PDA

View Full Version : Embassy Duty

codeman92190
03-26-09, 12:34 AM
Hey everyone, I just had a quick question that I couldn't quite find the answer to in previous posts, so I figured I'd present it to you...

I was was curious whether or not the Marines that get stationed at Embassies are the actual guards, or if they are just there for show. Like, are they really the only line of defense against an attack on an Embassy? Do they carry weapons on duty? Do they go through any additional training before being stationed? Or, are they just suppost to stand there and represent the US military?

I ask because I've seen a few pictures, and it doesn't look to me like anyone within the embassy is armed...

I appreciate your replies.

-Cody Wiles

commdog7
03-26-09, 12:46 AM
I am currently on Embassy duty. Although it feels like we are on display, we actually serve an operational purpose. They don't call us Marine Security Guards for nothing! We guard classified material, personnel, and equipment, that is our mission. We are fully armed and ready to eliminate any and all threats to our post. And yes, we do go through a special school to train specifically for this duty.

Achped
03-26-09, 01:44 AM
Sgt, what do the guys do for fun? You can't exactly go out and meet the latinas can you? I'm sure you can in other embassys but Cuba? Thats gotta blowwww....

commdog7
03-26-09, 02:34 AM
Sgt, what do the guys do for fun? You can't exactly go out and meet the latinas can you? I'm sure you can in other embassys but Cuba? Thats gotta blowwww....

Nope, can't do any of that out here. They do have a few clubs here, but it is not uncommon for us to get kicked out because we are American. There is scuba diving and a little bit of sight seeing, but that's about it for fun.

I never knew how much I hated Cuba until I got stationed here.

Petz
03-26-09, 03:01 AM
and I doubt you're looking for latinas..... don't ask, don't tell!

commdog7
03-26-09, 03:26 AM
and I doubt you're looking for latinas..... don't ask, don't tell!

That ain't how I roll.... All Cubans are dirty, ain't worth my time.

No love for this Devil Dog.

0231Marine
03-26-09, 06:52 AM
All Cubans are dirty...

Wow, kind of like Iraqi's :)

Petz
03-26-09, 01:27 PM
commdog... latinas are females... latinos are males..... come on you know this!!! why do you make the comment as though you are looking for women, but not cuban women?!!!

anyways, that's just how i read it.

JWDevilDog
03-26-09, 01:38 PM
Poolee, it may not look like they are armed, but that is probably because the weaponry is stored in an armory within the compound. I imagine the Marines would carry 9mm pistols and in some cases rifles on their bodies in more hostile countries.

There is no MOS, billet, position, or anything else in the Marine Corps that is strictly for "show." We do not have that kind of resources to waste. Everyone always has a mission, even if it is minor and seemingly inconsequential.

commdog7
03-26-09, 05:53 PM
commdog... latinas are females... latinos are males..... come on you know this!!! why do you make the comment as though you are looking for women, but not cuban women?!!!

anyways, that's just how i read it.

I know that latinas are women and latinos are men. I am used to Marines/poolees mistakening me for being male, therefore it really doesn't bother me. I just twist around the statements. For instance, I seen latinas and I registered it as latinos so it would reflect my situation.

I stated that all Cubans are dirty, and they are, both male and female. I didn't state anything which should have been confused with me looking to hook up with women. I'm pretty sure you misunderstood me.

Petz
03-27-09, 12:29 AM
yes I did notice a mis-understanding and I just pointed it out to mess with you... though you took it seriously... yut.

TTX
03-27-09, 07:59 PM
I know that latinas are women and latinos are men. I am used to Marines/poolees mistakening me for being male, therefore it really doesn't bother me. I just twist around the statements. For instance, I seen latinas and I registered it as latinos so it would reflect my situation.

I stated that all Cubans are dirty, and they are, both male and female. I didn't state anything which should have been confused with me looking to hook up with women. I'm pretty sure you misunderstood me.

Whose knows now days, she could be latino and he could be latina!:)

commdog7
03-28-09, 10:29 AM
yes I did notice a mis-understanding and I just pointed it out to mess with you... though you took it seriously... yut.

Why you playing mind-games with me, SSgt? :(

SSgt Ramsey
03-28-09, 10:43 AM
I would think that the level of the MSG's personal armament would depend on the actual location and political climate of the embassy where they're assigned.

