graduate you get commisioned. This whole time you are supposed to (I'm 95% sure on this) be in a school with a NROTC program and you basically drill with your NROTC group and do PT and what-not.

there are other approaches of course, but this is a favorite for those who don't want a huge commitment upfront.

anyone interested should talk to their officer recruiter guy in their area.

SSgt, PLC is a commissioning course where OCS is split up into two different six week sections during the summer. NROTC is a completely different commissioning program. All officers go to TBS, then based off their class standing they choose their MOS and go to the subsequent school, including infantry.

Petz
04-01-09, 12:06 PM
no sh!t!!! ok, well ya see what I mean... all those things are confusing as hell... just when you think you got a handle on things....

thank you Sgt.