PDA

View Full Version : The newly named Overseas Contingency Operation

thedrifter
03-26-09, 08:15 AM
The newly named Overseas Contingency Operation
[Gregory S. McNeal]

Uncle Jimbo at BlackFive wrote a humorous post about the end of the "Global War on Terrorism" and the beginning of the new "Overseas Contingency Operation." Stated differently, the war our brave men and women are fighting is now better described as a thing we do because of a disagreement. (One has to wonder, will we need to rename the "War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal"? Perhaps Battle Stars will now be renamed Unpleasant Experience Stars . . .)

For those of you who may be wondering just what the heck a contingency is, Mike Goldfarb points out that a contingency in philosophy is "the status of propositions that are not necessarily true or necessarily false." I suppose some Ivy League guy in the White House thought this was an appropriate term.

Which begs the next question: Now that the term "enemy combatants" is no longer en vogue, what will we call our enemies in this Overseas Contingency Operation? Alien unlawful enemy combatants is so passé; what other possibilities are there? Perhaps "not-so-nice contingent operators" or "misunderstood persons wrongly swept up in an overseas contingency." So many semantic options, so little time.

I'm hoping some Republican will eventually man-up and tell the White House that if all these people are innocent folks, wrongfully imprisoned by that evil Bush administration (in President Obama's words, "folks that we just swept up"), then why not move them into the Lincoln Bedroom as a national apology? In fact, he could even give them "jobs that Americans won't do," tending to the new White House vegetable garden.

Mr. President put your money where your mouth is, relocate these wayward souls, and let the global healing begin!

"Man-caused Disasters" complicate "Overseas Contingency Operations"
Posted By Uncle Jimbo

Anyone who thought the new administration wasn't serious about fighting terrorism better just sit down and STFU! The new sheriff and his gang of euphemizers who won't discuss shooting straight have shown their mettle. They will put the fear of God Allah Teleprompter Jesus into those Islamist terrorists Disaster causing men overseas who keep blowing up creating localized incidents of an explosive nature where innocents are slaughtered inconvenienced in a big way.

WTF people? Do they really think they can change a few words and all of a sudden we are no longer at war with deranged devotees of Islam who are pretty sure what they are up to. They have no qualms about their Global Jihad to impose Sharia law and create a new Caliphate. Sorry for the straight talk there I wouldn't want to offend anyone or make them feel uncomfortable.

I wish this wasn't symptomatic of the mindset of our moral betters on the left, but I have lived among them enough to know that they really believe the bad guys are simply chafed that we call them what they are names. And if we would quit classifying people who do evil things as evil then we wouldn't have to hear the word evil and voila bunnies, unicorns and decaf soy lattes for everyone. To call them dangerously naive is an understatement and these are the folks who are going to negotiate with Ahm-a-nuttah-job, Putin and the Chinese? We are in deep ****e.

Ellie