I was a part of a NEO from the American Embassy in Albania in 97' when we got called in when the country collapsed. Those MSG Marine's were fighting for their lives and trying to defend the compound.

andre5
05-12-11, 07:38 AM
I am a former MSG. I was in chagre of the MSGs at Ton Son Nhut, Viet Nam, DAO Compound. The last two Marines who died in Viet Nam were my men. We do more than just stand around and look good.

Beltayn
05-12-11, 12:51 PM
LCpl,

I was was curious whether or not the Marines that get stationed at Embassies are the actual guards, or if they are just there for show.Yes we are actual guards. No, "guard duty" is not all we are there for operationally.

Like, are they really the only line of defense against an attack on an Embassy?No they are not the "only" line of defense. But they are the primary and most important line of defense.

Do they carry weapons on duty?Yes, among other things. Won't go into it in detail because of OPSEC.

Do they go through any additional training before being stationed?Yes, after the extensive selection process there is a schoolhouse training program located at Quantico.

Or, are they just suppost to stand there and represent the US military?As Marines, we ALWAYS represent the US military, and the face of America as a whole, no matter where we are, what we are wearing, or what we are doing.

Hit me up in a PM if you have further questions about MSG duty.

Semper Fi

Tennessee Top
05-12-11, 01:05 PM
I was an embassy guard in Guatemala and Nicaragua in the mid-70's and then the Detachment Commander (used to be NCOIC) of the MSG detachments in Haiti and Sao Paulo, Brazil during the late 80's. I was also the Operations Chief of the MSG School in Quantico in the early 90's.

The MSG detachment provides internal security only. External security of the facility may be provided by the host country's military, national guard, police department, or DOS/civilian contracted guards. In special circumstances, a FAST platoon from the MARSOC may temporarily augment security and assist with evacuations if necessary.

Unless the policy has changed, the weapons carried by the MSG's are owned by the State Department and are not DOD weapons. Therefore, the sidearm typically was a .357 magnum revolver versus a 9mm Beretta carried in the fleet. Normally, there would be an 870-P automatic shotgun at Post 1. MSG's would also carry lessor means of deadly force such as pepper spray and PR-24 baton. Embassies are not fortresses and do not maintain armories or large amounts of ammo. The idea is that sufficient help would arrive in time (unlike what happened in Iran when our embassy there was overran and hostages taken...including the MSG's who were ordered to not fire their weapons).

The school in Quantico serves two purposes. It trains future MSG's and it is also a screening tool to ensure only qualified Marines make it onto the program. You may be the most proficient grunt in the FMF but not what they are looking for. You must be able to obtain a final top secret security clearance. Sgt's and below cannot be married and agree not to marry while on the program.

There are posts around the world where the MSG's are prohibited from fraternizing with the local female population (mostly communist block nations) because of the espionage threat. There are also the religious restrictions in Muslim countries. In Haiti, my MSG's avoided the locals because of the AIDS epidemic in that country. In contrast, my MSG's in Brazil were like kids in a candy factory! All of them had girlfriends and some of them were dating two girls at the same time (couple of them married those girls when they rotated off the program).

If you are interested in MSG duty see your career planner. There is a Marine Corps order on the prerequisites and a checklist that must be completed.

Beltayn
05-12-11, 01:14 PM
Unless the policy has changed, the weapons carried by the MSG's are owned by the State Department and are not DOD weapons. Therefore, the sidearm typically was a .357 magnum revolver versus a 9mm Beretta carried in the fleet.

This has changed now Top, pistols and rifles belong to and are provided and serviced by MCESG. So we use the Beretta and not the Glock. They preferred us using the Berettas anyway because the Glock doesn't have a safety.
M-870 Shotties are still State Department property.

Tennessee Top
05-12-11, 04:14 PM
Beltayn,

Thanks for the update Devil Dog! You continue to be a good source of current information for me and I appreciate it.

Let's face it, MSG duty is basically guard duty on steroids. MSG's are entrusted with safeguarding American lives, property, and classified material. However, the basic elements of guard duty such as the general orders, long hours as a lone sentry, etc. have always been and will always be the basis of the MSG program. Some things change out of neccessity, but for the most part, other things will never change. MSG's from some past era will always be able to identify with the MSG's in a different era which is one of the neat things about the program.

Congratulations to all the current MSG's serving on the program and keep your heads down out there wherever you are! In todays global war on terrorism, you ARE at the tip of the spear along with your brothers and sisters in Afghanistan.