PDA

View Full Version : Bayhawk Goalie Matt Russell Applies Experience to Marines

thedrifter
03-26-09, 08:58 AM
Bayhawk Goalie Matt Russell Applies Experience to Marines

Washington, DC -- In any athlete's life, they will be able to tell you that what they learn on the turf or on the court can be implemented in any other part of their life. That especially holds true for Washington Bayhawks goalie Matt Russell, who was recently deployed to Baghdad for seven months. Russell played college lacrosse at the US Naval Academy and will be entering his fourth year in Major League Lacrosse (MLL).

"While playing at Navy, I learned about building confidence and becoming a leader," says Russell. "Leading a team on the field is a lot like leading a unit in the military. There is a discipline you learn from having two-a-days or three-a-days of practice on top of academic work." While no emotions can be compared to those of enlisted men, Russell feels that these similarities between playing a sport and serving the country are important.

With a school like the Naval Academy, where individuals may come for the athletics but mainly for the academic and professional training, you will have a lot of teammates with adversity. Russell believes that the military is the same way.

"It's not 9-5, and you get to know a lot about everyone," said Russell. "Both involve spending a significant amount of time with the people you're around and learning how to work as a team to achieve the common goal."

These qualities Russell has learned both on the field and during his military training have him excited and prepared for his first overseas deployment. As a 1st Lieutenant in the Marine Corps, he deployed with the Army under the Multi-National Security Transition Command based out of Baghdad, Iraq. This unique command is made up of all branches of service and allies from around the world, and they will help train Iraqi soldiers and peacekeepers in the areas of security, logistics and policies so that they will be prepared when the United States eventually withdraws their military presence.

"This is my first deployment since graduating, and I'm really excited to go," Russell stated. "A lot of my friends have done multiple tours, and I'm looking forward to going there and helping to make a difference and bring about a lasting peace."

While Russell is making his first tour of duty serving the US military, he is making his second tour with the Bayhawks. Russell was drafted 51st overall in the 2006 MLL Collegiate Draft. He helped lead the Midshipmen to the 2004 NCAA Division I National Championship where they were defeated by Syracuse.

With the Bayhawks, Russell played in five games, started two, and recorded his first MLL win in a game against the Boston Cannons. Russell was stationed in California during the 2007 season, and the Bayhawks traded him to the LA Riptide to allow him to continue to play while going through military training. Now back with the Bayhawks, he will be playing at a familiar stadium and under a familiar coach, John Tucker.

"There is no place I'd rather play than Navy, and there is no fan base better," said Russell. "I'm looking forward to playing with Graham [Gill] (Navy, '05) again and working with Coach Tucker. He is an amazing coach. I had never met him before playing in LA, but I was blown away with his ability to coach and mentor the players."

In addition to the Bayhawks calling Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium home for the next three seasons, the MLL announced a three -ear partnership with the Naval Academy for the NB Zip Championship Weekend. In 2009, the semifinals will be played on Saturday, August 22nd at 12:00 pm and 3:00 pm, and the championship game will be held on Sunday, August 23rd at 1:00 pm.

NB Zip Championship Weekend features that top four teams during the season in a single elimination playoff. The last two seasons the MLL playoffs have been in Boston, MA, but they are now coming to Maryland for the first time.

"I don't think the MLL could have picked a better site for the playoffs," Russell commented. "The lacrosse fan base in Annapolis is amazing. I think everyone will be very happy having the championship at Navy."

Although Russell will likely miss the entire 2009 MLL season due to his deployment and his service to the country, the Bayhawks are happy to have him back as part of the team. Just as he was able to apply what he learned on the lacrosse field to his military training, Russell will be able to bring back his experience overseas to help lead the Bayhawks on the field.

Ellie