PDA

View Full Version : Best way to prepare for summer time Parris enviroment...

Lupo22
03-26-09, 12:19 AM
I'm from South Florida and have been a landscaper for the last 8 years. Working in the heat has never been a problem. I'm constantly around fire ants and mosquito's, but don't have much experience with sand fleas other than when I visit the west coast.

My question is does anyone have any advice on dealing with the insects or preparing for them? Is it really as bad as everyone says?? My buddy (a Cpl) was telling me that the sand fleas are unbearable almost.

Also, is there a breeze on the Island? or is it a sticky, dead heat like in Charleston? I worked there a little bit the last two summers and it SUCKED.....waaaaaay worse than South Florida. At least we get an Atlantic breeze here...

Petz
03-26-09, 12:30 AM
sand fleas... in the west coast.... you must be thinking about some kind of nat... sand fleas on parris island are a special breed that have been mutated by the generations of Recruits striving to become Marines.... These sand fleas are the result of natural selection... only the fast make it past the nasty recruits swat, only the inteligent skip the recruit with bug spray.... and only the strong survive. all I can say is be prepared to not scratch... poking yourself with a needle will only give you an idea of what' it's like when you have 20 of them super sand fleas feasting on you.

oh and you'll not feel a breeze after 0630.... sorry, oh and that black flag means Marines in FMF aren't allowed to go out and train... too bad you aren't in the FMF.

Good luck Poolee.

Lupo22
03-26-09, 12:39 AM
Thank you sir. I should have rephrased the west coast of Florida...not the U.S.

From what I've been told, you're not allowed to swat at them and bug spray??? I was told there's no such thing! hehe no but seriously, bug spray??

Petz
03-26-09, 12:42 AM
when you go out for drill your drill instructors will let you lube up with cutter... it's the best stuff, hell they probably will let you have some in your cargo pocket... though they will not let YOU use it, it'll be for them.

as for swatting at them... you be the one who does that, see what happens... that's why I called that guy the NASTY recruit.

oh, don't call me Sir ever again unless you see me wearing some shinny things on my collar (and even then make sure I'm not on mess duty)

Lupo22
03-26-09, 12:50 AM
Uh oh...then don't get mad at the other post about running where I called you sir!

So they let you put on some cutter first?? that's reassuring. I think I'll be pretty good with that. I should probably goto the beach and tan like a mother f***** before I leave to toughen up my skin...make me less desirable than that chalky new englander with baby butt cheeks and arms

Petz
03-26-09, 12:55 AM
yeah that might help... but the cutter is gonna be for initial drill (compitition) and final drill (compitition)... most other times will be the range, and when your platoon is being good.

Lupo22
03-26-09, 01:01 AM
just when you'd given me an ounce of hope ssgt, you shot it down

oh well, i'll survive. Ive refused to swat at a mosquito, an ant or any other bug the last few months, so hopefully i'll be ready

Petz
03-26-09, 02:56 AM
...let us hope.

JRob629
03-27-09, 06:34 PM
Just wait until your Black Hats have you put cammie paint on and the mosquitos get stuck to your face while you're standing at attention. That's always an adventure. Don't worry too much about the bugs though, just drink a lot of water, that's the best way to deal with the heat.

SGT7477
03-27-09, 09:28 PM
Thank you sir. I should have rephrased the west coast of Florida...not the U.S.

From what I've been told, you're not allowed to swat at them and bug spray??? I was told there's no such thing! hehe no but seriously, bug spray??
He would be a SSGT of Marines.:flag:

SGT7477
03-27-09, 09:30 PM
just when you'd given me an ounce of hope ssgt, you shot it down

oh well, i'll survive. Ive refused to swat at a mosquito, an ant or any other bug the last few months, so hopefully i'll be ready
You think you get shot down now, wait until you get into boot camp,lol.:D

DWG
03-27-09, 09:42 PM
I went to PI in July of 68. I'd spent the previous several months on the beach (usually buzzed) and had a kickass tan. I do not recall any problems with sand fleas on the Island. Yes it is hotter than hell, and you will sweat like never before. But you should be used to it being from Florida. A lot of yankees made fun of the fact I was soaked like I had been swimming when I came in from Pt or a run, but guess who fell out from the heat; wasn't me! We used salt pills back then and I ate them like candy and my utilities were stained with brine, but never a hint of heat exaustion or stroke, and we had a lot of it. I understand the pills are out of favor now, I guess they supply electrolytes. You live in a hotter place than I did/do (Central Fl.) so you should have no problem. Back to the sand fleas, if they were there I don't remember them. Just beware of everything else (Drill Instructors, mainly)! :D Good luck!

