PDA

View Full Version : HMM-264 return the last for CH-46

thedrifter
03-26-09, 06:41 AM
HMM-264 return the last for CH-46
Comments 0 | Recommend 3
March 25, 2009 - 4:00 PM
SUZANNE ULBRICH

Wednesday's homecoming of the HMM-264 Black Knights may have reunited families and loved ones, but it was still a bittersweet day.

The completion of Marine Medium Helicoptor Squadron-264's seven-month deployment with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit marks the end of an era - the CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter, known affectionately as the "phrog," has served its last East Coast deployment. It will soon be replaced by the MV-22 Osprey.

The phrog, which has served as the primary medium-lift helicopter for the Marine Corps for more than 40 years, has officially been retired.

"This is the last time you'll have phrogs coming in on the East Coast," said Gunnery Sgt. Christopher Murray, the squadron's family readiness officer.

The Ch-46's final New River appearance was Wednesday as they joined four CH-53s, four Cobras and two Hueys, for the traditional MEU homecoming fly-over. Murray said between 300 and 350 Marines returned to New River Air Station on Wednesday. Others with the 26th MEU's aviation element returned to Cherry Point on Monday.

Cpl. Danny Porrovecchio said he was happy to be back in the arms of his girlfriend and family, and was also proud to be part of the historic mission.

"I am honored that I got to fly on the last mission (with the CH-46)," he said. "I am also looking forward to the future with the Osprey and working on them, since I'm going back to school to learn to do that."

His girlfriend, Samantha Padgett of Emerald Isle, was looking forward to having him home. She carried a small sign bearing the word "Meh."

"It's Danny's code, I can't share," she said. "I just couldn't wait to hold him ... We're going back to my house and eat real food - hot dogs, hamburgers and kielbasa."

Porrovecchio said he looked for the sign in the crowd and was glad to see it up front so he could find his family easily.

"The sign was something to look forward to ... It sure is good to be back, really really good," he said.

Callie Graham shivered in the cold morning air but was determined to have her husband, Cpl. Joseph Lee Graham, see her in a short black figure-fitting dress and heels. She's lost 24 pounds since he's been gone.

"I'm just a country girl - a jeans and T-shirt girl, he's not used to seeing me this way, so I'm very excited," she said.

She said their 3-year-old son Caden was not talking before the deployment, but has a few words now.

"(His father) is anxious to hear him say ‘daddy,'" she said.

As his children vied for his attention, Lt. Col. Mike Snyder, the squadron's commanding officer, said he was extremely happy to be home and have the squadron members reunited with their families. He sees the Ch-46 retirement as a poignant event, but a necessary part of progress.

"Well, you know, it's kind of a bittersweet thing - since I've spent 16 years flying," he said. "But, it's good to see the transition of the Marine Corps moving up to the new technology."

Col. Mark Desens, commanding officer of the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit and a CH-46 pilot, said the chopper has served well. The oldest one in the squadron was built in 1966 and the newest in 1970.

You can trace the pilots and crews from Vietnam through Beirut, Desert Storm, Iraq, Afghanistan and everything in between, he said. The helo has performed well through it all, Desens said.

"Am I nostalgic about it? You bet," he said. "But do I bemoan that we're going to retire her? Not at all. The V-22 is going to take us all new places. I really don't think we know where it's going to take us yet ... The potential to cover a theater is unbelievable."

Military reporter Jennifer Hlad contributed to this report. Contact Topsail area reporter Suzanne Ulbrich at sulbrich@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8454.

Ellie