PDA

View Full Version : Quick Questions on IIADT/Split Program

WDMontanez
03-28-09, 11:31 AM
Hello all,

I'll start off by saying that I'm already all DEPed in, leave in June and any answers I get here aren't going to influence my decision to join the Marines in any way. I'm just looking for a bit of knowledge from others who have been/ are there. My first question on the Split program is can a reserve unit that you get assigned order you to go to SOI before the subsequent summer of your basic training if it gets activated?

I'm kind of a reformed student so I didn't used to do so well in school but I've turned it around and my goal is to become an officer but because of my past record I wasn't accepted for an NROTC scholarship (which was expected but my recruiter pushed me to do it anyway and it's good that I did because I didn't have anything to lose) so I decided to enlist last year for opportunities to get a commission from the enlisted ranks. My question about this part of my goal is that in your opinion do you think I would be better off in the Split Program/Reserves in conjunction with the PLC or changing my enlistment to active duty and trying for a MECEP slot?

Thanks to a great recruiting staff in my area I know the pros and cons of both of these options and I was originally leaning towards the MECEP but I received a substantial scholarship from an accredited university. I'm just looking for the answer to my first question and any opinions that you guys may have for me.
Thanks a lot,
-WDM

rvillac2
03-29-09, 09:47 AM
You need to fill out your profile more completely.

If the unit gets activated and you're not MOS school trained, you may get left behind. It would take significant effort to get you to MOS school first and is not likely to happen. It's not impossible, but it takes extraordinary circumstances for the USMC to alter the school schedule on an IIADT contract.

MECEP is very competitive and only for Active Duty if I recall correctly. There's a different program for Reservists. PLC is easier to get into and even easier if you're already a Marine.

By all means, do not pass up your scholarship.

WDMontanez
03-30-09, 06:07 AM
Yeah, I knew the MECEP was for active duty sorry I didn't specify. And thanks for helping me out with my question.

0231Marine
03-30-09, 06:58 AM
Alright, so what part of, "You need to fill out your profile more completely" didn't you understand?