PDA

View Full Version : New Marine Needs Help

XxDevilDogxX
07-03-03, 04:26 AM
Well, today is the greatest day of my life. As of 1100 on 02 july 2003 i oficially became a Marine. I just got back from MCRD a few hours ago and i am looking for some good pictures of eagle globe and anchors for a tattoo idea. Does anyone know a good site with some good pics? any help would be appreciated. Thnx.

Art Petersn
07-03-03, 06:03 AM
if the lord wanted you to have a tattoo he would have put one on you at birth

Dan_Mills
07-03-03, 07:00 AM
Hold the thought of that tatoo, Devil-dog, when I was on active duty and about your age, a savy "Old Corps" guy told me not to consider getting that type of "ID" until you were sure you would never fall into an enemy's hands. There are places in this world where they would cut that tatoo off you to show they had captured a Marine. Just a thought...I got mine after I got out.

airframesguru
07-03-03, 07:14 AM
Right! Given the range of bad guys and their dislike for types like us, that type of adviertisment could hurt a guy. My biggest challenge with tat's is trying to explain to my 4 year old that 1. its not a crayola and he shouldnt follw suit. 2. Getting him to understand why it was ok for me and not for him.

Good luck either way.

Semper Fi little brother!

MW

Sgt Sostand
07-03-03, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Art Petersn
if the lord wanted you to have a tattoo he would have put one on you at birth [/QUOTE

Art Petersn
let him grow to be a diehard Marine:marine:

TJR1070
07-03-03, 08:46 AM
First and foremost Congratulations Marine!

Welcome to the Brotherhood. I would recommend you heed the advise of your older and wiser brothers on this one, you have plenty of time to get at tattoo give it a little time.

Semper Fi

thedrifter
07-03-03, 09:01 AM
First.... Congratulation Marine!!!!!

Second.....

Welcome Aboard to the Best Marine Site on the net. Also welcome to your home away from home................
We have a great crew of Marines in here from WW II to the present............
Throw your sea bag in a corner, pull up a footlocker, sit and chat awhile.........

"AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD."

Sempers,

Roger

badbob
07-03-03, 09:26 AM
I’d think about it a while, you really don't need a tattoo to show the world you're a Marine.

Army General Black Jack Pershing once said of the Army, “Why can’t they be more like Marines, after all, they come from the same places, they’re basically the same men”.

Being a Marine is more than training, it’s a Mind Set, Your Attitude and Posture says all that needs saying.

Semper Fi and welcome to the Brotherhood.

Bob Neener
Golf 2/9 Lima 3/3
Vietnam 1965-1966

richgitz
07-03-03, 09:50 AM
SEMPER-FI-JarHead.
You are on in the fold. Quite an experiance so far, I''ll bet. Carry
that title with pride and the Corps will never let you down. there
may be things you will have to do, that you will not like, but it
builds character. Welcome Aboard.:yes: :banana: :banana:

Sgt0811
07-03-03, 09:54 AM
:marine:
Congratulations and welcome to the BEST.
As one of my DI's said when I was in Boot Camp; "If the Marine Corps wanted you to have one, it would have been issued to you."

Semper Fi Marine,
Chick
Sgt USMC 63-67:marine:

MAJMike
07-03-03, 12:06 PM
An article in this week's Marine Corps Times states that in the past year some 500 or so former active duty Marines were denied requests to return to active duty because of excessive tattoos.

The Corps does have a policy regarding tattoos, and until you understand what it is, I wouldn't be "inking up" just yet.

Echoing all the wizened Marines who have responded to this.... HOLD ON, SON! Don't rush out in a blaze of glory and do something that you may regret later and may cause you negative consequences.

MR Ventura
MAJ USMCR
1968-1975

JAMarine
07-03-03, 03:46 PM
:devious: You all are tough.

XxDevilDogxX made this statement:

looking for some good pictures of eagle globe and anchors for a tattoo idea.

Give this young Marine a BREAK! He probably wants to put it on his Chihuahua. Hey Xx, need to get a rid of the Taco Bell Dog and get a real one. LMMFAOROF

And 2nd Thing!

Welcome to the Family Marine. We're proud of you.

mrbsox
07-03-03, 04:42 PM
Welcome aboard, MARINE.

I'm amazed at how fast some of these guys get online after graduating. You'd think there was a Net-link machine at the PX or something. :banana:

But to the tattoo.... HOLD ON

Something I have'nt heard anybody mention yet is:

SANITATION.

Iv'e got a few tat's, and thought about having them touched up. Got 'em in '76 and '77, so they'er MANY years old now, and looking kinda rough. Having needles stuck in me from 'Joes tat's and hole N yer belly Shop' just doesn't sound as SAFE as it used to.