SSgt Ramsey
03-27-09, 10:29 PM
I grew up in Maine...I was miserable at Parris Island...oh yes....

When it hit like 40 degrees in NC, most of the Marine's were frozen....I'd be in a sweatshirt running round the lot doing my thing lol...that was short's weather to me :D

When we went to Norway for cold weather training, similar....and not being racial, the darker Marine's did NOT have a fun time in the snow...had to MedEvac a few of the moron's who did NOT listen to the Doc's and strip down before the got in the Extreme Cold Weather sleeping bag system....dumb bastages...

Lupo22
03-27-09, 11:45 PM
I went to PI in July of 68. I'd spent the previous several months on the beach (usually buzzed) and had a kickass tan. I do not recall any problems with sand fleas on the Island. Yes it is hotter than hell, and you will sweat like never before. But you should be used to it being from Florida. A lot of yankees made fun of the fact I was soaked like I had been swimming when I came in from Pt or a run, but guess who fell out from the heat; wasn't me! We used salt pills back then and I ate them like candy and my utilities were stained with brine, but never a hint of heat exaustion or stroke, and we had a lot of it. I understand the pills are out of favor now, I guess they supply electrolytes. You live in a hotter place than I did/do (Central Fl.) so you should have no problem. Back to the sand fleas, if they were there I don't remember them. Just beware of everything else (Drill Instructors, mainly)! :D Good luck!

Ya, when you get a tan (from the sun, not some tanning bed), it roughens up the skin. Mosquitoes just pass you on by and pick an easier target. There will be plenty to choose from. I used to party out in the Everglades at some camps in the middle of the swamp. You haven't seen mosquitoes until you've been in the swamp...I'm sure you have being in Central Fl though. We get mosquitoes year round...they don't die in the winter here!

If you don't mind me asking DWG, you were active in 68 and only achieved the rank of Private?

Petz
03-28-09, 12:57 AM
no, I'm sure he achieved it more than once!! hahaha.

JWDevilDog
03-28-09, 12:58 AM
If you don't mind me asking DWG, you were active in 68 and only achieved the rank of Private?

Learn your rank structure, poolee. He is a PFC, which is an E-2, just as it was back then. Also bear in mind promotions came a lot less often back then. Also, bear in mind he was only on active duty for one year.

I suggest you be careful, poolee, as that man earned his Eagle, Globe, and Anchor and has nothing to prove to any Marine on this site.

JWDevilDog
03-28-09, 01:04 AM
And as far as sandfleas go, they are one of the most horrific things most people have experienced up to this point in their lives, I'm sure. The analogy about sticking yourself with a pin was used. That is kind of accurate, but it feels more like a pin that is as big around as, oh let's say the tip of a Q-Tip. And it is not just one Q-Tip pin, but what feels like a thousand, all attacking one part of your body at a time. Just when you think you can stand the pain on your arm, they move to your neck. Then to your other arm. Then to your face. Then they swarm.

As the good Ssgt said, they are genetically engineered to cause as much pain and discomfort as possible. They feed off bug juice, and only get stronger from Cutter. That is probably why DWG doesn't remember them. It was probably his generation that started the genetic engineering! Not on purpose, I'm sure...

I suggest you not wear the stuff, because if you do, you are only f*cking over all those recruits that come after you!

CplDay
03-28-09, 05:09 AM
Since I was a "Hollywood" Marine, I cant attest to "sand fleas", only going straight up, but being a midwest boy growing up in the humidity here, I can tell you drink your damn water, dont get juice or milk at chow, drink your damn water.

If they offer electrolyte tablets, take them.

Lupo22
03-28-09, 10:18 AM
Learn your rank structure, poolee. He is a PFC, which is an E-2, just as it was back then. Also bear in mind promotions came a lot less often back then. Also, bear in mind he was only on active duty for one year.

I suggest you be careful, poolee, as that man earned his Eagle, Globe, and Anchor and has nothing to prove to any Marine on this site.

I knew that was Private First Class...I actually meant to call him Private (you don't address a PFC as Private First Class, do you?)

And I didn't mean any disrespect by it and I CERTAINLY did not mean for him to "prove" anything. I was just wondering if something had happened. I didn't know he only served one year. I checked his profile but must have overlooked that somehow.

