PDA

View Full Version : How long is your enlistment?

Eric Hood
03-26-09, 06:03 PM
Dear Bootnecks!
How long does a young man have to enlist for in the Royal Marines? If he makes it through that training! Is there a distinction between a Royal Marines Commando and a Royal Marine?
Semper Fi,
Eric

ricky30091
03-30-09, 06:12 PM
Hi Eric,
When I was a young man I signed the dotted line for 9 years. When I joined 40 Cdo RM I was informed of a way to get extra leave; sign on for another 5 years and receive 2 weeks leave. YES!! For 5 years service you got 2 weeks leave. After a couple more years I could then sign on for the full 22 year service and get another 2 weeks, brilliant!!!
A Royal Marines Commando who gains his green beret and Commando flashes, i.e. passes out of training at CTCRM, is a RM Commando.
Take care.
Ricky

Eric Hood
03-31-09, 04:56 PM
Thanks!
I am an associate member of the Royal Marines Association, a fact that fills me with an immense amount of pride. I watched "Commando, on The Front Line" and read the book. What a story!! The training you guys get is excellent. No political correctness. Thanks for your answer. Do you live in the states? I could'nt tell from your profile.
Sempers,
Eric

ricky30091
03-31-09, 05:01 PM
Hi Eric,
Yes, I was drafted to USA, as a civilian, in 2006; enjoying life in Connecticut at present; watch this space........
I'm also a member of the www.rma-us.org (http://www.rma-us.org) in VA.
Take care
Ricky

MontezumaCpl
03-31-09, 11:45 PM
Aye, Commando is an excellent viewing! Hadn't heard of the book, but I will look for it, thanks.
I met a Royal Marine Commando in a airport once. Very pleasant conversation we had. Outstanding uniforms!

Semper Fi all!

Eric Hood
04-01-09, 05:11 PM
Hi Ricky!
I am a member too. I know John, via e-mail. I want to go to England someday, never been. How does it work in the RM--you give a years notice? You have to sign a new contract for x-amount of years? I wish, we had had the "Tarzan Course"!
Per Mare, Per Terram,
Eric

ricky30091
04-02-09, 05:30 PM
Hey Eric, <br />
Hopefully England will still be there when you travel. <br />
I'm pretty sure it's all changed since I was medically discharged in 1986 but you could always buy yourself out which was dependent...