IF you got Hepatitius, or an infection years ago, you'd live. Some of that sh!t that is floating around today will KILL YOU... AND YOUR FAMILY. I say and your family, because you can carry this stuff for years, and NOT KNOW it.

You make the call. But, make sure it's something you WANT to live with the rest of your life.

Terry

Barndog
07-03-03, 05:48 PM
I concurr - why? This being my 25th Anniversary year, is the year I get MINE.
It took me that long to come up with the concept on paper - before I was ready to live with it the rest of my life.
I already did the holes in my ear thing. I stopped wearin those a long damm time ago.

Semper Fidelis - To the Corps

Barndog

top1371
07-03-03, 06:25 PM
Congratulations Marine!

Ok, I'll be the odd ball. I like tattoos and have six of them myself.

BUT hold on a sec and get to your command and learn about the regs first.

Like MAJMike said, check out this months copy of the Marine Corps Times and you will find the direction the Corps is going with tats.

I wont say not to get one, but rather learn about where and how big IF you decide to get one...

Semper Fi,

Devildogg4ever
07-03-03, 06:40 PM
XxDevilDogxX'

Congratulations!! Welcome to the Brotherhood and the Best Marine Site on the net!

How does it feel to be called Marine?? :banana:

Semper Fi!! :marine:

CHOPPER7199
04-14-05, 09:48 AM
Ok, read all the good reasons not to get one, but this is the best so far. I believe I read it on here or a link, as some-ones family member needed blood and the troops mustered and drove to where it was needed to find out that the ones with tats were refused. I don,t know if that is true when they have blood drives in the Corp. but worth checking out. My concern would be for my brothers first. Just this old guys opinion.

LDO Capt
04-14-05, 10:05 AM
Welcome brother, congratulations and I am glad to serve with you. Tattoos, yep got 'em, five total. To keep yourself out of trouble get them where they cannot be seen while wearing "Charlies". Please dont go to some back room somewhere, ensure the place is clean (sterile) and that they DO NOT reuse their needles. The rule for giving blood is that you can't for six monthes after getting a Tattoo, I personnelly give a pint every 90 days, mine are several years old. Make sure its what you want, forever, they are expensive to get and four times as expensive to get removed and that leaves a scar. I dont have any good pictures for you but will look around, my advise is to go to a shop and have them draw up what you want, that way you find out what kind of artists they are at the same time.

eddief
04-14-05, 10:37 AM
Tattoos are for pussies. Get branded. (just kidding guys)

kentmitchell
04-18-05, 03:35 PM
And the members of that school board can vote.
Scary.

devildawg5811
04-18-05, 06:45 PM
This is kind of strange. I agree with all of the above. I have several myself. One of which is a Red, White and Blue Eagle, Globe and Anchor which I got while in casual platoon waiting to be picked up for MOS training.

And while I wouldn't have any of my tatt's removed for anyone, I agree that you should wait. Think it through Marine. Tatt's are something that you'll have for the rest of your life (or a scar where they used to be).

It does sound like the Corps is getting stricter on tatt's. Make sure you understand fully the policies and practices.

And don't get them where they're readily visible. You may be denied special duties because of visible ink. I somehow had enough foresite to get them all where you couldn't see them in Charlies and now can wear a business suit and fool people into thinking that I'm a professional.

On another subject -- Welcome to the brotherhood. You will find no better friends than those you serve with, nor any greater pride and honor than with the Few. Semper Fi, Mac!!!

jo1753
04-18-05, 07:16 PM
I have quite a few tats........... But time have changed since i've been in............Like the Capt. and a few others mentioned if I were you, i'd make sure where you intend on putting them is allowed............ Back when I was serving....it didn't seem to bother as many people as it does today......Go figure. Like this changes how a person serves his/her country.........Or the values they hold.....LOLOL

But regs.....or regs and if I were still wearing the uniform....I wouldn't be talking like this....lolol

Welcome aboard Marine

Semper-Fi

God bless the Corps

Eric Robinson
04-19-05, 01:51 AM
that is true, we have blood drives all the time and anyone that has gotten a tat in the past year cant give blood. after a company formation a representative from the blood drive asked everyone to give blood, because they have been extremely low for a long time, and when we found out that if we had gotten a tat. in the past year more then half the Marines had to walk away. It was a very sad sight to see because that could have been ALOT of blood donated to people in need and service members fighting in Iraq. It was even worse for me cause i couldnt give blood, i now wish i would have held off a few more years.

paquick
05-18-05, 11:32 AM
AS FOR A SUGGESTION FOR A TAT, MAYBE A T.V. SET WITH RABBIT EARS. SEMPER FI TO ALL THE GUNGY HARD CHARGERS!!

hrscowboy
05-18-05, 02:10 PM
Ha ha ha eddie i like your style better anyone want branded i got the branding bars and it will only hurt for a few seconds...