PDA

View Full Version : 10 Marines reservists return home to Wichita

thedrifter
03-25-09, 07:09 AM
Posted on Wed, Mar. 25, 2009
10 Marines reservists return home to Wichita
BY CHRISTINA M. WOODS
The Wichita Eagle

As 9-year-old Quentin Collins eagerly gripped a balloon bouquet for his uncle, Cpl. Cory Ward, Amanda Hawkinson teared up in anticipation.

Her husband, Sgt. John Hawkinson, was one of 10 Marine Corps Reservists coming home Tuesday after seven months in Iraq spent repairing communications equipment, among other duties.

"It's been stressful and hard," Amanda Hawkinson said of the deployment, especially because she was left alone to raise their son, Ewan, now 13 months old.

By midday, her husband was home -- greeted not only by his family, but also dozens of motorcycle riders and members of organizations such as the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3115.

"I'm a veteran supporting my country and supporting other veterans," said Terry McComber, who was among the American Legion Post 256 members who clapped and waved flags as the Marines went to baggage claim.

The moment was picture-perfect for John Hawkinson's mother, Kathy Hawkinson, his mother-in-law Donna Krammer, and a few other relatives.

Both women described the frustration of having to delay the homecoming from Saturday because flights to Wichita weren't booked in time.

"Tuesday came after all," Kathy Hawkinson said, beaming.

John Hawkinson lovingly carried Ewan, admiring how his son had grown in their time apart. His family commented, more than once, how dad and son could now get their hair cut together -- the first for the toddler.

"I'm happy to be back," John Hawkinson said.

Soaking in the moment was Pam Sawyer, whose VFW Post 3115 adopted the Marine group, sending letters, snacks and other items.

"This is the first time I got to greet one of my groups and welcome them home," Sawyer said. "I'm probably going to bawl like a baby."

Reach Christina M. Woods at 316-269-6791 or cwoods@wichitaeagle.com.

Ellie