PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes an emergency means unbudgeted costs

thedrifter
03-27-09, 08:02 AM
Sometimes an emergency means unbudgeted costs

3/26/2009 By Lance Cpl. Meloney R. Moses , Marine Corps Base Quantico
MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. —

On Feb. 14, when a Marine lost his brother to an improvised explosive devise in Afghanistan, the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society was there to help.

To get to Alaska for the funeral, Staff Sgt. Matthew Hansen’s wife, Stefanie, had to seek help from NMCRS for last-minute travel costs.

Stefanie Hansen, who had dealt with NMCRS when she was an active-duty Marine, said sh

On Feb. 14, when a Marine lost his brother to an improvised explosive devise in Afghanistan, the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society was there to help.

To get to Alaska for the funeral, Staff Sgt. Matthew Hansen’s wife, Stefanie, had to seek help from NMCRS for last-minute travel costs.

Stefanie Hansen, who had dealt with NMCRS when she was an active-duty Marine, said she went in at 11 a.m. and by 1:30 p.m. had her itinerary in hand and was ready to go.

“Presha [Merritt] was great,” said Stefanie Hansen about the director of NMCRS. “She understood my mindset at the time. She was very helpful.”

In most circumstances, because in-laws are not considered immediate family members, Stefanie Hansen would not have been eligible to receive assistance, but in this case she received an emergency loan.

“The nice thing about the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society is they understand military life,” said Stefanie Hansen. “This is their specialty; their expertise. Their main purpose is to help with financial planning and they do it well.”

“I like what I’m doing,” said Merritt. “I like helping people. I consider every person who walks in here a valuable human being.”

Along with receiving a loan and partial grant to help with costs, Stefanie Hansen also made a budget plan with NMCRS.

“If nothing else, everyone should at least go in and do a budget,” she said. “It’s a really great program they have.”

For more information on the NMCRS, contact Merritt at 703-784-9754.

e went in at 11 a.m. and by 1:30 p.m. had her itinerary in hand and was ready to go.

“Presha [Merritt] was great,” said Stefanie Hansen about the director of NMCRS. “She understood my mindset at the time. She was very helpful.”

In most circumstances, because in-laws are not considered immediate family members, Stefanie Hansen would not have been eligible to receive assistance, but in this case she received an emergency loan.

“The nice thing about the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society is they understand military life,” said Stefanie Hansen. “This is their specialty; their expertise. Their main purpose is to help with financial planning and they do it well.”

“I like what I’m doing,” said Merritt. “I like helping people. I consider every person who walks in here a valuable human being.”

Along with receiving a loan and partial grant to help with costs, Stefanie Hansen also made a budget plan with NMCRS.

“If nothing else, everyone should at least go in and do a budget,” she said. “It’s a really great program they have.”

For more information on the NMCRS, contact Merritt at 703-784-9754.

Ellie