PDA

View Full Version : Soldier comes home with message for fallen comrade's family

thedrifter
03-28-09, 07:23 AM
Soldier comes home with message for fallen comrade's family

Posted: March 27, 2009 07:26 PM

By JILL MCNEAL
6 News Anchor/Reporter

ALCOA (WATE) -- After three tours of duty, most recently at an army hospital in Iraq, a local soldier comes home bearing a special message for the family of a fallen comrade.

Army Reserve Major Jeff Glasgow got a hero's welcome from friends and family at McGhee Tyson Airport in Alcoa.

After lots of hugs and family photos, Major Glasgow told us about working as a nurse practitioner in a war zone.

"I was in charge of a six bed intensive care unit. We had patients routinely from point of injury, right out of the field. Humvees would pull up with soldiers that had come across improvised explosive devices," Glasgow says.

It wasn't long before he was called on to treat a Marine reconnaissance unit that was attacked during a house to house search. 22-year-old Sgt. Michael Ferschke of Maryville was part of that unit.

"From listening to Sgt. Peoples, who was his counterpart, listening to his story of what happened on the ground, Sgt. Ferschke had gone in second and was fairly much killed instantly," Glasgow says.

His team performed multiple surgeries on two of Ferschke's fellow marines and they survived, but he knows that doesn't make the pain any easier to bear for the Ferschke family.

"You can't always save them all. But it's our job and our duty to do our best to try and I think we do a pretty good job of that so I'm sorry for their loss, and the loss of all the others, but I think we made a big difference in a lot of lives," Glasgow says.

Sgt. Ferschke's family say they hope to meet Major Glasgow sometime soon.

Ellie