PDA

View Full Version : Getting stationed together?

StoneTheWeak
03-25-09, 09:10 AM
Right now I'm at NAS Pensacola, for Aviation Electronics. My girlfriend, fiance soon I'm hopin, wants to become a marine. My question is this, what would I do to have the greatest chance of being stationed with her? If she goes Aviation that makes it just as bad if not worse than anything else because once you're aviation electronics you can get assigned to any aircraft at any level and go anywhere. I was thinking about her trying to become Air Traffic Control so she can only go to an airbase but it can be any airbase.

Just looking for ideas to make it work.

Achped
03-25-09, 09:28 AM
It says your location is Jacksonville but you're at Pensacola?

You don't even know if she'll qualify for ATC and most likely by the time she hits the fleet you'll be deployed, but the Corps will usually put spouses on the same base. In my personal experience I have never seen a military couple, in a situation such as yours, not put on the same base.

Its usually when a couple gets married after both are already enlisted that you run into issues.

TJR1070
03-25-09, 10:38 AM
I would wait until at least you get to a permanent duty station in the Fleet so you would have a better idea if it would be even possible. I would then pick the brains of your NCO's to find out any unit specific rules or imminent deployments that might affect you. All in all you should wait until your situation is stable before shaking everything up.

JWDevilDog
03-25-09, 11:08 AM
If she goes Aviation that makes it just as bad if not worse than anything else because once you're aviation electronics you can get assigned to any aircraft at any level and go anywhere. I was thinking about her trying to become Air Traffic Control so she can only go to an airbase but it can be any airbase.

Does she want to go ATC or do you want her to go ATC? First of all, I say let her make her own decisions about her career.

Second of all, I agree that you should wait till your permanent duty station. Your NCOs are a valuable resource in the Fleet (probably the most valuable, if your NCOs are worth a damn), and they will be able to give you good answers and help you out.

GSEMarine94
03-25-09, 12:42 PM
I agree with JWDevildog, let her choose her career. If she wants to be with you she will choose something that will get both of you stationed together. I worked with a WM SGT (winger) who married a MP SSGT, he had orders to Caly before they got married. After they got married she was able to get orders to Caly as well not sure if they were both assigned to an airstation though. But what can happen is you could be stationed at New River and she could get Lejuene which are right next to each other.

echo3oscar1833
03-25-09, 01:24 PM
As everyone else said, wait until you get a few more ducks in a row, get to the fleet, get an understanding of things, and your surroundings at your permanent duty station. Find out what MOS your girlfriend is looking into, also you have to consider at this time she is still just your girlfriend. She is not your fiancie or wife yet. I don't want to sound like the negative one here, but women can change there mind on things real easy. (no offense ladies :D). She could have a change of heart once she actually enlists, and completes boot camp. At that point she will be around a bunch of other male Marines. Not trying to sound negative brother just giving you the straight scoop :marine:

Integrity57
03-25-09, 02:49 PM
First of all don't get in a hurry and have some shotgun wedding that'll only end up in a divorce, I hear getting a divorce can **** up your credit. Just concern yourself with her actually making the commitment to join the Corps and make it through Boot Camp. They can co-locate you two without much difficulty regardless of MOS I believe. I know a female Sailor who is an ATC that is married to a Marine who fixes the radar equipment they use and they are going to be co-located as soon as she gets her orders out of here (P-Cola).

CplKJSpevak
03-25-09, 02:57 PM
I've never met more engaged Young Men than when I was in the Marine Corps.....I think it has something to do with being away from home, new environment, that kind of thing. I mean in the Civilian world how many 21 year old guy's do you meet who are married with 2 kids? I used to see it all the time in service, All this fuss might mess up your focus PFC. Just enjoy your military experience, work hard and don't try to force a situation. my 2 cent

StoneTheWeak
03-25-09, 10:22 PM
It's all stuff I think about on a constant basis. She said as long as she does something "fun" she doesn't mind. Kinda leaves out supply and admin(no offense to the box kickers). Sometimes I wanna just let it all sort itself out, sometimes I just wanna say **** it, and sometimes I wanna for once feel like I have a say in my life.

DocGreek
03-25-09, 10:50 PM
After 3 marriages, and 3 divorces....I'm NOT giving an opinion!! Just remember one thing.....SEX, AND ROMANCE, IS NOT A LIFE-LONG RELATIONSHIP!! 90% communication, and 10%, ALL THE OTHER CRAP!! DO NOT NEED A FVCKING MARRIAGE LICENSE, TO HAVE A LIFE-LONG QUALITY RELATIONSHIP!!!!!......THINK, THINK, THINK, THINK, DON'T JUST FVCK, FVCK, FVCK, FVCK!!!! FAMILY, FIRST.....MILITARY SERVICE....SECOND!!!........DOC

Marine84
03-26-09, 07:39 AM
After 3 marriages, and 3 divorces....I'm NOT giving an opinion!! Just remember one thing.....SEX, AND ROMANCE, IS NOT A LIFE-LONG RELATIONSHIP!! 90% communication, and 10%, ALL THE OTHER CRAP!! DO NOT NEED A FVCKING MARRIAGE LICENSE, TO HAVE A LIFE-LONG QUALITY RELATIONSHIP!!!!!......THINK, THINK, THINK, THINK, DON'T JUST FVCK, FVCK, FVCK, FVCK!!!! FAMILY, FIRST.....MILITARY SERVICE....SECOND!!!........DOC

It never sinks in Doc - somebody needs to reach out and smack him to bring him out from under the Power of the P!

GSEMarine94
03-26-09, 07:43 AM
Another thing to remember is the possibility of having kids. Just because you guys end up having them will NOT prevent both of you from being deployed at the same time. I have a couple of friends about to experience this next year, both are heading to A-stan and had to do some heavy planning to ensure that their two kids will be cared for while their deployment.
As you can tell from everyones responses there is a lot of things to think about besides being stationed together, so both of you should take your time and think about all aspects.

StoneTheWeak
03-26-09, 10:27 AM
lol, I hate kids corporal. If I had the option of not getting any or having kids I'd take the former. People say it's different when they are yours, but I still don't think that I'd be that great of a father till I'm at least 30.

I guess my biggest concern is being stationed together because without that, everything else isn't really doable. I don't like the idea of maybe seeing my significant other a couple weeks a year.

JWDevilDog
03-26-09, 11:24 AM
By the way, your profile needs updated. It has your bday as 2008, and your rank as E-1.

Everyone in this thread is advising you against getting married right away for a reason. They have seen what getting married, especially in a first term of enlistment, does to Marines and marriages. A couple might be head over heels in love with each other, but if one or both of them are Marines, things can go south real fast. Possibly lack of communication, or lack of seeing each other, or not being stationed together, etc. You know that nothing is guaranteed in the Marine Corps. Nothing ever is, and word is constantly changing. There is nothing we can do about it, except roll with the punches. What happens when you can't get at the same duty station, and you are in completely different units and are deployed at different times? Even if you're deployed at the same time, you would more than likely be with different units, so you wouldn't see each other for that 7, 9, or maybe even 12 month time period. That's a full year, or close to it out of the very beginning of your marriage. People always say the first few years in a marriage (for anyone) are the hardest.

Honestly, just take heed of what all your brothers are saying in this forum. It is all for good reason, not to f*** you over. Don't discredit anything or not consider something, even the children possibility.

Not taking everything into account could ruin the marriage. Imagine if it is that one detail that you don't think about that comes crashing down on you both?