Lupo22
03-28-09, 10:21 AM
And as far as sandfleas go, they are one of the most horrific things most people have experienced up to this point in their lives, I'm sure. The analogy about sticking yourself with a pin was used. That is kind of accurate, but it feels more like a pin that is as big around as, oh let's say the tip of a Q-Tip. And it is not just one Q-Tip pin, but what feels like a thousand, all attacking one part of your body at a time. Just when you think you can stand the pain on your arm, they move to your neck. Then to your other arm. Then to your face. Then they swarm.

As the good Ssgt said, they are genetically engineered to cause as much pain and discomfort as possible. They feed off bug juice, and only get stronger from Cutter. That is probably why DWG doesn't remember them. It was probably his generation that started the genetic engineering! Not on purpose, I'm sure...

I suggest you not wear the stuff, because if you do, you are only f*cking over all those recruits that come after you!

Reminds me of horseflies down here...when we're out in the 'glades, they will follow us on the boat. Literally follow us when we're up on plane cruising. And when they bite, it hurts almost as bad as a bee, however, it stops hurting when they're done biting.

SSgt Ramsey
03-28-09, 10:34 AM
I actually meant to call him Private (you don't address a PFC as Private First Class, do you?)

You're pi$$ing me off....yes, you address them as either PFC or Private First Class...it's a rank, and looking at your profile, you haven't even earned the title yet. At least he DID!!

And I didn't mean any disrespect by it and I CERTAINLY did not mean for him to "prove" anything. I was just wondering if something had happened. I didn't know he only served one year. I checked his profile but must have overlooked that somehow.

Regardless of what he did or didn't do, that's not any of your business or relevant to this post. The important thing here is that he IS a former Marine and will be respected as such accordingly. I strongly advise you to unscrew yourself and learn some respect here as a poolee. You aren't one of us yet, you haven't earned it or that respect.

commdog7
03-28-09, 11:19 AM
A PFC is addressed as Private First Class, not Private. You wouldn't call a LCpl a Corporal, it is the same concept.

I was reading through some of these posts and just couldn't help but laugh. There's this male poolee who is afraid of a few sand fleas! I know plenty of female recruits who complain less than him! When I was on the island, we just let them bite. I remember being swarmed by sand fleas and mosquitos while waiting outside the chow hall, I still recall the words of my Drill Instructors "they will eat before you will eat". Cutter? Nah, we didn't get any of that! Maybe once or twice during boot we got to put on some bug spray, but that was it. I remember being covered in bites almost every day, but it never really bothered me, nor did it bother the other female recruits in my platoon. We were disciplined! So yes, I find it funny that this male poolee is crying over a few sand fleas. The initial post was fine, but when he continued to press the issue, well, all my respect for him went down the drain.

Grow some Balls!!! I have a pair I could lend you.... :banana:

Petz
03-28-09, 11:35 AM
a Private First Class is called a Private First Class or PFC.

and oscar company '01 was nasty, undisciplined trash. ;)

commdog7
03-28-09, 11:44 AM
oscar company '01 was nasty, undisciplined trash. ;)

I don't know what you're talking about, SSgt... We are the leanest meanest fighting machines to ever roam the Earth! Only the hard core Marines come out of 4th BN, Rah!

:iwo:

SGT7477
03-28-09, 12:14 PM
A PFC is addressed as Private First Class, not Private. You wouldn't call a LCpl a Corporal, it is the same concept.

I was reading through some of these posts and just couldn't help but laugh. There's this male poolee who is afraid of a few sand fleas! I know plenty of female recruits who complain less than him! When I was on the island, we just let them bite. I remember being swarmed by sand fleas and mosquitos while waiting outside the chow hall, I still recall the words of my Drill Instructors "they will eat before you will eat". Cutter? Nah, we didn't get any of that! Maybe once or twice during boot we got to put on some bug spray, but that was it. I remember being covered in bites almost every day, but it never really bothered me, nor did it bother the other female recruits in my platoon. We were disciplined! So yes, I find it funny that this male poolee is crying over a few sand fleas. The initial post was fine, but when he continued to press the issue, well, all my respect for him went down the drain.

Maybe send him some brass balls.:D

Petz
03-28-09, 12:16 PM
more than a few were soft looking, so that's debatable. :D

commdog7
03-28-09, 03:51 PM
I got Balls of steel, just like Chuck Norris (in case any of you were wondering).... :D

Lupo22
03-28-09, 05:14 PM

Good stuff. Except the part where I was playing along with the SSgt after he made some comments. Crying about sand fleas? I think I remember saying I'll be ok while all the blue blood yank's are getting gnawed on. But anything to pick on a poolee. I guess I'll get used to it until July 24th.

