PDA

View Full Version : Military Salute: Staff Sgt. Sigrid Rivera

thedrifter
03-25-09, 07:16 AM
Military Salute: Staff Sgt. Sigrid Rivera
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 3:37 PM

By Jaime Dailey - bio | email

BEAUFORT, SC (WTOC) - Training is an important part of the Marine Corps and one staff sergeant with Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 31 is leading by example and giving her fellow marines the training they need.

As the training chief for MALS 31, it's Staff Sgt. Sigrid Rivera's job to make sure every marine in the squadron measures up and gets the training they need.

"The marines keep the job fun," said Rivera. "I like training and I like training marines, that keeps me motivated all the time."

"She can motivate any marine to do whatever needs to get done," said Cpl. Victor Rodriguez.

"I expect everyone to take it seriously as I do cause coming down the line when you're in combat, you do depend on that person next to you so that's why it's important every marine trains like they're going to play out there," said Rivera.

Staff Sgt. Rivera practices what she preaches. She's now a first degree black belt instructor in the Marine Corps' martial arts program.

Knowing she has a hand in helping her fellow marines stay combat-ready, brings a real sense of pride.

"It's wonderful seeing how at the beginning they can't do it, can't see past that pain bubble and then towards the end they're like all together smiling through the pain. It's outstanding to see that change in the marines," said Rivera.

Staff Sgt. Rivera has been in the Marine Corps for nine years, but her love for the Corps began long before that.

"I saw a commercial when I was five and it kind of drew me into it and since I was five, I was going to be a marine so immediately after high school I joined," said Rivera.

For doing her part to serve our country, we at WTOC salute Staff Sgt. Sigrid Rivera.

Video

http://www.wtoc.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=3581060&h1=Military%20Salute%3A%20Staff%20Sgt.%20Sigrid%20 Rivera&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=117867&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&rnd=586208

Ellie