And as far as PFC DWG goes, I didn't mean anything negative by it. He doesn't have to explain a damned thing. Some people; however, enjoy telling their stories to other people. I've already written him a PM and explained that I meant nothing by it and was just curious.

Take care ya'll

NewHarleyGear
03-28-09, 05:27 PM
Skin-So-Soft (Avon product) for the sand fleas. I was there for almost 3 years as a PMI.

DWG
03-28-09, 05:28 PM
Ya, when you get a tan (from the sun, not some tanning bed), it roughens up the skin. Mosquitoes just pass you on by and pick an easier target. There will be plenty to choose from. I used to party out in the Everglades at some camps in the middle of the swamp. You haven't seen mosquitoes until you've been in the swamp...I'm sure you have being in Central Fl though. We get mosquitoes year round...they don't die in the winter here!

Because I got out in '69 with a medical! Hell, I'd be the damn commandant by now! :D

Lupo22
03-28-09, 05:36 PM
Because I got out in '69 with a medical! Hell, I'd be the damn commandant by now! :D

Gotcha PFC...I figured it was something like that. Hope everythings ok for you now and it wasn't something that carried on.

Skin So Soft huh? I'll give it a shot. ;)

SGT7477
03-28-09, 06:45 PM
I got Balls of steel, just like Chuck Norris (in case any of you were wondering).... :D
We could be a match then.:D

Petz
03-28-09, 11:57 PM
maybe you don't know this CommDog... but chuck norris balls are titanum alloy... high speed and low drag, maybe it's time for an upgrade for your implants??? :D

commdog7
03-29-09, 05:15 AM
maybe you don't know this CommDog... but chuck norris balls are titanum alloy... high speed and low drag, maybe it's time for an upgrade for your implants??? :D

I'll see about getting my balls changed. Chuck Norris has met his match.... :D

commdog7
03-29-09, 05:32 AM
Good stuff. Except the part where I was playing along with the SSgt after he made some comments. Crying about sand fleas? I think I remember saying I'll be ok while all the blue blood yank's are getting gnawed on. But anything to pick on a poolee. I guess I'll get used to it until July 24th.

I won't lie, when I first saw your post I was hoping to tear into you some more, but then I read it and a little piece of me died. I was really looking forward to picking on you some more, but I guess you talked your way out of this one.

Now I know what a cat feels like when he fights a rodent he has no intention of eating. Once that rodent refuses to fight or plays dead, then the cat looses interest and slowly walks away. I feel you cat, I feel you....

Lupo22
03-29-09, 12:35 PM
I won't lie, when I first saw your post I was hoping to tear into you some more, but then I read it and a little piece of me died. I was really looking forward to picking on you some more, but I guess you talked your way out of this one.

Now I know what a cat feels like when he fights a rodent he has no intention of eating. Once that rodent refuses to fight or plays dead, then the cat looses interest and slowly walks away. I feel you cat, I feel you....

I think I'll take that as as much of a "no hard feelings" kind of statement without actually saying it. Who knows. I didn't mean anything by what I said, and I sure don't think I came off as "whining".

Hell, I probably work harder than any other poolee on this page. 14 hour days in the hot Florida sun digging holes, then 2 hours at the gym, followed by a run or tae-kwon-do...I don't even know when I sleep...I guess I can sleep when I'm dead.

Either way, I did apologize PFC DWG and he is actually a really cool guy. The first person on this forum that I look forward to PM'ing when I get earn The Title.

DWG
03-29-09, 12:54 PM
I think I'll take that as as much of a "no hard feelings" kind of statement without actually saying it. Who knows. I didn't mean anything by what I said, and I sure don't think I came off as "whining".

Hell, I probably work harder than any other poolee on this page. 14 hour days in the hot Florida sun digging holes, then 2 hours at the gym, followed by a run or tae-kwon-do...I don't even know when I sleep...I guess I can sleep when I'm dead.

Either way, I did apologize PFC DWG and he is actually a really cool guy. The first person on this forum that I look forward to PM'ing when I get earn The Title.

No apology necessary; Good Luck on the Island "resort vacation"! :thumbup:

Petz
03-29-09, 02:14 PM
you mean i'm not number one????

I'm tearing up over here......

DWG
03-29-09, 02:23 PM

Cheer up; he'll outrank me when he gets through PI! :D

Petz
03-29-09, 02:24 PM
hahahaha

Lupo22
03-29-09, 03:57 PM

Hehe...I'm sure I'll learn on my "vacation" to call you by your rank and not "sir" all the time...